Charite University Hospital Berlin
location_on Berlin, Germany
Department of Infectology and Pulmonology ( 26112)
Prof. Dr. med.
Specialized in: infectology, pulmonology
Curriculum vitae keyboard_arrow_down
- Since 2016, Medical Director of the Center 12 (CC12) at the University Hospital Charite.
- Since 1999, Professor (C4), Department of Infectology and Head of the Department of Infectology and Pulmonology, University Hospital Charite.
- 1999 Additional qualifications in Internal Medicine, Infectology and Intensive Care for Internal Diseases.
- 1998 Additional qualifications in Infectology and Environmental Medicine.
- 1997 Qualification in Pulmonology.
- 1996 Advanced training in Intensive Care for Internal Diseases.
- 1993 - 1998 Professor (C3), German Foundation for the Development of Science.
- 1990 Habilitation.
- 1984 - 1998 Fellow (Physician/Senior Physician), Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Giessen.
- 1982 - 1984 Fellow of the Institute of Clinical Chemistry and Pathobiochemistry, Giessen University.
- 1980 - 1982 Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Stanford University, Palo Alto, California, USA.
- 1979 PhD defense.
- 1972 - 1979 Study of Medicine at the Universities of Münster and Giessen.
Memberships in the Scientific Societies and Committees
- Since 2016, Member of the Committee of the German Society of Internal Medicine.
- Since 2014, Co-chairman of the BMBF CAPSyS Association (systemic medicine and pneumonia).
- Since 2013, Member of the "Evaluierung" Senate Committee of the Association of Leibniz.
- 2012 - 2016 Member of the Professional Board "Diseases of the Cardiovascular System and Lungs" of the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- Since 2008, Member of the Commission on Drugs, German Medical Association.
- 2002 - 2010 Representative of the network of BMBF CAPNETZ Competence Centers (pulmonology).
- Since 2007, Representative of the BMBF PROGRESS network (susceptibility factors in pneumonia and sepsis).
- Since 2006, Board Member of the German Society of Infectology (DGI).
- 2004 - 2008 Member of the Professional Board "Inflammation" of the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- Since 2005, Reviewer of the DFG/BMBF program "Clinical Trials".
- Since 2005, Board Member of the German Society of Infectology.
- Since 2003, Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the German Medical Association.
Awards and Honorary Memberships
- Since 2000, Member of the Academy of Naturalists "Leopoldina".
- Since 1999, Member of the Academy of Charitable Sciences in Erfurt.
- 1991 Award of the University of Giessen for the best doctoral thesis.
- 1990 Frey Award of the German Society for Intensive Care.
- 1980 - 1982 Scholarship of DAAD and Francis North Foundation, USA.
- 1972 - 1979 Scholarship of the Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes.
The Department of Infectology and Pulmonology at the University Hospital Charite provides treatment of infectious and pulmonary diseases. The department headed by Univ.-Prof. Dr Norbert Suttorp is located at the Vichow-Klinikum and the Charité Mitte Campuses.
The Department of Infectology and Pulmonology specializes in the following focuses:
- Infectious diseases with pronounced clinical symptoms (infectious diseases), including HIV and AIDS, tropical diseases and highly contagious diseases
- Pulmonary (lung diseases) with a particular focus on pneumological oncology and pulmonary hypertension
- Intensive and respiratory medicine, including interdisciplinary intensive care, treatment of lung lesions (ARDS) and oxygen therapy for chronic respiratory failure.