Comprehensive treatment of hepatitis in Germany
Hepatitis is a medical term for the inflammatory process in the liver. Viral and toxic alcoholic hepatitis are the most common forms of the disease. Any inflammatory processes in the liver are dangerous as they lead to the hepatocytes (liver cells) lesion and their replacement with the connective tissue. Hepatitis carries a risk of liver insufficiency, cirrhosis, liver cancer, and often causes fatal outcomes.
The Booking Health portal presents 25 German clinics specializing in hepatitis treatmentShow all clinics
Hepatitis – Diagnostics
Different types of hepatitis have different diagnostic criteria. Basic examinations that help doctor to establish the diagnosis are:
- Blood chemistry test helps to assess the liver function based on the laboratory parameters.
- Ultrasound examination of the abdominal cavity organs. Doctor sees the increase of liver and spleen sizes, changes in the organ’s parenchyma and the bile ducts condition.
- Serological diagnostics. Blood is tested for the antibodies against the infectious hepatitis.
- PCR. Polymerase chain reaction is one more method for determination of infectious agents. It helps to reveal the genetic material of the virus and identify its type.
- Liver biopsy allows to receive biological material for the cytological or morphological examination. Liver biopsy helps to identify type of the hepatitis and also to differentiate the inflammatory liver lesion from other hepatobiliary system pathologies.
Best clinics for the hepatitis diagnostics in Germany:
University Hospital Duesseldorf
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
University Hospital Ulm
Hepatitis – Treatment
Hepatitis is treated conservatively. Therapy methods depend on the etiology of the inflammatory process in the liver. The following methods are:
- Viral hepatitis requires the antiviral medications that block pathogen’s replication.
- Toxic hepatitis requires usage of the specific antidote to the toxin detected in the blood, if the one exists. Detoxification therapy is also performed.
- Radiation hepatitis doesn’t have any specific treatment. The patient is prescribed hepatoprotectors, the medications that support liver function. Detoxification and symptomatic therapy are also performed.
- Autoimmune hepatitis requires life-long prescription of the glucocorticoid hormones that suppress the autoimmune inflammatory reaction.
Some of the patients might need the liver transplant as the hepatitis can become a reason of the fibrosis and cirrhosis in the future. Liver insufficiency arises. Viral hepatitis can cause the hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer).
Hepatitis – Rehabilitation
Rehabilitation is the process of body restoration from injuries, surgeries or diseases. General therapeutic rehabilitation is indicated for patients after conservative and surgical treatment of the internal organs diseases. In the case of hepatitis, rehabilitation helps to restore liver function and improve the patient’s quality of life.
The most modern rehabilitation programs are used in Germany. They are adapted individually for each patient, and are based on the recent disease, age, physical possibilities, and the results of treatment. Different specialists such as: therapists, gastroenterologists, hepatologists, psychologists, physiotherapists are involved in the rehabilitation process.
The following methods of rehabilitation are used:
- Dosed physical activity
- Training on the simulators and in the pool
- Physiotherapeutic procedures, including magnetic therapy and electrophoresis
- Hyperbaric oxygenation
- Natural factors of the nature (mud, thermal waters, etc.)
- Mineral water drinking
Rehabilitation includes medication support. If necessary, a doctor prescribes hepatoprotectors, antiviral and choleretic drugs, vitamins, and drugs for the improvement of intestinal microflora. It is necessary to hold a consultation with the patient about the proper nutrition (the patient should exclude spices, fried and smoked food, butter products, sour fruits and berries, coffee, alcohol). It is better to give preference to sparing methods of cooking, such as roasting, steaming.
Rehabilitation programs in Germany are designed for 2 weeks. If necessary, they can last much longer. In this country, the patient is provided with qualitative care, accommodation in comfortable rooms and individually selected meals.
Rehabilitation programs in Germany show one of the best results in the world. Most patients successfully restore their employability and excellent health there. They remain physically active, return to the full social and family life.
Best clinics for general therapeutic rehabilitation in Germany:
Max Grundig Clinic Buehl
804Per daySee More
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova
Here you can find the cost of treatment for this disease at the German University Hospitals. Leave a request and we will provide a free consultation with a doctor and will start organizing the whole treatment process.
The program includes the following:
- Issuing of an invitation for getting a visa for treatment as quick as possible
- Fixing an appointment at a time convenient for you
- Preliminary organization of a comprehensive examination and discussion of the forthcoming treatment plan
- Arranging transfer from the airport to the hospital and back to the airport
- Provision of interpreting services and services of a personal medical coordinator
- If necessary, assistance in the organization of further surgical treatment
- Provision of a medical insurance against treatment complications covering up to 200,000 euro
- Preparation and translation of medical records and recommendations from the hospital
- Assistance in the subsequent communication with your attending physician, including consultations on repeated X-ray images through the unique medical document management system E-doc