University Hospital Cologne
Department of Nuclear Medicine (278023)
Specialized in: nuclear medicine
About the department
The Department of Nuclear Medicine at the University Hospital Cologne under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Alexander Drzezga offers the entire spectrum of diagnosis and treatment in the field of nuclear medicine. The main objective of the department is to achieve the highest possible diagnostic result and treatment effect with a minimal strain exerted on the patient.
The range of medical services of the department includes:
- Imaging diagnosis of oncological diseases by means of conventional (SPECT) and modern multimodal methods (PET-CT)
- Diagnosis of neurodegenerative diseases (Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease) by means of the most advanced methods of molecular imaging
- Diagnosis and treatment of thyroid diseases
- Modern forms of diagnosis and treatment of prostatic cancer: the cutting-edge tumor imaging by means of PSMA-PET/CT (PSMA: prostate specific membrane antigen) with the use of markers [68Ga] PSMA and [18F] PSMA enables the high quality imaging diagnosis of prostate tissues (also at PSA level lower 1 ng/ml). The PSMA-binding molecule mark by a therapeutically effective irradiator ([177Lu]PSMA) can be used as a form of modern therapy.
- Radionuclide therapy for other oncological diseases
- Peptide radioreceptor therapy (PRRT) for neuroendocrine diseases
- Selective internal radiation therapy (SIRT) for liver tumors / metastases
- Therapies, e.g. MIGB-therapy for neuroblastoma and pheochromocytoma radioimmunotherapy for lymphoma
Education and professional career
- Since 2012 Professor and Chair, Department of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital Cologne.
- 2011 - 2012 W2 Professor for Multimodal Imaging in Neurodegenerative Disorders, Technical University of Munich (TUM).
- 2009 - 2010 Visiting Professor at Harvard Medical School (Heisenberg fellow), Massachusetts General Hospital, Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Boston, USA.
- 2005 - 2012 Assistant Professor for Nuclear Medicine, TUM.
- 2002 - 2012 Consultant for Nuclear Medicine, Department of Nuclear Medicine, TUM.
- 2002 Board Certification for Nuclear Medicine.
- 1997 - 2002 Residency, Department of Nuclear Medicine, TUM.
- 1997 Step 2 of the USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Examination).
- 1996 German State Medical Examination and Medical License.
- 1994 Step 1 of the USMLE.
Awards, distinctions and professional achievements
- Since 2017 Director of the Brain Imaging Council, Board of Directors, Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (SNMMI).
- Since 2015 Chairman of the Ethics Committee, University of Cologne.
- Since 2015 Executive Board Member of the German Society for Nuclear Medicine (DGN).
- 2013 - 2017 Chair of the Scientific Program Committee for Molecular Imaging, Radiological Society of North America (RSNA).
- Since 2013 Member of the Neuroimaging Council (NIC) of the European Association for Nuclear Medicine (EANM).
- 2013 - 2016 Chair of the Committee for Diagnosis-Related Group Systems (DRG) and activity recording, German Society for Nuclear Medicine (DGN).
- 2012 Editor’s Choice Award of the Journal of Nuclear Medicine 2012.
- 2010 "Hiruma-Wagner Award" of the Research Foundation for Opto-Science and Technology.
- 2008 "Heisenberg-Grant" of the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- 2006 "The Alzheimer’s Disease Neuroimaging Award" of the International Alzheimer’s Association.
Department of Nuclear Medicine.
University Hospital Cologne:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home