Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul
Department of Adult and Pediatric Rehabilitation, Physiotherapy (661639)
Mehmet Ali Taskaynatan
Specialized in: adult and pediatric rehabilitation, physiotherapy
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Rehabilitation, Physiotherapy at Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Rehabilitation, Physiotherapy at the Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul offers the full range of rehabilitation measures and physiotherapy procedures for the restoration of lost fine and gross motor skills, cognitive and speech functions due to various diseases and injuries. The interdisciplinary team of the department's doctors admits patients after orthopedic, neurological, heart diseases and limb amputation. The competence of the department's doctors also includes rehabilitation treatment for patients suffering from rheumatic pathologies. The department is focused on the treatment of patients of various age groups – from children to elderly patients. All the rehabilitation programs offered in the department are based on physiotherapy. The department has excellent infrastructure – modern treatment rooms, pools and therapeutic baths for hydrotherapy, rooms with innovative equipment for training fine motor skills of hands, walking, balance, etc. All these resources combined with the high professionalism of doctors guarantee patients the best possible restoration of their ability to self-care and improvement of their quality of life. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Mehmet Ali Taskaynatan.
Prior to any rehabilitation measures, the patient undergoes comprehensive diagnostics for the assessment of his general health and the severity of movement disorders, as well as cognitive and speech disorders in the case of previous neurological diseases. Based on the diagnostic results, the department's specialists determine the key goals of rehabilitation and select the required complex of rehabilitation treatments for each patient individually. Each rehabilitation program is unique and combines only the most effective techniques. The primary task of the department's rehabilitation therapist is to relieve pain caused by pathological changes in the body, and therefore the specialists do not resort to intensive loads at the initial stage of rehabilitation. After overcoming severe pain, the active phase of rehabilitation begins. It aims to eliminate movement limitations and achieve the best possible independence in everyday life. All therapeutic procedures are carried out under the strict monitoring of highly specialized doctors, who in every way motivate and support the patient on his way to recovery.
Rehabilitation involves an active use of modern robotic devices. For example, the Lokomat robotic training system for the restoration of walking skills lost due to disease or injury that is used in combination with a treadmill. Before training on this device, the patient is fixed with the help of special restraining belts and placed on the treadmill. The patient's legs are attached to the orthoses with special fasteners. The orthoses are connected to a computer, which reads all load indicators. Prior to the training, the doctor sets up the required mode and intensity of exercise for the patient, which can further be changed, if necessary. The Lokomat system provides a physiological repetitive walking pattern, which is very important at the initial stages of rehabilitation. The device allows for high-intensity workouts and quick success (as a rule, the patient needs about 10 sessions). To restore fine and gross hand motor skills, the department's rehabilitation therapists successfully use the modern Armeo Spring exercise device. The effective action of Armeo Spring is provided by an ergonomic arm exoskeleton with built-in springs, which, covering the entire arm from shoulder to hand, compensates for part of the patient's arm weight, enhancing residual function and neuromuscular control, maintaining active movement in 3D space. During the training on this device, the patient performs the widest range of motion – flexion and extension of the hand, elbow, as well as arm spreading, shoulder rotation, etc. The proper use of the Armeo Spring exercise device can significantly improve the mobility of the hand and arm after 5-6 sessions.
The department's specialists encourage the involvement of relatives and friends of patients in the rehabilitation process. During the rehabilitation of children, one of the parents is allowed to stay in the department with the child. The highly qualified psychologists work with both adults and young patients, they help them accept their diagnosis and gain motivation to overcome all difficulties on the way to restoration of lost skills. The department's rehabilitation therapists and nursing staff make every effort to create a friendly and pleasant atmosphere in the department, in which each patient will feel as comfortable as possible. The availability of modern infrastructure, effective rehabilitation methods and long clinical experience of the department's doctors contribute to the achievement of highly efficient treatment and reintegration of patients into their everyday life.
The therapeutic options of the department include:
- Inhalation therapy
- Thermal procedures
- Ultrasound therapy
- Therapeutic exercise
- Lymphatic drainage
- Classical massage
- Therapeutic massage
- Laser therapy
- Mud wraps
- Training on professional equipment to restore gait and walking
- Training on professional equipment to restore arm and hand movement
- Training on professional equipment to restore balance and coordination
- Speech therapy to restore speech and swallowing disorders (for example, after a stroke)
- Psychological care
- Other rehabilitation methods
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Mehmet Ali Taskaynatan
- Since 2018 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Rehabilitation, Physiotherapy at the Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2002 - 2018 Lecturer at the Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey.
- 2000 - 2002 Specialist in Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy, Military Hospital in Erzurum, Turkey.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 2013 Professorship, Ankara, Turkey.
- 2006 Assistant Professorship, Ankara, Turkey.
- 2006 - 2007 Fellowship for the interventional treatment of back pain, University of Utah, Utah, USA.
- 1997 - 2000 Specialized training in Rehabilitation Medicine and Physiotherapy, Haydarpasa Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey.
- 1988 - 1994 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey.
Scientific Publications and Reports
- 56 articles in international scientific journals.
- 26 articles in Turkish scientific journals.
- 24 reports at the international conferences and congresses.
- 88 reports at the international conferences and congresses.
- Authorship of numerous book chapters.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Turkish Medical Association.
- European Association of Physiotherapists and Rehabilitation Therapists.
- Turkish Association of Physiotherapists and Rehabilitation Therapists.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Memorial Ataşehir Hospital
Department of Adult and Pediatric Rehabilitation, Physiotherapy.
Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.