University Hospital Jena
Department of Ophthalmology
Specialized in: ophthalmology
The Department of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Jena, with 45 beds in the inpatient department, provides treatment for about 3,000 inpatients and for more than 20,000 outpatients per year. The Department of Ophthalmology, under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Daniel Meller, covers the entire spectrum of both surgical and conservative ophthalmology, and is primarily dedicated to the patients’ needs and interests.
The range of services of the Department of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Jena, headed by Prof. Dr. med. Daniel Meller, encompasses, inter alia, the following:
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the eyelids, lacrimal system and orbit
- Diagnosis and treatment of tumors of the eye and its appendages
- Diagnosis and treatment of conjunctiva diseases
- Diagnosis and treatment of injuries of the sclera, cornea, iris and ciliary body
- Diagnosis and treatment of lens diseases
- Diagnosis and treatment of retina and choroid diseases
- Diagnosis and treatment of glaucoma
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the vitreous body and globe
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the optic nerve and visual pathways
- Diagnosis and treatment of the eye muscle disorders, binocular movement, accommodation and refraction disorders
- Diagnosis and treatment of visual impairment and blindness
- Ophthalmic rehabilitation
- Adaptation of vision correction means
- Diagnosis and treatment of strabologic and neuroophthalmologic diseases
- Plastic surgery
- Diagnosis and treatment of other diseases of the eye and its appendages
- Laser eye surgery
- Treatment with Botox
- Diagnosis and treatment of skin tumors in the eyelid
- Diagnosis and treatment of the macula diseases to determine the indications for intravitreal injections
The University Hospital Jena, looking back on a history of more than 200 years, is the only university hospital in the state of Thuringia. The tradition of medical education at the University Hospital Jena is even older – being one of the founding faculties of the Friedrich Schiller University, the Medical Faculty looks back on an experience of more than 450 years.
Today, the University hospital with a staff of more than 4,500 employees is the biggest employer in the region. Every year, its 26 clinical centers provide care for more than 300,000 in- and outpatients. 2,400 students of medicine and dentistry study medicine here, and scientists and physicians from more than 25 nations contribute to the further development of medicine. In the latest FOCUS clinic list, the University Hospital Jena occupies the 16th place.
The University Hospital Jena also enjoys an excellent reputation far beyond Germany and has a long-lasting experience in treatment and care for international patients. The hospital invites patients from all over the world, who want to receive treatment in Germany and to benefit from the latest scientific findings and high-standard medical treatment and patient care.
Accommodation in hospital
The kid rooms have everything needed for a comfortable stay. The kid bathroom includes both a toilet and a shower. All rooms offer functional beds with orthopaedic mattresses ensuring unsurpassed support for overall body during sleep. There are bedside stands with pull-out tables, lockers and safe boxes in each room. It is also possible to access the Internet from a PC, smartphone or tablet so that kids always keep in touch with their parents and other family members. There is also a TV in each room.
You can opt for a single or a double room. An accompanying person may stay with the kid in the room. A double room is shared with another patient.
The enhanced comfort rooms are equipped with a safety box, a fridge and upholstered furniture.
Meals and Menus
The patient and the accompanying person are offered a daily choice of three menus. If you are on a specific diet for any reason, you will be offered an individual menu. Please inform the medical staff about your dietary preferences prior to the treatment.
Standard rooms include:
Christian priests are available for the patients at any time. Representatives of other religions may be requested at any time.
Your companion may stay with you in your room or at a hotel of your choice during the fixed program.
You may stay at the hotel during the outpatient program. Our employees will support you for selecting the best option.
University Hospital Jena
- Jena, Germany
Haven't found Your diagnosis yet?
Send an inquiry to get a cost estimate on: