Hirslanden Salem-Spital Bern
Department of Adult and Pediatric Pulmonology, Thoracic Surgery, Somnology (26423)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric pulmonology, thoracic surgery, somnology
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Pulmonology, Thoracic Surgery, Somnology at Hirslanden Salem-Spital Bern
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Pulmonology, Thoracic Surgery, Somnology at the Hirslanden Salem-Spital Bern offers the high-precision diagnostics, conservative and surgical treatment of diseases of the thoracic organs. The department’s tasks also include medical care for sleep-related breathing disorders. The department deals with the treatment of patients of all age categories – from young children to the elderly. The doctors of the department have at their disposal all the necessary resources for the effective treatment adapted to the individual needs and wishes of patients. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Richard Kraemer.
The direction of thoracic surgery is represented by an experienced team of surgeons providing surgical treatment of diseases and injuries of the thorax and its organs, with the exception of the heart and aorta. The patients with oncopathology are treated with the participation of pulmonologists, oncologists, radiologists and other doctors of the related fields. If possible, surgical treatment is performed with the help of sparing minimally invasive interventions.
The department’s range of medical services includes:
- Thoracic surgery
- Classical and minimally invasive lung resection (lobectomy, segmentectomy) for lung cancer, lung metastases
- Surgical procedures for pleural mesothelioma (pleuropneumonectomy, extended decortication)
- Classical and minimally invasive surgery for mediastinal tumors (for example, thymomas)
- Thoracoscopy in case of suspected pneumothorax, unclear focal lesions in the lungs, hand and armpit hyperhidrosis, as well as in case of the diagnostics and treatment of pleural diseases, pleural effusion, emphysema
- Diagnostic interventions, such as mediastinoscopy, mediastinotomy, lymph node biopsy
- Surgical treatment of pleural empyema
- Surgical correction of funnel-shaped and keeled chest wall deformities (minimally invasive surgery and Nuss procedure)
- Surgical interventions for fractures of the ribs (stabilization of the ribs) and sternum
- Surgical interventions for thoracic malignancies, including reconstructive interventions
- Palliative interventions (for example, the installation of a PleurX catheter for the treatment of malignant pleural effusion)
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of pulmonary emphysema
- Diagnostics and treatment of interstitial lung diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of occupational lung diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of tuberculosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of pneumonia
- Diagnostics and treatment of bronchiectasis
- Diagnostics and treatment of cystic fibrosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of pulmonary embolism
- Diagnostics and treatment of pulmonary hypertension
- Drug treatment
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Pleural puncture
- Pulmonary function diagnostics
- Diagnostic and interventional bronchoscopy
- Pleural sonography
- Pleural puncture and drainage
- Long-term oxygen therapy (including the installation of a transtracheal oxygen catheter)
- Preoperative assessment before major surgery
- Non-invasive ventilation, home ventilation
- Pediatric pulmonology
- Diagnostics and treatment of obstructive bronchitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of bronchial asthma
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic lung diseases
- Snoring, obstructive sleep apnea
- Restless legs syndrome
- Irregular sleep–wake rhythm
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Richard Kraemer
- 1972 Doctoral degree, University of Bern.
- 1971 State Exam in Medicine, University of Bern.
- 2010 Consulting Physician for Pediatric Pulmonology, Lung Center, Hirslanden Hospital Zürich.
- 2009 Consulting Physician for Pediatric Pulmonology, Department of Adult and Pediatric Pulmonology, Thoracic Surgery, Somnology at the Hirslanden Salem-Spital Bern.
- 1996 - 2009 Full Professor for Pediatrics, Chief Physician of the Department of Pediatrics at the University Hospital Bern.
- 1994 Extraordinary Professor, Faculty of Medicine, University of Bern.
- 1988 Associate Professor of the Department of Pediatrics (Pediatric Pulmonology).
- 1984 Habilitation in Pediatrics (Pediatric Pulmonology).
- 1978 - 1980 SNF Research Fellow, Laboratory for Children's Physiology of Lungs, Hôpital de Bavière, University of Liege, Belgium.
- 1972 - 1978 Assistant Physician, Department of Anesthesiologists (Bern), Internal Medicine (Langnau), Pediatrics (Bern), Neurology (Bern).
- Diagnostics of children with lung diseases (obstructive bronchitis, bronchial asthma, cystic fibrosis and other chronic lung diseases).
- Pulmonary function diagnostics.
- Laboratory diagnostics.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- American Thoracic Society.
- Medical Association of the Canton of Bern.
- European Respiratory Society.
- North American Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (NACFF).
- Swiss Society of Pediatrics (SGP).
- Swiss Society of Pulmonology (SGP).
- Swiss Medical Association.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Hirslanden AG
Department of Adult and Pediatric Pulmonology, Thoracic Surgery, Somnology.
Hirslanden Salem-Spital Bern:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.