Hirslanden Salem-Spital Bern
Department of Rheumatology (603847)
Specialized in: rheumatology
About the department
The Department of Rheumatology at the Hirslanden Salem-Spital Bern offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for patients with various diseases of the joints and connective tissue. The department also specializes in the treatment of osteoporosis and other pathological bone lesions. The department is headed by Dr. med. Jon Carnes.
In most cases, X-rays or ultrasound and laboratory tests are sufficient for establishment of the diagnosis. If necessary, the doctors of related specialties are involved in the diagnostics or treatment. During the individual consultation, the attending physician will inform the patient about all possible treatment options for his pathology, talk about the advantages and disadvantages of a particular technique. The treatment is provided according to current clinical protocols.
The department's field of competence includes the diagnostics and treatment of the following rheumatic diseases:
- Inflammatory rheumatic diseases (for example, rheumatoid arthritis/polyarthritis, autoimmune diseases, systemic lupus erythematosus and others)
- Lesions of the vertebrae and facet joints caused by rheumatic pathology
- Spondylarthritis (for example, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis)
- Gout and other crystalline arthritis
- Consequences of injuries, including sports ones, provoking the development of rheumatic lesions
- Rheumatic soft tissue lesions (for example, fibromyalgia, tennis elbow)
- Acute joint and tendon lesions (for example, acute shoulder pain)
- Osteoporosis and other bone pathologies
- Rheumatic lesions of the internal organs
- Acute and chronic pain syndromes caused by rheumatic pathology
- Other diseases
The diagnostic and therapeutic service range of the department includes:
- Laboratory tests
- Radiography, including digital one
- Ultrasound scanning of the musculoskeletal system
- Drug therapy using biological medicines and other highly effective medications
- Medicinal infusion and infiltration of joints, tendons and spine
- Specialized treatment of osteoporosis
- Manual therapy
- Acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine
- Physiotherapeutic measures
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic techniques
Education and Professional Career
- 1984 State Medical Examination, University of Bern.
- Internships at various US University Hospitals for 11 months.
- Work in the Department of Internal Medicine, Zieglerspital Bern.
- Work in the Department of Internal Medicine, Bezirksspital Sumiswald.
- Work in the Department of Internal Medicine and Rehabilitation, Bürgerspital Solothurn.
- Work in the Department of General Surgery, Cantonal Hospital Fribourg.
- Work in the Department of Orthopedics, University Hospital Balgrist, Zurich.
- Work in the Department of Neurology, University Hospital Zurich.
- Work in the Department of Rheumatology, University Hospital Zurich.
- Work in the Department of Rehabilitation, Höhenklinik Wald, Zurich.
- Work in the Department of Rheumatology, Triemli Hospital, Zurich.
- Since 1996 Private Practice in Rheumatology, Bern.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Hirslanden AG
Department of Rheumatology.
Hirslanden Salem-Spital Bern:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.