Prof. Dr. med. Thomas BenzingCurriculum vitae keyboard_arrow_down
- 1985 Matriculation exam, Laufenburg Prize.
- 1987 - 1993 Faculty of Medicine, Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg; thesis defense under the direction of Prof. Dr. R. Busse. Subject: "Investigation on the regulation of the formation of endothelial physiologically active substances".
- 1993 - 1996 One year of compulsory practice, medical practice and clinical training led by Prof. Dr. P. Schollmeyer, University of Freiburg, Nephrology and General Medicine.
- 1996 - 1998 Fellow at the Institute of Cardiovascular Physiology, Prof. Dr. R. Busse, JWG University Hospital Frankfurt.
- 1998 - 2000 Fellow, Nephrology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston (Director: Prof. Dr. Vikas Sukhatme, PI: Prof. Dr. G. Walz). DFG Research Fellowship.
- 2000 Visiting Scientist (EMBO) under the direction of Prof. Dr. L. Naldini, Turin, Italy: "Lentiviral Gene Transfer".
- 2000 - 2002 Group Leader and Assistant Physician with Prof. Dr. G. Walz, Department of Internal Medicine IV, Nephrology and General Medicine, University Hospital Freiburg.
- 2002 - 2003 Assistant Professor in Experimental Medicine for "Regulation of RGS proteins".
- 2002 - 2003 Specialist in Nephrology, Hypertensiology (German Hypertension League); Venia Legendi for Internal Medicine.
- 2003 - 2006 Chief Physician of the Department of Internal Medicine IV, nephrology, hypertensiology and general medicine, University Hospital Freiburg. Medical Director: Prof. Dr. G. Walz. Heisenberg Fellowship of German Research Foundation DFG.
- 2006 - 2007 Professor of Medicine (W3), Deputy Medical Director of the Department of Internal Medicine IV, University Hospital Freiburg. Director of the Center for Biosystem Analysis (ZBSA) Freiburg.
- Since 2007 Professor of Medicine (W3), Chief Physician of the Department of Internal Medicine IV, University Hospital Cologne.
Main honors and awards
- 2004 Dr. Adalbert Buding Research Prize of the German Hypertension League.
- 2005 Honorary title "Fellow of the American Society of Nephrology " for outstanding merits in nephrological research by the American Society of Nephrology.
- 2005 Franz Volhard Prize of the Society of Nephrology (highest Research Award of the German-speaking Nephrology).
- 2006 Young Investigator Award of the American Association of Nephrology.
- 2008 Member of the Ludwig Heilmeyer Society.
- 2008 Ernst Jung Award (Medicine).
- 2008 Award for Teaching in Human Medicine, University of Cologne.
- 2008 Award of the German Society of Nephrology.
- 2009 Award of the German Society of Nephrology.
- 2010 Member of the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina.