Comprehensive treatment of duodenal cancer in Germany
Duodenal cancer is a rare severe malignant oncologic disease with serious prognosis. The proportion of this illness among all the gastrointestinal tract cancer types is only 2%. Duodenal cancer is usually diagnosed in elderly people and it rarely affects people under 50 years.
The Booking Health portal presents 73 German clinics specializing in duodenal cancer treatmentShow all clinics
Duodenal cancer – Diagnostics
Duodenal cancer is often diagnosed at its latter stages, when a tumour is already large. Patients usually come to the doctor when a malformation obstructs the intestine lumen or bile ducts.
The symptoms are nonspecific, and therefore you can’t really suspect the cancer just according to the complaints and clinical signs. Hence, instrumental diagnostic techniques are required, so that the proper duodenal cancer treatment can be administered.
The tumour can be detected by means of radiography, but further it will need to be distinguished from the cancer of another location with the help of fibrogastroduodenoscopy. A special tube with the camera is inserted into the duodenum to explore its cavity. The biopsy can be done at the same time for further histological tests of a sample tissue which helps to confirm a diagnosis.
A CT evaluates the extension of the pathological process. This is an X-ray method of investigation, which obtains a layered image of the abdominal cavity structures. CT is carried out with a contrast agent to detect duodenal cancer.
Best clinics for the duodenal cancer diagnostics in Germany:
University Hospital Duesseldorf
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Hospital Sachsenhausen - Academic Hospital of the University of Frankfurt am Main
Duodenal cancer – Treatment
Surgery is the key method of treating duodenal cancer. The extent of the intervention depends on the stage of the pathologic process and tumour location. Small tumours can be removed via endoscopy, when surgical instruments are inserted into the duodenum through a tube.
In most cases, an open or laparoscopic operation is performed (with the placement of the endoscope with camera and surgical instruments through small incisions into the abdominal cavity), aimed at the removal of:
- Duodenum (part)
- Duodenum (total)
- Regional lymph nodes
- The pancreas head, the part of the small intestine, stomach, liver
Chemotherapy is used both as a part of comprehensive therapy in addition to the surgery and without surgery, if cancer is unresectable. Medicines can be prescribed before the surgery to reduce the tumour size and after it – to reduce the risk of the recurrence and prolong the remission period.
New substances for the drug therapy are being developed. Clinical trials, aimed to evaluate the effectiveness of Bevacizumab, show promising results. Bevacizumab blocks the formation of new vessels that feed the tumour. The inhibitor is already being used for colon cancer treatment. This medicine will help to prolong life of the patients suffering from duodenal cancer, as well.
Best clinics for the duodenal cancer treatment in Germany:
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
St. Vincentius Hospital Karlsruhe-Academic Hospital of the University of Freiburg
Charite University Hospital Berlin
Duodenal cancer – Rehabilitation
After treatment of complex oncological diseases most patients require rehabilitation. It includes the following aspects:
- Prevention of complications that may occur as a result of treatment. It can be pneumonia, lymphostasis, thromboembolic or infectious complications.
- Restoration of general health. The elimination of the consequences after surgeries and chemotherapy is carried out. The functions of internal organs are restored with the help of various medical and rehabilitation measures.
- Restoration of occupation. A person must not just stay alive. He must have physical and intellectual capabilities, which are sufficient for employment.
- Psychological support. First of all, it is required for patients, whose occupational performance was harmed because of the disease. Patients with deterioration of appearance also will benefit from psychological help.
- Restoration of appearance. If necessary, you can use surgical and other methods in Germany to restore appearance defects caused by cancer. For example, to carry out the reconstruction of the breast.
- Social and domestic rehabilitation. A person with reduced workability is trained to act in the society and perform everyday tasks in new conditions.
In German clinics, rehabilitation is carried out in a comprehensive manner. The patients are provided with qualitative care here. Doctors' monitoring and conservative treatment allow to avoid complications, which usually happen after treatment of oncological diseases. Psychotherapy, physiotherapy and physical therapy are actively used in Germany.
Specialists in different medical spheres take part in the rehabilitation process. These are massage therapists, speech therapists, specialists in physiotherapy exercises, physiotherapists. Social and occupational therapy is carried out, as well. If necessary, people are taught how to eat properly, take care of a colostomy or urostomy, etc.
In Germany, rehabilitation is carried out with the maximum level of comfort for the patient. A person feels the results quite quickly and it improves his motivation and promotes further recovery.
Best clinics for oncological rehabilitation in Germany:
Max Grundig Clinic Buehl
804Per daySee More
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova
Here you can find the cost of treatment for this disease at the German University Hospitals. Leave a request and we will provide a free consultation with a doctor and will start organizing the whole treatment process.
The program includes the following:
- Issuing of an invitation for getting a visa for treatment as quick as possible
- Fixing an appointment at a time convenient for you
- Preliminary organization of a comprehensive examination and discussion of the forthcoming treatment plan
- Arranging transfer from the airport to the hospital and back to the airport
- Provision of interpreting services and services of a personal medical coordinator
- If necessary, assistance in the organization of further surgical treatment
- Provision of a medical insurance against treatment complications covering up to 200,000 euro
- Preparation and translation of medical records and recommendations from the hospital
- Assistance in the subsequent communication with your attending physician, including consultations on repeated X-ray images through the unique medical document management system E-doc