Medicana International Istanbul Hospital
Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery (535167)
Mehmet Salih Bilal
Specialized in: adult and pediatric cardiosurgery
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery at Medicana International Istanbul Hospital
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery at the Medicana International Istanbul Hospital offers the full range of surgical treatment of all cardiovascular diseases, congenital and acquired heart defects. The department is equipped with unique equipment that allows for complex and comprehensive cardiac surgery procedures in adults and children. The main areas of specialization include coronary artery bypass grafting, heart valve surgery, catheter procedures, coronary angioplasty and stenting to restore coronary artery patency, implantation of pacemakers. After surgical treatment, an individual rehabilitation program will be selected for the patient. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Mehmet Salih Bilal, who is a world-renowned highly qualified heart surgeon.
One of the priority focuses of the department is the surgical treatment of coronary heart disease. The best option in this case is coronary artery bypass grafting, which allows for the restoration of the heart supply with oxygen-rich blood and relief of symptoms. Thus, it is possible to exclude acute heart failure, the risk of a heart attack in the future, as well as other heart diseases. For achieving a successful long-term result after the operation, the patient should completely change the lifestyle, take appropriate medications, eat right.
In addition, the cardiac surgeons of the department have excellent skills in heart valve surgery. If possible, sparing, minimally invasive techniques are used to avoid chest opening. Depending on the complexity of the clinical situation, a valve may be reconstructed or totally replaced. In valve replacement operations, there may be used three types of prostheses, namely biological, homograft, and mechanical ones.
A specially prepared team of pediatric cardiac surgeons takes care of the health of young patients. The specialists have extensive experience in the surgical treatment of congenital and acquired heart defects in children of all age groups, ranging from newborns to older children. These include atrial septal defects, interventricular septal defects, aortopulmonary septal defect, interrupted aortic arch, etc. In the field of pediatric cardiac surgery, the department is one of the leading international medical facilities.
The service range of the department includes:
- Holter monitoring
- Stress ECG (on a treadmill)
- Cardiac CT
- Cardiac MRI
- Heart catheterization
- Coronary angiography
- Laboratory tests
- Fetal echocardiography
- Coronary artery bypass grafting
- Conventional method (open operation with connection to the heart-lung machine)
- Beating heart surgery (without connection to the heart-lung machine)
- Minimally invasive coronary artery bypass grafting without opening the chest (performed if necessary to bypass the left anterior descending artery)
- Angioplasty and stenting
- Pacemaker implantation
- Heart valve reconstruction surgery
- Prosthetic heart valve surgery
- Percutaneous angioplasty and stenting
- Open heart surgery
- Surgical treatment of congenital and acquired heart defects in children of all age groups
- Atrial septal defect
- Ventricular septal defect
- Aortopulmonary septal defect
- Interrupted aortic arch
- And other diseases of the heart and blood vessels in childhood
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Mehmet Salih Bilal
- 1978 - 1984 Cerrahpaşa School of Medicine, Istanbul University.
- 1986 - 1992 Postgraduate Education, Residency, Cardiac Surgery, Cardiology Institute, School of Medicine, Istanbul University.
- 1984 - 1986 Physician, Emergency Department, Bitlis.
- 1992 -1993 Physician, Department of Cardiac Surgery, GATA Haydarpaşa Military Hospital.
- 1993 - 1995 Assistant Professor, Cardiac Surgery, School of Medicine, Istanbul University.
- 1994 - 1995 Department of Cardiac Surgery, Onze Lieve Vrouwe Ziekenhuis Hospital, Aalst, Belgium.
- 1995 - 2000 Associate Professor in Cardiac Surgery.
- 01.03.1996 - 01.05.1996 Physician at the Department of Cardiac Surgery, Alabama University.
- 05.09.1996 Columbia University, Presbyterian Hospital, New York.
- 1998 Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Great Harmond Street Hospital, London.
- 2000 Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Marie Lannelongue Hospital, Paris, France.
- 2001 Beating Heart Bypass Surgery, Saint Antonius Hospital, Holland.
- 2000 - 2002 Chief Physician of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, 29 Mayıs Hospital, Istanbul.
- 2002 - 2008 Chief Physician of Neonatal and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Chief Physician of Cardiac Transplantation, Siyami Ersek Education and Research Hospital.
- Since 2000 up to now, Professor of Cardiac Surgery, Yeditepe University.
- 2007 Department of Cardiac Surgery, Giessen University, Germany.
- Since 2008, Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Medicana International Istanbul Hospital.
- 2009 Ministry of Healthcare of the Turkish Republic, Charity Health Mission in Yemen Arab Republic, Pediatric Cardiac Surgery.
- 2009 Training on minimally invasive mitral valve repair, Massa, Italy.
Areas of Specialization
- Complex neonatal and infant cardiac surgery.
- Ross procedure and LVOT surgery.
- David procedure.
- Aortic surgery.
- Heart valve repair.
- Minimally invasive heart surgery.
- Arterial revascularization in coronary surgery.
- Turkish Association of Cardiac Surgery.
- Turkish Association of Cardiology.
- Turkish Association of Pediatric Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery.
- National Association of Vascular Surgery.
- European Association of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Medicana Health Group
Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery.
Medicana International Istanbul Hospital:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.