Academic Hospital Merheim Cologne
Department of Abdominal, Vascular and Transplant Surgery
Markus M. Heiss
Specialized in: general surgery, abdominal surgery
Experts of the Surgical Department believe that the main task of the maximum medical support is providing patients with the entire spectrum of general and minimally invasive surgery a the highest level ("keyhole surgery"). In February 2013 the Department received an award from the German Society of General and Visceral Surgery, and since that time it is the first and still the only center of the advanced experience in the field of minimally invasive surgery.
Medical Specialty of the Department:
- Thoracic surgery: oesophagus surgery
- Vascular surgery/ visceral Surgery: surgery of aortic aneurysm, open surgical procedures with aorta replacement (vascular prosthesis) and interventional surgery (aorta stenting)
- Vascular/ visceral surgery: open surgery and endovascular treatment of vascular diseases. The status of routine patients at the interdisciplinary conference of specialist doctors (consultation) on vascular surgery is discussed and their treatment plan is determined
- Vascular/ visceral surgery: conservative treatment of arterial vascular diseases
- Vascular/ visceral surgery: diagnosis and treatment of venous diseases and complications
- Vascular/ abdominal surgery: kidney surgery
- Vascular/ visceral surgery: endocrine surgery, thyroid, parathyroid, primary and secondary hyperparathyroidism, adrenal glands surgery, including the use of minimally invasive operating techniques
- Vascular/ visceral surgery: gastrointestinal surgery, surgery of large tumors of the esophagus and stomach, laparoscopic surgery of the colon and rectum
- Vascular/ visceral surgery: kidney, gall bladder, pancreas surgery, classical resection of tumors of the liver and pancreas, the local removal of liver tumors by means of radio-frequency radiation, conducting cholecystectomy according to the NOTES technology (transvaginal cholecystectomy in female patients)
- Sutureless surgery
- Vascular/ visceral surgery: cancer surgery, clinical focus: multimodal treatment methods thanks to close cooperation with the Tumor Center in Rhein, e.g., pre-treatment with chemotherapy or radiation in conjunction with surgery. The Department is a center for the treatment of peritoneal carcinose in case of gastric cancer and colorectal cancer, incl. HIPEC therapy (hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion). Clinical and scientific application of intraperitoneal immune therapy with trifunctional antibodies (katumaksomab)
- Vascular/ visceral surgery: transplantation surgery.
- Kidney transplantation is the main clinical direction of the transplantation surgery. The pancreas and kidney transplantations are successfully carried out here. Another major focus of the work is the program of in vivo kidney donation with laparoscopic removal of the donor kidney.
- Vascular /visceral surgery: bariatric surgery, the use of minimally invasive surgical techniques of all common surgical procedures of bariatric and metabolic surgery
- General surgery: minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery, the use of minimally invasive surgical techniques for almost all diseases
- General surgery: minimally invasive endoscopic surgery as part of an interdisciplinary endoscopy in collaboration with the
- Medical Departments I and II
- General surgery: special out-patient reception hours, reception hours on visceral surgery, oncology, colorectal, coloproctological diseases, on bariatric and metabolic surgery, hernia, vessels, private reception hours
- General surgery: Surgical Intensive Care Medicine
- Intensive care and intermediate care
- Visceral surgery: hernial center. As part of an integrated contract for maintenance the removal of the inguinal, umbilical and abdominal hernias with postoperative care on an outpatient basis is performed. All the classic and laparoscopic treatment methods are applied at the same time.
The Academic Hospital Cologne-Merheim is part of the University of Cologne. Besides a wide range of treatment of diseases presented in the clinic, the hospital specializes in the following areas: ophthalmology, radiology, neurosurgery, plastic surgery, orthopedics and traumatology and so on. The Academic Hospital Cologne-Merheim specializes in the application of minimally invasive technologies and meets the strict criteria of modern medicine.
Accommodation in hospital
The kid rooms have everything needed for a comfortable stay. The kid bathroom includes both a toilet and a shower. All rooms offer functional beds with orthopaedic mattresses ensuring unsurpassed support for overall body during sleep. There are bedside stands with pull-out tables, lockers and safe boxes in each room. It is also possible to access the Internet from a PC, smartphone or tablet so that kids always keep in touch with their parents and other family members. There is also a TV in each room.
You can opt for a single or a double room. An accompanying person may stay with the kid in the room. A double room is shared with another patient.
The enhanced comfort rooms are equipped with a safety box, a fridge and upholstered furniture.
Meals and Menus
The patient and the accompanying person are offered a daily choice of three menus. If you are on a specific diet for any reason, you will be offered an individual menu. Please inform the medical staff about your dietary preferences prior to the treatment.
Standard rooms include:
Christian priests are available for the patients at any time. Representatives of other religions may be requested at any time.
Your companion may stay with you in your room or at a hotel of your choice during the fixed program.
You may stay at the hotel during the outpatient program. Our employees will support you for selecting the best option.
Academic Hospital Merheim Cologne
- Cologne, Germany
Haven't found Your diagnosis yet?
Send an inquiry to get a cost estimate on: