Memorial Ankara Hospital
Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology (609495)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric ophthalmology
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at Memorial Ankara Hospital
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the Memorial Ankara Hospital offers the high-precision diagnostics and treatment of the full range of eye diseases – from inflammatory processes to severe types of refractive errors and malignancies. The department's specialists develop an individual treatment regimen for each patient, while the preference is given to the most effective and sparing treatment methods, which allow the patient to get rid of the painful symptoms as quickly as possible and restore good vision. Depending on the nature of the pathology and its stage, the therapeutic offer includes drug therapy, laser correction, microsurgical interventions or other procedures. The highest professionalism of the department's medical team guarantees successful results even in particularly complex clinical cases. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Koray Gümüş.
The excellent technical equipment is one of the keys to achieving optimal treatment results. The department's ophthalmologists perform such examinations as tonometry, autorefractometry, biomicroscopy, optical coherence tomography, slit lamp exam, visual field testing and many others. These tests allow the doctor to establish an accurate diagnosis even at the initial stages of pathological changes in the eye, during which the symptoms are absent or mild.
If possible, the doctors provide the conservative treatment, laser correction of visual impairments. For example, in the case of glaucoma, it may be medications for normalizing intraocular pressure, in the case of retinal degeneration – angiogenesis inhibitors, etc. To correct strabismus, amblyopia, and refractive errors, the doctors use special lenses, select glasses, and prescribe computer exercises. In the advanced types of eye diseases, the conservative methods can often be ineffective, so the doctors resort to surgical interventions. Thanks to the availability of the cutting-edge instruments for sparing minimally invasive interventions, the patient can recover from the operation as soon as possible, and the operational risks are practically reduced to zero.
The department's service range is not limited to the medical care for adult patients – children, including the youngest ones, can also be diagnosed and treated here. The babies undergo vision screening at the age of 1-2 months, then at the age of 1 year and up to 3 years. The most common pathologies in children are retinopathy of prematurity, congenital cataract, glaucoma, and strabismus.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of cataract
- Diagnostics and treatment of glaucoma
- Diagnostics and treatment of refractive errors (myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism)
- Diagnostics and treatment of keratoconus
- Diagnostics and treatment of retinal detachment
- Diagnostics and treatment of macular degeneration
- Diagnostics and treatment of uveitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of diabetic retinopathy
- Diagnostics and treatment of eyelid diseases (for example, ptosis, ectropion and entropion, eyelid tumors, etc.)
- Diagnostics and treatment of pathologies of the lacrimal passages
- Diagnostics and treatment of traumatic injuries of the eye and its appendages
- Diagnostics and treatment of pediatric ophthalmic diseases (retinopathy of prematurity, congenital cataract and glaucoma, strabismus)
- Diagnostics and treatment of other ophthalmic diseases in adults and children
The department specializes in the following treatments:
- Refractive eye surgery (PRK, LASIK, LASEK, FLEX, SMILE)
- Eye microsurgery
- Eye sclerotherapy
- Intraocular injection
- Eyelid, lacrimal tract and orbital surgery
- Intraocular lens implantation
- Cancer surgery of the eye and its appendages
- Other treatment methods
Photo of the doctor: (c) Memorial Ankara Hospital
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Koray Gümüş
- Since 2019 Chief Physician of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the Memorial Ankara Hospital, Ankara, Turkey.
- 2005 - 2019 Work as Ophthalmologist, hospital at the Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 2015 - 2016 Postdoctoral studies, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA.
- 2009 - 2010 Postdoctoral studies, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA.
- 2000 - 2004 Professional training in Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey.
- 1994 - 2000 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey.
Awards and Honors
- 2015 Research Award, Gazi Eye Foundation, Turkish Ophthalmological Association (TOD), Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2012 Poster Award, European VitreoRetinal Society, Nice, France.
- 2010 Award of the Tear Film and Ocular Surface Society (TFOS).
- 2004 38th TOD National Congress of Ophthalmology, 3rd place in the category "Award for Best Research".
- 2000 Prof. Ihsan Dogramaci Award for Outstanding Achievements.
- 1999 "Student of the Year" Award.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO).
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO).
- International Ocular Surface Society (IOSS).
- European Society of Cornea & Ocular Surface Disease Specialists (EuCornea).
- Turkish Ophthalmological Association.
- Turkish Republics Ophthalmology Association (TCOD).
- Turkish Medical Association.
- Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine Alumni Association.
Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology.
Memorial Ankara Hospital:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.