University Hospital rechts der Isar der TU München
Department of Urology
Jürgen E. Gschwend
Specialized in: urology
A team of 20 physicians of the Department of Urology at the university hospital Klinikum rechts der Isar under the direction of Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Jürgen E. Gschwend provides state-of-the-art medical and surgical patient care in all areas of adult and pediatric urology. These include diseases of the following organs: kidney, urine bladder, ureter and urethra as well as prostate, testicles, epididymis, spermatic duct and penis. The Department offers patients comprehensive diagnosis, consultation and therapy using the latest scientific findings and methods.
The medical team of the Department of Urology at the university hospital Klinikum rechts der Isar under the direction of Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Jürgen E. Gschwend is a specialist in the surgical and conservative treatment of urological tumors as well as in the minimally invasive microsurgical operations. The innovative methods, such as high-frequency surgery, allows surgeons to perform low bleeding surgery. The Department offers a broad range of services of alternative surgical techniques specifically for the treatment of benign enlargement of the prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia).
The team of physicians has experience in the treatment of the following diseases:
- Surgical/drug therapy of urological tumors (prostate, bladder, testicles, kidney, epididymis and penis tumors)
- Urinary stones
- Congenital anomalies of the genitourinary tract
- Erectile dysfunction
- Neuro-urological disorders
The service spectrum comprises all areas of conservative and surgical urology:
- Kidney tumor: radical and organ-preserving renal tumor surgery
- Bladder tumor: radical cystectomy (nerve-sparing surgery in female and male patients) with continent (i.e. orthotopic ileal neobladder, continent pouches) and incontinent (i.e. conduit) urinary diversions
- Prostate cancer: radical prostatectomy (potency-preserving)
- Testicular cancer: testis-sparing surgery in selected cases and retroperitoneal lymph node dissection
- Chemotherapy: all standard chemotherapy and immunotherapy protocols for urologic
- malignancies and additional new drugs within clinical trials
- Ureter replacement
- Bladder replacement
- Partial urethral replacement
- Penile prosthesis implantation
- Artificial urinary sphincter
- Kidney pelvis-plasty
- Surgical treatment of urinary incontinence (i.e. fascial slingplasty, TVT, TOT, Burch colposuspension)
Kidney Stone Disease
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL)
- Semi-rigid and flexible ureteroscopy (URS/ RIRS)
- Percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PNL and Mini-PNL = „keyhole surgery for kidney stones“)
- Open surgery for stone removal
Robotic laparoscopy da Vinci®
- Removal of kidney cysts
- Excision of lymphocele
- Kidney removal
- Partial kidney resection
- Kidney pelvis-plasty in case of renal pelvis stenosis
- Radical prostatectomy
- Lymph node removal
The rechts der Isar Hospital is the University Hospital of the Technical University of Munich. There is intensive cooperation between the research facilities of the TU and the hospital in numbers of areas.
With a workforce of around 5,000 employees, the university hospital Clinic right of the Isar is a renowned center for patient care, medical research and teaching of medicine. Every year, around 60,000 patients benefit from in-patient care and 245,000 patients – from outpatient care of the highest medical standard.
Through a close cooperation between patient care and research facilities, patients benefit from new scientific findings as quickly as possible.
The University Hospital rechts der Isar is composed of 33 separate clinics and departments and has 1,100 beds. This enables patients, according to their diagnosis, to receive treatment from doctors of various medical fields.
Accommodation in hospital
The kid rooms have everything needed for a comfortable stay. The kid bathroom includes both a toilet and a shower. All rooms offer functional beds with orthopaedic mattresses ensuring unsurpassed support for overall body during sleep. There are bedside stands with pull-out tables, lockers and safe boxes in each room. It is also possible to access the Internet from a PC, smartphone or tablet so that kids always keep in touch with their parents and other family members. There is also a TV in each room.
You can opt for a single or a double room. An accompanying person may stay with the kid in the room. A double room is shared with another patient.
The enhanced comfort rooms are equipped with a safety box, a fridge and upholstered furniture.
Meals and Menus
The patient and the accompanying person are offered a daily choice of three menus. If you are on a specific diet for any reason, you will be offered an individual menu. Please inform the medical staff about your dietary preferences prior to the treatment.
Standard rooms include:
Christian priests are available for the patients at any time. Representatives of other religions may be requested at any time.
Your companion may stay with you in your room or at a hotel of your choice during the fixed program.
You may stay at the hotel during the outpatient program. Our employees will support you for selecting the best option.
University Hospital rechts der Isar der TU München
- Munich, Germany
Haven't found Your diagnosis yet?
Send an inquiry to get a cost estimate on: