Hirslanden Clinic Aarau
Department of Oncology (26321)
Specialized in: oncology
About the Department of Oncology at Hirslanden Clinic Aarau
The Department of Oncology at the Hirslanden Clinic Aarau offers all the options of modern medicine for the accurate diagnostics and effective treatment of malignant diseases of various organs and anatomical structures of the body. The department is one of the leading medical facilities in Switzerland in the area of its specialization. The Chief Physician of the department is PD Dr. med. Christos Kolotas.
The department regularly holds tumor boards with the participation of oncologists and doctors from related fields, which serve for the development of individual treatment regimens for each patient. A particular importance is also attached to the follow-up monitoring of patients, as it aims to monitor treatment results and prevent cancer recurrence. The patients can be admitted both on an inpatient and outpatient basis.
The department has a well-coordinated team of oncologists, surgical oncologist, radiation therapists, psycho-oncologists and other specialists who provide patients with the comprehensive treatment, which meets current clinical protocols. In most cases, the treatment is based on the surgical removal of the tumor, which is complemented by chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy. If desired, the patients can take part in clinical trials. As a rule, this option is relevant for patients with advanced stages of cancer. The patients receive palliative care in order to relieve pain and improve the quality of life.
It is worth noting that the department's specialists have excellent equipment for radiation therapy. The progressive devices allow the doctors to focus the maximum radiation dose on the tumor, while minimizing damage to healthy neighboring tissues. The modern radiation therapy provided in the department also significantly reduces the severity of side effects. The department widely uses such types of radiation therapy as intensity-modulated radiation therapy and imaging-guided radiation therapy. They are among the most effective and innovative types of irradiation.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Breast cancer
- Cancer of the female reproductive organs (for example, ovarian cancer, endometrial cancer)
- Gastrointestinal cancer (for example, esophageal, stomach, colorectal, pancreatic cancers)
- Kidney and urinary tract cancers
- Prostate and testicular cancer
- Head and neck tumors
- Soft tissue sarcomas
- Malignant diseases of the hematopoietic and lymphatic systems
- Other cancers
The therapeutic service range of the department includes:
- Chemotherapy (on an inpatient and outpatient basis)
- Targeted therapy
- Hormone therapy
- Maintenance therapy (including blood transfusion)
- Palliative care
- Clinical trials
- Psycho-oncological care
- Nutrition counseling
- Other treatment methods
Curriculum vitae of PD Dr. med. Christos Kolotas
- Since June 2006 Work in the Department of Oncology at the Hirslanden Clinic Aarau.
- 2003 - 2006 Senior Physician, Department of Radiation Oncology at the University Hospital Bern.
- 1995 Board certification in Radiation Oncology.
- 1993 - 2002 Senior Physician, Department of Radiation Oncology, Clinic Offenbach.
- 1991 - 1992 Work at the Institute of Radiology at the University of Duesseldorf.
- 1989 - 1993 Work in the Department of Radiation Oncology at the University Hospital Duesseldorf.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 2002 Habilitation, Johann Wolfgang Goethe-University Frankfurt am Main. Subject: "Interstitial brachytherapy. Development of 3D-planning technology and the scope of its clinical application".
- 1992 Doctoral thesis defense at the University of Duesseldorf. Subject: "Radiation therapy after organ-preserving surgery for breast cancer".
- 1988 State Medical Exam.
- 1981 - 1988 Study of Medicine at the University of Tuebingen.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Hirslanden AG
Department of Oncology.
Hirslanden Clinic Aarau:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.