Treatment of choriocarcinoma in Germany
Choriocarcinoma is a rare malignant female tumor occuring in the uterus of the chorionic villi. The tumor is associated with the pregnancy, as it develops from the tissues surrounding the fetus. China and Indonesia have the highest incidence of this tumor. Choriocarcinoma is diagnosed 30-40 times more often in Asian countries than in the European.
Choriocarcinoma – Diagnostics
There are four ways to diagnose choriocarcinoma:
- Clinical examination
- Histological examination
- Laboratory diagnostics
Objective exam and woman’s complaints help to suspect the illness. A reliable clinical sign of choriocarcinoma is the appearance of dark red nodes on the mucous membrane of the cervix or vagina.
Indirect signs are also taken into account:
- Cyanosis (blue tint) of the genital tract mucous membrane
- Enlargement of the uterus with softening sites on it
- Intrauterine fetal death
- Irregular menstrual cycle (if a woman is not pregnant)
- Discharge from the genital tract
- Anemia (low hemoglobin level in the blood)
- Cramping pain in the lower abdomen
- Signs of pregnancy in the absence of a fetus according to ultrasound
- Uterine rupture
- Hemoptysis (consequence of tumor metastasis to the lungs)
Laboratory and instrumental diagnostics techniques are used to confirm the diagnosis. A reliable biochemical marker of choriocarcinoma is an increased level of the hormone of pregnancy in the blood and urine – chorionic gonadotropin.
The final diagnosis is established on the basis of the histological examination of the biological material obtained during the uterus scraping.
Best clinics for the choriocarcinoma diagnostics in Germany:
University Hospital Ulm
Charite University Hospital Berlin
University Hospital Muenster
Choriocarcinoma – Treatment
Chemotherapy is the basis of treatment. Administration of high-quality medicines helps to destroy the tumor completely in the majority of cases.
It is noteworthy, that surgery is still required in the certain cases. Specialists don’t perform it in young women, who want to preserve the reproductive function, unless the intervention is life-saving. Nevertheless, in certain cases even young patients still have to undergo extirpation of the uterus.
Indications for a surgery in women of reproductive age:
- Chemotherapy resistance
- Frequent life-threatening bleedings
- Threat of the uterine perforation
- Internal bleeding
- The size of uterus over 13 weeks of pregnancy
Radiation therapy is only applied as an additive method and is usually used if a patient is resistant to chemotherapy or if there are metastases present.
Best clinics for the choriocarcinoma treatment in Germany:
University Hospital Ulm
Pediatric Diagnostic Hospital M1 Munich
Charite University Hospital Berlin
Choriocarcinoma – Rehabilitation
After treatment of complex oncological diseases most patients require rehabilitation. It includes the following aspects:
- Prevention of complications that may occur as a result of treatment. It can be pneumonia, lymphostasis, thromboembolic or infectious complications.
- Restoration of general health. The elimination of the consequences after surgeries and chemotherapy is carried out. The functions of internal organs are restored with the help of various medical and rehabilitation measures.
- Restoration of occupation. A person must not just stay alive. He must have physical and intellectual capabilities, which are sufficient for employment.
- Psychological support. First of all, it is required for patients, whose occupational performance was harmed because of the disease. Patients with deterioration of appearance also will benefit from psychological help.
- Restoration of appearance. If necessary, you can use surgical and other methods in Germany to restore appearance defects caused by cancer. For example, to carry out the reconstruction of the breast.
- Social and domestic rehabilitation. A person with reduced workability is trained to act in the society and perform everyday tasks in new conditions.
In German clinics, rehabilitation is carried out in a comprehensive manner. The patients are provided with qualitative care here. Doctors' monitoring and conservative treatment allow to avoid complications, which usually happen after treatment of oncological diseases. Psychotherapy, physiotherapy and physical therapy are actively used in Germany.
Specialists in different medical spheres take part in the rehabilitation process. These are massage therapists, speech therapists, specialists in physiotherapy exercises, physiotherapists. Social and occupational therapy is carried out, as well. If necessary, people are taught how to eat properly, take care of a colostomy or urostomy, etc.
In Germany, rehabilitation is carried out with the maximum level of comfort for the patient. A person feels the results quite quickly and it improves his motivation and promotes further recovery.
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova
Here you can find the cost of treatment for this disease at the German University Hospitals. Leave a request and we will provide a free consultation with a doctor and will start organizing the whole treatment process.
The program includes the following:
- Issuing of an invitation for getting a visa for treatment as quick as possible
- Fixing an appointment at a time convenient for you
- Preliminary organization of a comprehensive examination and discussion of the forthcoming treatment plan
- Arranging transfer from the airport to the hospital and back to the airport
- Provision of interpreting services and services of a personal medical coordinator
- If necessary, assistance in the organization of further surgical treatment
- Provision of a medical insurance against treatment complications covering up to 200,000 euro
- Preparation and translation of medical records and recommendations from the hospital
- Assistance in the subsequent communication with your attending physician, including consultations on repeated X-ray images through the unique medical document management system E-doc