Hirslanden Clinic Aarau
Department of Cardiac Surgery (26313)
Specialized in: cardiac surgery
About the department
The Department of Cardiac Surgery at the Hirslanden Clinic Aarau offers the full range of surgical treatment of diseases of the cardiovascular system, with the exception of heart transplantation. The department's doctors have special competencies in coronary artery bypass grafting, surgical treatment of heart valve diseases and aortic surgery. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Thierry-Pierre Carrel.
The cardiac surgeons cooperate closely with cardiologists, which allows the patients to receive comprehensive treatment. In addition, the department maintains cooperation with the University Hospital Bern, which ranks among the leading Swiss medical facilities. The therapeutic offer is complemented by postoperative cardiological rehabilitation on an outpatient basis. The experienced team of top-class professionals takes care of the health of patients. They use the very latest technical resources and innovative treatment methods to guarantee the optimal result.
When performing surgical interventions, the doctors use a modified heart-lung machine and minimally invasive surgical techniques, which minimize the risk of complications.
The department’s key clinical activities include:
- Coronary artery bypass grafting
- Heart valve repair, including valve-preserving reconstructive interventions (with appropriate clinical indications, minimally invasive techniques are used)
- Surgical treatment of thoracic aortic aneurysm
- Surgical treatment of heart rhythm disturbances (heart arrhythmias)
- Surgical interventions in case of heart failure
- Other surgical options
- July 2018 Partner Physician at the Hirslanden Clinic Beau-Site.
- Since May 2014, Chief Physician in the Department of Cardiac Surgery at the Hirslanden Clinic Aarau.
- 2008 - 2011 Head of the Department of Cardiac Surgery at the University Hospitals in Basel and Bern.
- 2006 - 2008 Interim Head of the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Basel.
- 1999 Head of the Inselspital Bern.
- 1999 Internship in Baltimore, USA.
- 1996 Internship in Helsinki.
- 1994 Internship in Hanover and Paris.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 2003 Specialization in Vascular Surgery, Swiss Medical Association (FMH).
- 1999 Professorship at the University of Bern and Head of the Department of Cardiac Surgery at the Inselspital Bern.
- 1997 Professorship at the University of Bern.
- 1993 Habilitation in Special Cardiac Surgery, University of Zurich, as well as board certification in Cardiothoracic Surgery, Swiss Medical Association (FMH).
- 1991 Board certification in General Surgery, Swiss Medical Association (FMH).
- 1985 Doctorate, University of Bern.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- American Association for Thoracic Surgery (AATS).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Hirslanden AG
Department of Cardiac Surgery.
Hirslanden Clinic Aarau:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.