Department of Pediatric Neurological Rehabilitation
Specialized in: pediatric neurorehabilitation
The Department of Pediatric Neurological Rehabilitation at the HELIOS Clinic Hattingen is headed by Dr. med. Ulf Hustedt. It treats patients of all age groups from infancy to young adults with motor or intellectual disorders, e.g., after the following diseases:
- Brain damage due to injuries / traumatic brain injury
- Brain damage from lack of oxygen (hypoxia)
- Brain damage due to inflammation
- Cerebral hemorrhage / stroke
- Brain tumor
- Spinal cord injury
- Neuromuscular disease
- Cerebral Palsy
- Congenital malformation of the nervous system (such as spina bifida)
- Orthopedic corrective surgery (for example, in case of hip dislocation, curvature of the spine)
The aim of the rehabilitation treatment is the reduction or regression of the disease-related functional disorders in order to give the patients an independent life and to lay the foundations for a normal development of physical and mental abilities.
The following symptoms can be detected as well:
- Spastic or flaccid paralysis of the extremities
- Balance disorders
- Disorders of fine motor skills
- Speech and language disorders
- Swallowing disorders
- Impaired memory and concentration
- Poor understanding and
- comprehension of visual and auditory information etc.
The Department of Pediatric Neurological Rehabilitation at the HELIOS Clinic Hattingen under the direction of Dr. med. Ulf Hustedt provides treatment to the patients of all age groups after neurosurgery, e.g., due to:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Brain or spine tumors
- Cerebral hemorrhage
- Pathologies of the central nervous system
- Strokes, brain injuries due to the disturbed circulation (ischemic stroke)
- Reduced oxygen supply to the brain (hypoxia)
The range of medical rehabilitation services at primarily covers the following clinical pictures:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Cerebral hemorrhages due to aneurysm, subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Spontaneous hemorrhages due to the high pressure or vascular anomalies (cavernous angioma, arteriovenous fistula, angioma)
- Benign and malignant tumors of brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves (e.g., metastases, astrocytoma, glioblastoma, meningioma, ependymoma, medulloblastoma)
- Brain injuries due to the disturbed circulation (ischemic stroke) or reduced oxygen supply to the brain (hypoxia)
- Spine diseases with the focus on lesions of the spinal cord (traverse myelitis), nerve roots and peripheral neurological complications (herniated discs, spinal stenosis, tumors, hemorrhages, accidents)
- Pathologies of the brain and spinal cord (hydrocephalus, syringomyelia, meningocele)
- Injuries of the peripheral nerves
Especially during the treatment of the patients in childhood and adolescents the range of services offered by the Department of Pediatric Neurological Rehabilitation at the HELIOS Clinic Hattingen under the direction of Dr. med. Ulf Hustedt is completed with the following clinical pictures:
- Congenital or acquired in early childhood neurological disorders or brain injuries
- Condition after preterm birth
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Developmental disorders of different etiologies or unknown origin
- Inflammatory diseases of the central nervous system
School-age children can receive education in the hospital's own, state recognized school, regardless of the holiday period, individually or in groups. They learn the subjects, which are necessary for the next class.
The HELIOS Clinic Hattingen is a rehabilitation center for neurology, neurosurgery and pediatric neurology for adults, adolescents and children. It has 210 beds for adults and 60 beds for children and adolescents. The HELIOS Clinic Hattingen offers the adequate follow-up/ rehabilitation of neurosurgical and neurological patients in the early and subsequent rehabilitation stages, stage B (C +), C and D.
The Сlinic has an Intermediate Care Unit for the patients in the early stage after acute disease and a Department of Psychiatric Rehabilitation with a closed neuro station and a closed garden, which is integrated spatially and therapeutically.
The HELIOS Clinic Hattingen is certified by the Hospital Association Schleswig-Holstein, participates in the quality management process of statutory health insurance, and is a certified partner of the University of Health Sciences in Bochum (Hochschule für Gesundheit Bochum).
Accommodation in hospital
The kid rooms have everything needed for a comfortable stay. The kid bathroom includes both a toilet and a shower. All rooms offer functional beds with orthopaedic mattresses ensuring unsurpassed support for overall body during sleep. There are bedside stands with pull-out tables, lockers and safe boxes in each room. It is also possible to access the Internet from a PC, smartphone or tablet so that kids always keep in touch with their parents and other family members. There is also a TV in each room.
You can opt for a single or a double room. An accompanying person may stay with the kid in the room. A double room is shared with another patient.
The enhanced comfort rooms are equipped with a safety box, a fridge and upholstered furniture.
Meals and Menus
The patient and the accompanying person are offered a daily choice of three menus. If you are on a specific diet for any reason, you will be offered an individual menu. Please inform the medical staff about your dietary preferences prior to the treatment.
Standard rooms include:
Christian priests are available for the patients at any time. Representatives of other religions may be requested at any time.
Your companion may stay with you in your room or at a hotel of your choice during the fixed program.
You may stay at the hotel during the outpatient program. Our employees will support you for selecting the best option.
- Hattingen, Germany
Haven't found Your diagnosis yet?
Send an inquiry to get a cost estimate on: