Charite University Hospital Berlin
Department of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology
Prof. Dr. med.
Specialized in: pediatrics
Curriculum vitae keyboard_arrow_down
- Graduation 1993, University of Essen Medical School, Germany
- Doctorate 1991 – 1993, Institute of Molecular Biology, University of Essen Medical School, Germany Topic: Preparation and characterisation of adenovirus 12-specific polyclonal antibodies directed against specific E1A tumor antigens.
- 1993 – 1997 Resident, Department of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, University Hospital Essen, Germany
- 1997 – 2000 Postdoctoral Research Fellow to Group of Prof. G.M. Brodeur (Deutsche Krebshilfe / Wolfson Career Development Grant), The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, USA
- 2000 – 2002 Clinical Fellow, Department of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, University Hospital of Essen, Germany
- 2003 – 2004 Senior Physician (Oberärztin), Department of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, University Hospital of Essen, Germany
- Habilitation 2004, University of Duisburg-Essen Medical School, Germany Topic: Expression and biological function of neurotrophin receptors and receptors of the TNF-family in embryonal tumors
- 2005-2008 Professor of Pediatric Oncology Research (C3) and Deputy Director, Department of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, University Hospital of Essen, Germany
- 2006-2008 Interim Director, Dept. of Neonatology, Neuropediatrics and Pediatric Intensive Care Medicine
- Since 2007 Director, University of Essen Comprehensive Cancer Center (WTZ)
- Since 2008 Director, Department of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Pulmology and Cardiology, University Hospital of Essen, Germany
- 2009-2011 Executive MBA in “International Hospital & Health Care Management, Frankfurt School of Finance and Management, Germany
- Since 1994 German Pediatric Society
- Since 1998 American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- Since 2000 German Society for Pediatric Hematology and Oncology (GPOH)
- Since 2000 International Society for Pediatric Oncology (SIOP)
- 1997 Young Investigator Award: International Symposium on Advances in Neuroblastoma Research, City of Bath, United Kingdom.
- 1998 Evans-Prize: International Symposium on “Advances in Neuroblastoma Research”, Philadelphia, USA
- 2000 Poster Prize of the German Society of Pediatrics
- 2000 Dr. Odile Schweisguth Prize, SIOP Meeting, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 2000 Research Prize of the WTZ, Essen, Germany
- 2001 AACR Young Investigator Award, New Orleans, USA
The Department of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology at the University Hospital Charité Berlin is located at the Virchow-Klinikum Campus. The Director of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Angelika Eggert.
The Pediatric Oncology and Hematology Department at the University Hospital Charité Berlin treats children and adolescents with malignant diseases of the hematopoietic system, with benign and malignant tumors, non-malignant, congenital or acquired disorders of blood formation and clotting and offers post operation services for patients.
The concept behind the Department of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology at the University Hospital Charité Berlin is it to improve the diagnosis, therapy, prognosis, rehabilitation and the closer understanding of diseases through the cooperation of all occupational groups and interdisciplinary collaboration. It treats every year nearly 100 patients with a new diagnosed malignant disease and 25 patients with a relapse. Besides, 40-50 hematopoietic stem cell transplantations are performed annually in their stem cell unit.
The spectrum of treatment modalities of the Department of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology includes the following options:
- Cancer treatment in childhood and adolescence
- Hematology in childhood and adolescence
- Stem cell Transplantation
- Leukemia treatment
Particular focus lies in the treatment of leukemia and neuro-oncology.