Acibadem Healthcare Group Istanbul
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurology, Neurosurgery (302407)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric neurology, neurosurgery
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurology, Neurosurgery at Acibadem Healthcare Group Istanbul
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurology, Neurosurgery at the Acibadem Healthcare Group provides the comprehensive diagnostics, conservative and surgical treatment of the full range of diseases of the nervous diseases. The department's doctors have vast experience in the treatment of particularly complex clinical cases in neurology. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Koray Özduman.
The department deals with the treatment of patients of all age groups. The clinical practice is based on a multidisciplinary approach and the use of the very latest therapeutic techniques. The department is considered one of the leading Neurosurgery Centers worldwide. The department's specialists perform many successful operations to treat meningiomas, chordomas, schwannomas, aneurysms, arteriovenous and cavernous malformations.
The department's neurosurgeons use the very latest technologies for the treatment of adults and children with neurological and neurosurgical diseases. These include 3 Tesla MRI, which facilitates the total removal of the tumor, reduces the frequency of follow-up interventions and minimizes side effects caused by the operation. In addition, the department has innovative Gamma Knife Perfexion (Gamma Knife) system, which is used for the treatment of brain tumors. This system has a number of advantages, such as the higher accuracy and efficiency, minimal damage to the healthy brain tissues, no need for rehabilitation measures, no incisions on the head. The patient can return home already on the day of treatment.
The department's competence includes the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Brain diseases in adults
- Benign and malignant brain neoplasms
- Skull base tumors
- Neurovascular diseases
- Intracerebral hemorrhage (hemorrhagic stroke)
- Cerebral thrombosis (ischemic stroke)
- Brain aneurysms
- Arteriovenous malformations
- Cavernous malformations
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Congenital malformations
- Infectious brain lesions
- Movement disorders
- Pain syndromes
- Spinal diseases in adults
- Spinal disc herniation (cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine)
- Degenerative and age-related spinal changes
- Spinal and spinal cord tumors
- Spinal arteriovenous malformations
- Spinal injuries
- Infectious spinal lesions
- Peripheral nerve diseases in adults
- Compression syndromes
- Traumatic injuries
- Neurological and neurosurgical diseases in children
- Congenital brain malformations
- Arachnoid cysts
- Craniovertebral junction anomalies
- Spinal dysraphism
- Cerebral palsy
- Other diseases in adults and children
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Koray Özduman
Education and Qualifications
- 1992 - 1998 Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Turkey.
- 1999 - 2005 Residency, Faculty of Medicine, Marmara University, Department of Neurosurgery.
- 2002 - 2003 Clinical Research Fellow, Yale University, Department of Neurosurgery.
- 2005 - 2007 Scientific Internship, Yale University, Department of Neurosurgery.
- 1998 Turkish License for Clinical Practice, Istanbul.
- 2002 ECFMG (Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates) Certificate.
Clinical and Scientific Career
- 1992 Member of the Student Research Group (Blood Brain Barrier) at the Istanbul University.
- 1995 L.J. Saphiro Scholarship of the University of Rochester, New York, Member of the Summer Program of the Strong Children's Research Center.
- 1996 Research Program of the University of Rochester (Comprehensive Epilepsy Program – Basic Research Laboratory; Electrical and Chemical Kindling Research; Signal Function of Nerve Growth Factor).
- 1997 Summer Optional Program on Neurosurgery of the Faculty of Medicine, Yale University.
- 1999 Two-week Summer Optional Program at the Boyer Institute for Molecular Medicine at Yale University.
- 2000 Clinical Research Fellow, Department of Neurosurgery, Matsumoto University, Japan.
- 2002 - 2003 Clinical Fellow in the Department of Neurosurgery at Yale University, First Resident who took part in "Yale-Turkey neurosurgical traveling fellowship program".
- 2005 Completion of Residency in Neurosurgery and Medical License for Neurosurgical Practice in Turkey.
- 2005 - 2007 Research Fellow in Neuro-Oncology at Yale University.
- 2007 - 2008 Military Service in the Turkish Army with the Rank of Second Lieutenant; Chief Neurosurgeon at the Gümüşsuyu Military Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Since 2008 Work in the Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurology, Neurosurgery at the Acibadem Healthcare Group Istanbul.
- 2009 - 2016 Assistant Professor, Faculty of Medicine, Acibadem University (Neurosurgery).
- 2016 Professor of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, Acibadem University.
- 1999 Johns Hopkins University, Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Emergency Course in Neurology and Neurosurgery.
- 1999 Florence Nightingale Hospital, Istanbul.
- 1999 Head Injury Training Course, Turkish Neurosurgical Society.
- 2001 European Association of Neurosurgical Societies, "Methodological Course of Researches and Publications", Ankara, Turkey.
- 2001 Course on the surgical treatment of orbital pathologies, Marmara University, Institute of Neurological Sciences, Istanbul.
- 2001 Training Course on Oncopathology, Turkish Neurosurgical Society, Turkey.
- 2002 RUNN Course (Research Update in Neuroscience for Neurosurgeons), USA.
- Training Course in Cerebrovascular Surgery, Turkish Neurosurgical Society, Turkey.
- 2003 Training Course, Marmara University, Institute of Neurological Sciences, Istanbul.
- 2006 Scientific Research Conference: "Models and Mechanisms of Cancer Development", Bryant University, Smithfield, USA.
- 2007 Lecture Course in Virology, Department of Genetics, Yale University, USA.
- 2008 6th Roche School on Clinical Researches, Ankara, Turkey.
- 2013 Scientific Research Conference: "Cancer Genetics and Epigenetics", Italy.
- 2016 LXXXI Cold Spring Harbor Symposium on Quantitative Biology (Focus on Cancer), USA.
- 2016 Gamma-Knife Icon advanced training courses, Department of Neurosurgery, University of Pittsburgh, USA.
- 2017 Updated Gamma-Knife Icon Course, Department of Neurosurgery, Cleveland Clinic.
- 2018 Cold Spring Harbor Symposium on Quantitative Biology (Development Mechanisms and Cancer Models), USA.
- 1995 University of Rochester, Department of Pediatrics, L.J. Saphiro Research Scholarship.
- 2004 Turkish Scientific and Technical Research Council, Prize of the Brain Research Society (TUBITAK-BAD).
- 2006 Anna-Fuller Scholarship in Molecular Neuro-Oncology.
- 2009 Hamit Ziya Gökalp Prize of the Turkish Neurosurgical Society (Young Researcher First Prize).
- 2011 Honorary Prize of the Mahir Tevruz for Scientific Researches of the Turkish Neurosurgical Society.
- 2015 Best Thesis Report Award, Nervous Tumor Section, American Association of Neurological Surgeons.
- 2018 Prize of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons.
- Section on the Central Nervous System Tumors of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons.
- Society for Neuro-Oncology.
- European Association of Neuro-Oncology.
- American Association for Cancer Research.
- International Meningioma Society.
- Turkish Neurosurgical Society.
- Tumor Working Group of the Turkish Neurosurgical Society (TURNOG).
- Turkish Neurological Society.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Acibadem Healthcare Group Istanbul
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurology, Neurosurgery.
Acibadem Healthcare Group Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.