diagnostic:Myelodysplastic syndrome (mds). Diagnostic abroad
Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) is hemopoesis disorder caused by the development of genetic mutations in stem cells. An overwhelming number of patients visit the physician for the first time with complaints of fatigue, dizziness and drowsiness. This clinical picture is not specific, so the diagnosis requires a careful examination of the patient.
The diagnostic plan is determined by the hematologist or oncologist. During the primary visit, the professional clarifies complaints, conducts clinical examination and collects the case history. If any signs of MDS are found, a set of laboratory and instrumental studies is prescribed:
- Complete blood count with reticulocytes. The hemogram of the sick patients show a reduced number of all major elements of blood, i.e. red blood cells, platelets and white blood cells, while the content of red blood cell precursors, i.e. reticulocytes, is increased.
- Blood chemistry. It allows diagnosing changes in the liver and kidneys, which accompany the disease development.
- The morphological, immunohistochemical, and cytogenetic analysis. It detects the presence of tumor cells, studies their structure and genotype. A sample of venous blood or bone marrow of the patient is taken for analysis.
- Abdominal ultrasound, comprehensive CT or MRI. The visual diagnostic methods reveal the internal organ impairment.
- Bone marrow aspiration biopsy (ilium wing biopsy). Using a special needle, the bone marrow sample is taken from the patient and sent for histological analysis. According to the study findings, MDS is distinguished from the other malignant blood diseases.
During diagnostics, the patient is prescribed various drugs to alleviate the condition. During treatment, the patient uses the nursing services. The cost of drugs depends on the treatment intensity. According to the research findings, the physician establishes an accurate diagnosis and provides recommendations for further action.Hide
Haven't found Your diagnosis yet?
Send an inquiry to get a cost estimate on: