Breast cancer diagnosis (program ID: 228383)
Academic Hospital Harlaching Munich
Dieter GrabSpecialized in: gynecology, mammology, obstetrics
According to the Focus magazine rating of 2017, the Department of Gynecology, Mammology and Obstetrics at the Academic Hospital Harlaching ranks among the top German departments specializing in obstetrics and breast cancer treatment!
The Department of Gynecology, Mammology and Obstetrics at the Academic Hospital Harlaching provides all types of diagnostics and treatment of gynecological diseases. It treats both typical female diseases and severe diseases of the genital organs and breasts in women. There are treated over 5,500 inpatients every year. The department is the certified Breast Center and the Gynecologic Oncology Center. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Dieter Grab.
The Academic Hospital Harlaching is the certified Gynecologic Oncology Center, which has been successfully certified by the the German Cancer Society in 2010 and repeatedly in 2013. This means that the Department of Gynecology meets all professional quality requirements of the German Cancer Society.
In the field of surgical treatment, preference is given to sparing surgery and multimodal therapy. Surgical interventions are performed in the most sparing way – surgical instruments are inserted through small incisions in the abdominal cavity, which significantly reduces pain and shortens the period of hospital stay. Minimally invasive surgery can be used to treat almost all benign and some malignant tumors. Another basic principle of surgical treatment is the removal of the smallest possible volume of tissues, which makes a special sense in the desire to have children.
Furthermore, the department is responsible for the competent therapy for breast cancer. Targeted treatment is based on both comprehensive and accurate diagnosis. To this end, the department has all modern diagnostic tools. The department pays special attention to the breast-conserving approach and is proud that in the past it was possible to save the breast despite the presence of a tumor in 80% of patients. If it is impossible to perform breast-conserving surgery, doctors offer complete amputation of the breast (mastectomy) with the further reconstruction. For this purpose, the department collaborates with an experienced plastic surgeon, who also advises on whether breast should be reconstructed using implants or patient’s own tissues.
Special focuses of the Department of Gynecology:
- Breast cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Fibroids, endometriosis (tumors, neoplasms, growths)
- Weak pelvic floor, incontinence
- Uterine prolapse, etc.
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical blood test
- inflammation markers (CRP, ESR)
- blood coagulation analysis (aPTT, PT, INR)
- tumor markers (CEA, CA 15-3, CYFRA 21-1, NSE)
- mammology examination:
- breasts ultrasound
- ultrasound of pelvic organs and abdomen
- MRI of the breasts (if indicated clinically, additional cost is 1200€)
- FNA biopsy with histological study (if indicated clinically, additional cost is 2000€)
- HER2 status
- breast cancer index (BCI)
- estrogen and progesteron receptors analysis (ER, PR)
- Oncotype DX test (if indicated clinically, additional cost is 4000 €)
- Mammaprint test (if indicated clinically, additional cost is 3000 €)
- nursing services
- consultation of related specialists
- treatment by chief physician and all leading experts
- explanation of individual treatment plan
You may also book
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Breast cancer diagnosis
- Hospital: Academic Hospital Harlaching Munich
- access_time Duration: