University Hospital rechts der Isar der TU München
Department of Surgery
Prof. Dr. med.
Specialized in: general surgery, visceral surgery and transplant surgery
Curriculum vitae keyboard_arrow_down
- 1982 Abitur
- 1982 - 1988 Medical School, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
- 1990 Dissertation: The role of gastrointestinal hormones in the adaptation of the pancreas following gastrectomy (PD Dr. M.W. Büchler), University of Ulm, Germany
- 1998 Habilitation: Growth factors and growth factor receptors in pancreatic cancer (Prof. Dr. M. W. Büchler), University of Bern, Switzerland
- 2003 Professor of pancreatic surgery and molecular pancreatic research, University of Heidelberg, Germany
- 2007 Chairman of the Department of Surgery, Technische Universität München, Munich, Germany
- 1988 - 1991 Internship, University of Ulm, Department of General Surgery (Chairman: Prof. Dr. H. G. Beger)
- 1991 - 1992 Postdoctoral researcher, University of Ulm, Department of General Surgery (Chairman: Prof. Dr. H. G. Beger)
- 1992 - 1993 Postdoctoral researcher, University of California, Irvine, USA, Departments of Medicine and Biological Chemistry (Prof. Dr. M. Korc)
- 1993 - 1996 Resident, University of Bern, Inselspital, Department of General Surgery (Chairman: Prof. Dr. M. W. Büchler)
- 1996 - 2001 Attending Surgeon, University of Bern, Inselspital, Department of General Surgery (Chairman: Prof. Dr. M. W. Büchler)
- 2001 - 2007 Vice Chairman, University of Heidelberg, Department of General Surgery (Chairman: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. M. W. Büchler)
- 2007.7 - now Chairman, Department of Surgery, Technische Universität München, Munich, Germany
- 1994 Assistant Editor of the Journal Digestive Surgery
- 1997 Editorial Board of the International Journal of Pancreatology
- 1998 Doctor honoris causa, Medical Faculty, Northern Hospital, Shenyang, China
- 1998 Scientific Committee, European Pancreatic Club
- 1998 External examiner, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
- 1999 Doctor honoris causa, Railway Medical College, Nanjing, China
- 1999 External Reviewer: Oncology-Molecular Biology-Pathogenesis, Surgical Forum, German Surgical Society.
- 1999 Editorial Bord of the Journal of the Pancreas
- 1999 Visiting Professor, Nanjing Railway Medical College, Nanjing, China
- 2000 Member of the Publication Committee of the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
- 2000 Fellow ad eundem, Royal College of Surgeons of England
- 2000 Visiting Professor, Southeast University Nanjing, China
- 2000 Visiting Professor, Peking Union Medical College Hospital and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences
- 2001 Editorial Board of Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery
- 2002 Editorial Board; Molecular Cancer
- 2003 Council at large of the International Hepato-Pancreatobiliary- Biliary Association (IHPBA)
- 2003 Honorary Professor, R.E. Kavetsky Institute of Experimental Pathology, Oncology and Radiobiology, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- 2003 Member of the General Assembly, United European Gastroenterology Federation (UEGF)
- 2005 Secretary, European Digestive Surgery (EDS)
- 2005 Councillor for Clinical Sciences, European Pancreatic Club (EPC)
- 2005 Secretary Elect, European Pancreatic Club (EPC)
- 2005 Honorary Member, Romanian Academy of Medical Sciences, Bucharest, Romania
- 2007 Editor Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery
- 2009 Annali Italiani di Chirurgia
- 2010 Co-Editor, Editorial Board, Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery
- 2011 President, Association of Bavarian Surgeons (VBC)
The Department of Surgery at the university hospital Klinikum rechts der Isar under the direction of Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Helmut Friess, in collaboration with other health services, provides a comprehensive range of services. The only exception is the cardiovascular surgery. The chief physician of this Department is Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Helmut Friess.
All main diagnostic facilities of the university hospital Klinikum rechts der Isar are of course available to the customer around the clock. These have state-of-the-art equipment such as X-ray including computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance tomography (MRT) and positron emission tomography (PET).
Visceral Surgery: The core competence of Visceral Surgery at the university hospital Klinikum rechts der Isar lies in the treatment of cancer diseases of stomach and breast level organs. These include lung and the entire digestive system including esophagus, stomach, intestines, liver and gall bladder. The diseases of the following organs are also treated in this department: kidney and spleen as well as endocrine organs such as thyroid and parathyroid or pancreas.
Interdisciplinary cooperation at the Center for Tumor Therapy: A central factor here is the close interdisciplinary cooperation with other medical specialties, in particular with internal medical oncologists and radiotherapists.
General Surgery and Transplant Surgery: The general surgery is mainly performed on an outpatient and hospital-replacing or short-term inpatient basis. A minimally invasive procedure with the aid of an endoscope (keyhole surgery) is preferred, which leads to least possible surgical strain for the patient and due to a tiny incision through the skin and tissues resulting in less pain and faster post - operation recovery.
Accommodation in hospital