Treatment of stomach (gastric) cancer in Germany
Stomach cancer is one of the most dangerous oncological diseases, as it is usually diagnosed at the late stage. More than 50% of the people who suffer from this disease die within a year after the establishment of the diagnosis. Nowadays stomach cancer is considered to be the most common malignant tumour in the world, though there is a tendency to decrease in the occurrence of this disease.
The Booking Health portal presents 73 German clinics specializing in stomach (gastric) cancer treatmentShow all clinics
Stomach cancer – Diagnostics
The main diagnostics methods are instrumental examinations. If a stomach cancer is suspected, the following investigations are performed:
- Radioscopy. The patient drinks a liquid (contrast medium). Then, with the help of an X-ray a doctor assesses the state of the stomach in real time.
- Gastroscopy is the endoscopic method, which allows to obtain a biopsy for cytological and histological examination of the tumour. It is taken from 3-4 areas of the gastric mucosa.
- Ultrasound examination and CT are non-invasive diagnostic methods that help to detect metastases and evaluate the nature of the tumour growth.
- Laparoscopy assumes penetration into the abdominal cavity and identifies places of the pathological process which are not available for the diagnostics with the help of noninvasive techniques.
Best clinics for the stomach cancer diagnostics in Germany:
University Hospital Duesseldorf
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Hospital Sachsenhausen - Academic Hospital of the University of Frankfurt am Main
Stomach cancer – Treatment
Surgery is the main treatment method in the case of stomach cancer. Choice of a surgery type depends on the extension of the pathological process, its location and size of the tumor, presence of metastases, germination of the malformation in the nearby structures.
Following types of the operations are performed:
- Endoscopic electrical excision (it is applied very rarely, only in the case of the localized cancer without metastases)
- Subtotal resection (partial removal of the stomach)
- Gastrectomy (removal of the entire stomach)
Gastric cancer can require not only radical, but also palliative surgeries. Resection of the stomach may be carried out, even if the tumour has already spread metastases into the liver, lymph nodes or other structures. Palliative surgeries allows to improve the patient's quality of life.
Not only the stomach, but other organs also can be removed during the intervention, depending on the clinical situation (e.g., spleen, part of the liver, small intestine). Chemotherapy and radiation therapy are also used, but they are additional methods of treatment, with a minimal impact on the patient's survival.
Stomach cancer – Innovative treatment
The latest treatment techniques are actively used for the treatment of stomach cancer. Medicine is developing and new drugs or methods of influence on the malignant cells appear every year.
- Polyadenylic acid and the polyuridylic acid are used for the immunotherapy of the cancer. According to the Korean trials, it helps to lengthen the patient’s life, increasing the remission period after the surgery.
- Blockers of the epidermal receptor of the growth factor are new drugs for targeted therapy. They are applied in order to block a protein that stimulates the growth of cancer cells.
- HER2 factor blockers. They are used for targeted therapy. They affect only cancer cells, as they have the high content of the protein on their surface. There are drugs in this group, which have been clinically tested and approved for the treatment of advanced gastric cancer.
- Intraperitoneal immunotherapy is administered in case of peritoneal carcinomatosis. The purpose of a treatment is the removal of ascites (accumulation of the large amounts of fluid in the abdominal cavity). The treatment is carried out with the intraperitoneal injection of monoclonal antibodies.
Best clinics for the stomach cancer treatment in Germany:
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Academic Hospital Asklepios Barmbek Hamburg
Charite University Hospital Berlin
Stomach cancer – Rehabilitation
Most patients require rehabilitation after the treatment of complex oncological diseases. It includes the following aspects:
- Prevention of complications that may occur as a result of treatment. It can be pneumonia, lymphostasis, thromboembolic or infectious complications.
- Restoration of general health. The elimination of the consequences after surgeries and chemotherapy is carried out. The functions of internal organs are restored with the help of various medical and rehabilitation measures.
- Restoration of occupation. A person must not just stay alive. He must have physical and intellectual capabilities, which are sufficient for employment.
- Psychological support. First of all, it is required for patients, whose occupational performance was harmed because of the disease. Patients with deterioration of appearance also will benefit from psychological help.
- Restoration of appearance. If necessary, you can use surgical and other methods in Germany to restore appearance defects caused by cancer. For example, to carry out the reconstruction of the breast.
- Social and domestic rehabilitation. A person with reduced workability is trained to act in the society and perform everyday tasks in new conditions.
In German clinics, rehabilitation is carried out in a comprehensive manner. The patients are provided with qualitative care here. Doctors' monitoring and conservative treatment allow to avoid complications, which usually happen after treatment of oncological diseases. Psychotherapy, physiotherapy and physical therapy are actively used in Germany.
Specialists in different medical spheres take part in the rehabilitation process. These are massage therapists, speech therapists, specialists in physiotherapy exercises, physiotherapists. Social and occupational therapy is carried out, as well. If necessary, people are taught how to eat properly, take care of a colostomy or urostomy, etc.
In Germany, rehabilitation is carried out with the maximum level of comfort for the patient. A person feels the results quite quickly and it improves his motivation and promotes further recovery.
Best clinics for oncological rehabilitation in Germany:
Max Grundig Clinic Buehl
1398.14Per daySee More
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova
Here you can find the cost of treatment for this disease at the German University Hospitals. Leave a request and we will provide a free consultation with a doctor and will start organizing the whole treatment process.
The program includes the following:
- Issuing of an invitation for getting a visa for treatment as quick as possible
- Fixing an appointment at a time convenient for you
- Preliminary organization of a comprehensive examination and discussion of the forthcoming treatment plan
- Arranging transfer from the airport to the hospital and back to the airport
- Provision of interpreting services and services of a personal medical coordinator
- If necessary, assistance in the organization of further surgical treatment
- Provision of a medical insurance against treatment complications covering up to 200,000 euro
- Preparation and translation of medical records and recommendations from the hospital
- Assistance in the subsequent communication with your attending physician, including consultations on repeated X-ray images through the unique medical document management system E-doc