Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Metabolic Disorders (641488)
Specialized in: endocrinology, diabetology, metabolic disorders
About the Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Metabolic Disorders at Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul
The Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Metabolic Disorders at the Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul offers the full range of services in this medical field. The department's specialists provide both diagnostics and treatment of endocrine disorders. Thanks to modern equipment and vast clinical experience of the medical staff, the department successfully provides care to patients with endocrine tumors. Of particular interest is the treatment of diabetes mellitus, obesity, arterial hypertension, osteoporosis and hypercholesterolemia. All procedures are performed in accordance with current international protocols, while the treatment regimens are developed individually for each patient. The department strictly observes the highest standards of sterility, and all medical personnel regularly attend advanced training courses. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Erol Bolu.
The department diagnoses and treats patients suffering from diabetes mellitus. This pathology is one of the most common diseases in the world. As a rule, the main reasons for the development of diabetes mellitus are overweight and impaired functioning of the pancreas. This causes decreased insulin production, which leads to a violation of carbohydrate metabolism and high blood sugar levels. There are several types of diabetes mellitus. Type 1 diabetes mellitus is more common in young people. As a rule, it develops after viral infections, due to autoimmune disorders, hereditary predisposition. Type 2 diabetes mellitus is the most common type of this pathology. It mainly develops in people over the age of 40. People with obesity and sedentary lifestyle are at risk. There is also gestational diabetes mellitus, which develops in pregnant women.
The disease can cause various complications, such as sensorimotor polyneuropathy, angiopathy of the retinal and kidney vessels, as well as diabetic foot syndrome. During the treatment, the department's doctors give recommendations on nutrition, prescribe antihyperglycemic drugs, insulin therapy, and teach the patient to independently measure blood sugar levels. Weight loss and increased physical activity are also very important. Thanks to the care of qualified specialists and observance of the recommendations, the patient will be able to lead an active life for many years.
The department also provides treatment of malignant and benign thyroid tumors, as well as neuroendocrine neoplasms. It uses all modern methods of thyroid cancer diagnostics and treatment. The doctors carry out ultrasound examinations, biopsies, as well as computed tomography and PET-CT scans. An individual treatment plan is developed at the tumor boards. If necessary, specialists from related medical fields are involved in the proces. The main treatment methods for thyroid cancer include radioactive iodine therapy and surgery, which suggests a total or partial removal of the gland with adjacent lymph nodes. The removal of the malignant tumor will be followed by a life-long therapy with thyroid hormones. It is aimed at suppressing the activity of the remaining pathological cells and replenishing the postoperative deficiency of thyroid hormones. The department also provides preventive measures aimed at preventing cancer in the case of genetic and hereditary predisposition. If the cancer is detected at an advanced stage, the doctors prescribe therapy for elimination of symptoms and improvement of the patient's quality of life.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of pituitary diseases
- Hypopituitarism (pituitary insufficiency)
- Hyperprolactinemia due to the pituitary microadenoma
- Secondary hypercortisolism due to excessive ACTH synthesis
- Excessive growth hormone
- Growth hormone deficiency
- Diabetes insipidus
- Diagnostics and treatment of thyroid diseases
- Diffuse goiter
- Thyroid nodules
- Thyroid cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of parathyroid diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of adrenal diseases
- Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency)
- Diagnostics and treatment of sex hormone disorders in women
- Deficiency of sex hormones (hypogonadism)
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Hirsutism (excessive hair growth)
- Diagnostics and treatment of sex hormone disorders in men
- Testosterone deficiency (hypogonadism)
- Erectile dysfunction and impotence
- Poor beard and mustache growth
- Diagnostics and treatment of various types of metabolic disorders
- Diabetes mellītus
- Insulin resistance syndrome
- Overweight and obesity
- Vitamin and mineral deficiencies
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuroendocrine tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of gestational diabetes mellitus and thyroid diseases in pregnant women
- Diagnostics and treatment of other endocrine disorders
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Erol Bolu
- Since 2013 Head of the Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Metabolic Disorders at the Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2002 - 2013 Specialist in Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders in Private Clinic, Ankara, Turkey.
- 1999 - 2013 Employee of the Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Faculty of Medicine, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey.
- 1996 - 1999 Specialist in Internal Medicine, Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders, Mevki Military Hospital, Ankara, Turkey.
- 1995 - 1996 Doctor in the Department of Endocrinology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, USA.
- 1994 - 1995 Specialist in Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders, Faculty of Medicine, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 1992 - 1994 Specialized training in Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders, Faculty of Medicine, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey.
- 1987 - 1992 Specialized training in Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey.
- 1978 - 1984 Study of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Gulhane Military Medical Academy and Faculty of Medicine at the Istanbul University, Turkey.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Society of Endocrinology and Metabolism of Turkey.
- Turkish Diabetes Association.
- Turkish Diabetes Foundation.
- European Society of Endocrinology (ESE).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Memorial Ataşehir Hospital
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Metabolic Disorders.
Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.