Hirslanden Andreasclinic Cham Zug Cham
Department of Adult and Pediatric Gynecology, Obstetrics (26201)
Andreas Reinhold Günthert
Specialized in: adult and pediatric gynecology, obstetrics
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Gynecology, Obstetrics at the Hirslanden Andreasclinic Cham Zug Cham provides the comprehensive diagnostics and treatment of all diseases of the female reproductive organs in accordance with the standards of modern medicine. The department deals with the diagnostics and treatment of women of all age categories, including girls. The spectrum is complemented with the integrated management of pregnancy, childbirth and follow-up care of the mother and child. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Andreas Reinhold Günthert.
The specialists of the medical facility provide medical care to patients with general gynecologic problems, and also have exceptional competencies in the treatment of cancers of the female reproductive organs. Depending on a particular diagnosis, both conservative and surgical treatment can be provided. The minor interventions are performed on an outpatient basis.
General gynecology is mostly focused on outpatient consultations, preventive examinations and treatment of general disorders of women's health, for example, blood-clotting disorders, urinary incontinence, uterine fibroids, etc. If surgical treatment is necessary, the preference is given to minimally invasive endoscopic procedures.
The special role in clinical practice is given to gynecologic oncology, which deals with the diagnostics and treatment of malignancies and precancerous conditions of the ovaries, uterus and vulva. The treatment is provided in interdisciplinary collaboration, if possible, using minimally invasive techniques and preserving fertility in patients of reproductive age. The therapeutic offer also includes genetic counseling for women with cancer of the reproductive organs in family medical history. If necessary, the consultation can be complemented by genetic diagnostics (in cooperation with the Institute of Medical Genetics of the Cantonal Hospital Aarau).
An integrated part of clinical practice is obstetrics. The department has state-of-the-art ultrasound systems for a reliable monitoring of pregnancy during all trimesters. The expectant mothers can also get consultation on all issues regarding pregnancy and childbirth. If desired, the future mothers can take part in training for childbirth. About 470 babies are born in the department's delivery rooms annually.
The childbirth takes place in the modern delivery rooms with a birthing bed, supportive devices for childbirth, a bath for childbirth in water. If necessary, C-section can be performed in the operating room – in most cases, spinal anesthesia is used so the woman is conscious and sees the birth of her child. Both in natural childbirth and in C-section, a father or someone close may be present. During the first hours after childbirth, the baby will stay with the mother to strengthen the bond between them (bonding). If necessary, obstetricians will help with breastfeeding. Also, the child can further stay with the mother in the patient room. After the birth of a child, the department's pediatricians carry out all the necessary examinations to assess his condition and exclude any pathologies.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of common gynecologic diseases (genitourinary infections, uterine fibroids, endometriosis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of cancers and precancerous conditions of the female reproductive organs (uterine cancer and cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, vulvar cancer, cervical dysplasia), including genetic counseling
- Mind-Body-Medicine (MBM) concept for cancer patients (combination of exercise, including yoga, qigong, relaxing treatments, diet therapy and acupuncture)
- Diagnostics and treatment of gynecological disorders in girls and women
- Diagnostics and treatment of hormonal disorders in women (for example, in menopause)
- Diagnostics of the causes of infertility
- Physiotherapy (for example, for chronic pains in the pelvic area and lower abdomen)
- Integrated management of pregnancy, including high-risk pregnancies, multiple pregnancies
- Consultations on pregnancy and childbirth
- Maternity training courses
- Moxibustion (one of the methods of reflexology – heating of acupuncture points with moxas, miniature wormwood cigarettes)
- Breastfeeding counseling
- Childbirth in modern delivery rooms (three maternity rooms) in a pleasant atmosphere, under the strict guidance of experienced specialists
- Natural childbirth
- Childbirth in water
- Cesarean section
- Individual postnatal care for mother and baby
- Comprehensive examination of the child by the department's pediatricians
- Other medical services
- Gynecological surgery.
- Gynecologic oncology.
- Diagnostics and treatment of breast diseases.
- Diagnostics and treatment of vulvar diseases.
- Diagnostics and treatment of cervical dysplasia.
- Diagnostics and treatment of endometriosis.
Education and Professional Career
- 1991 - 1997 Study of Human Medicine, Heidelberg University and Yogyakarta State University in Indonesia (German Academic Exchange Service).
- 1997 - 1998 Assistant Physician, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Marburg.
- February 1999 Doctoral thesis defense, Heidelberg University. Subject: "Regulation of loss of adhesion between epithelial cells in apoptosis".
- 1998 - 2002 Assistant Physician, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Göttingen.
- 2002 - 2007 Senior Physician, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Göttingen.
- June 2006 Habilitation and Venia Legendi in Gynecology and Obstetrics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Gottingen. Subject: "New approaches in the treatment of gynecological malignancies with the expression of gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptors (GnRH)".
- 2007 - 2012 Deputy Chief Physician, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Bern.
- January 2013 Professor at the University of Bern.
- 2013 - 2018 Chief Physician in the Department of Gynecology at the Cantonal Hospital Lucerne.
Professional Postgraduate Training
- November 2002 Board certification in Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- October 2005 Certification in Special Surgical Gynecology.
- October 2006 Specialization in Obstetrics and Perinatal Medicine.
- September 2007 Specialization in Gynecologic Oncology.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Swiss Medical Association (FMH).
- Swiss Association of Medical Assistants and Senior Physicians (VSAO).
- Swiss Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics (SGGG).
- German Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics (DGGG).
- German Working Group on Gynecologic Oncology (AGO), as well as the Board Member of the Swiss Working Group on Gynecologic Oncology.
- German Cancer Society (DKG).
- Swiss Society of Senology (SGS).
- Swiss Group for Clinical Cancer Research (SAKK).
- European Society of Gynaecological Oncology (ESGO).
Grants and Scholarships
- Grants from the German Cancer Aid, German Research Foundation (DFG), Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) and Central Switzerland Cancer League.
- Scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) during study.
Department of Adult and Pediatric Gynecology, Obstetrics.
Hirslanden Andreasclinic Cham Zug Cham:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical coordinator will contact you within 24 hours and answer all questions that might interest you.
you will receive a reply shortly Home