Samitivej Hospital Bangkok
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology (302958)
Specialized in: gastroenterology, hepatology
About the department
The Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at the Samitivej Hospital Bangkok offers all the modern options for the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and liver. The department has advanced endoscopic equipment and annually performs about 4,000 endoscopic procedures. The department's field of competence also includes liver transplantation, which is performed here with outstanding results. The Chief Physician of the department is Dr. med. Surasak Aekpongpaisit.
The department's medical team consists of 10 specialized doctors and 12 nurses. All of them work for the benefit of patients and make every effort to meet their needs and wishes. To provide medical services, the department has 12 examination rooms, 5 endoscopy rooms and 10 monitoring rooms.
The department uses state-of-the-art medical technology and innovation. In particular, the very latest narrow-band imaing technique is widely practiced here. This technology uses special green and blue wavelengths for the enhancement of imaging during gastrointestinal endoscopy.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Hepatitis A, B, C, E
- Chronic and cholestatic liver diseases
- Genetic liver diseases
- Infectious liver lesions (for example, abscess)
- Primary and secondary liver cancer
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Gastric and duodenal ulcers
- Chronic inflammatory bowel disease (for example, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis)
- Acute and chronic diarrhea or constipation
- Bleeding in the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract
- Hemorrhoids and anorectal lesions
- Functional gastrointestinal disorders (for example, irritable bowel syndrome, functional abdominal pain syndrome)
- Gastrointestinal motility disorders (for example, cardiac achalasia)
- Chronic and acute pancreatitis
- Gallstones and choledocholithiasis (gallstone disease)
- All types of cancer of the stomach, colon/small intestine, esophagus, pancreas and gallbladder
- Other pathologies
The diagnostic and therapeutic options of the department include:
- Endoscopic procedures
- Endoscopic ultrasonography
- Endoscopic mucosal and submucosal resection
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography
- Gastrointestinal manometry
- Anorectal manometry
- Biofeedback therapy based on anorectal manometry
- Gastrointestinal capsule endoscopy
- Liver biopsy
- Treatment methods for diseases of the liver and digestive organs using minimally invasive techniques (without a surgical intervention)
- Percutaneous ethanol injections (for cancer treatment)
- Transcatheter oily chemoembolization (a type of chemotherapy, in which chemotherapy drugs are injected directly into the tumors through the hepatic artery)
- Transarterial embolization (for the prevention of acute haemorrhage in the liver and other areas of the digestive system)
- Radiofrequency ablation (for liver cancer)
- Other diagnostic and treatment methods
- 1994 Doctorate, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University.
- 2001 Diploma of the Thai Board of Internal Medicine, Medical Council of Thailand.
- 2003 Diploma of the Thai Board of Gastroenterology.
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Hepatobiliary diseases.
- Colorectal diseases.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Samitivej Hospital Bangkok
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
Samitivej Hospital Bangkok:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.