Academic Hospital Cologne-Holweide
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Specialized in: gynecology, obstetrics
The Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics specialiyes on benign and malignant diseases in female patients. The range of services covers all areas of conservative and surgical gynecology. If necessary, surgical procedures are performed in outpatient regime. In particular, very important are minimally invasive treatment methods.
Typical diseases in the field of gynecology:
• Myomas are benign changes in the uterus, which may lead to metrostaxis. Depending on the location and size of myomas the hysteroscopic resection of myoma, laparoscopic myomectomy or a small abdominal wall incision can be necessary. After the end of reproductive age, the hysterectomy through the vagina can be performed –either with laparoscopy completely (a total laparoscopic assisted hysterectomy) or with laparoscopy over the vagina (laparoscopic assisted supravaginal hysterectomy). Only in some cases the abdominal walls incision is possible. Another method of treatment is uterine artery embolization, which is carried out in cooperation with Radiology Department.
• Problems with the bladder and uterine prolapse are diagnosed and can be treated at the Center for Treatment of the pelvic floor in collaboration with urologists and surgeons. Primary attention is paid to conservative therapy methods (gymnastic exercises, supported by means of electrical stimulation, etc.).
• Underlying weakness of the bladder during physical activities can be treated with a good chance of recovery with the help of vaginal bandages (TVT or TVT-O and TOT). The pelvic floor descent will be intentionally lifted. Depending on the examination results, conducting of vaginal correction with the partial mesh implantation (colporrhaphy, vaginal fixation according to Amreich-Richter and mesh implantation) can be required. In cases of younger patients the laparoscopic fixation (laparoscopic sacrocolpopexy) can be used. Thus, the uterus can be saved.
• Endometriosis has a multifaceted disease picture and requires an individual treatment approach. In case of operation, complete sanation is required, it can be performed using either laparoscopic method or in case of the the bowel involvement using means of multidisciplinary surgery.
• Cervical carcinoma (cervical cancer) can usually be prevented by regular screening and detection at an early stage. The therapy is based on modern methods. If there is a necessity to remove the uterus, so it can also be done laparoscopically with the examination of lymph nodes (radical laparoscopic hysterectomy, Wertheim's operation).
• Uterus cancer (endometrial cancer) usually occurs in an old age. The decisive step on the way to its healing is removal of the uterus and ovaries. Depending on the examination results, the lymph nodes along the pelvic and abdominal vessels are removed. Using laparoscopic method makes the operation much more sparing.
• Ovarian cancer often requires a multidisciplinary treatment. As same as with all cancer tumors, the procedure will be discussed at the interdisciplinary conferences on cancer treatment.
• Vulvar cancer (carcinoma of the vulva) is a rare disease. With help of the individual operational treatment methods in particular during the treatment of sentinel lymph node (signaling method) situation with possible side effects can be greatly improved.
In addition, at the Women Department in Cologne Holweide, about 2 000 children have been born by women with a high premature birth risk percentage as well as with a high risk level of childbirth every year. Thus, in the maternity room at least two doctors and two midwives are working 24/7. The aim of the maternity ward is to support a natural childbirth. Perinatal center also specializes on premature chuldbirth and on pregnancies with a high level of risk.
The Academic Hospital Cologne-Holweide is a part of the University of Cologne. Alongside with a wide range of treatment of diseases represented in the clinic, the hospital specializes in the following areas: gynecology and obstetrics, urology, ENT therapy, radiology. There is also a specialized clinic for the treatment of visceral (internal organs of the body). The Academic Hospital Cologne-Holweide applies minimally invasive technologies and sparing treatment methods.
Accommodation in hospital
The kid rooms have everything needed for a comfortable stay. The kid bathroom includes both a toilet and a shower. All rooms offer functional beds with orthopaedic mattresses ensuring unsurpassed support for overall body during sleep. There are bedside stands with pull-out tables, lockers and safe boxes in each room. It is also possible to access the Internet from a PC, smartphone or tablet so that kids always keep in touch with their parents and other family members. There is also a TV in each room.
You can opt for a single or a double room. An accompanying person may stay with the kid in the room. A double room is shared with another patient.
The enhanced comfort rooms are equipped with a safety box, a fridge and upholstered furniture.
Meals and Menus
The patient and the accompanying person are offered a daily choice of three menus. If you are on a specific diet for any reason, you will be offered an individual menu. Please inform the medical staff about your dietary preferences prior to the treatment.
Standard rooms include:
Christian priests are available for the patients at any time. Representatives of other religions may be requested at any time.
Your companion may stay with you in your room or at a hotel of your choice during the fixed program.
You may stay at the hotel during the outpatient program. Our employees will support you for selecting the best option.
Academic Hospital Cologne-Holweide
- Cologne, Germany
Haven't found Your diagnosis yet?
Send an inquiry to get a cost estimate on: