Academic Childrens Hospital Nuremberg
Department of Pediatric Surgery and Pediatric Urology (420068)
Specialized in: pediatric surgery, pediatric urology
About the Department of Pediatric Surgery and Pediatric Urology at Academic Childrens Hospital Nuremberg
The Department of Pediatric Surgery and Pediatric Urology at the Academic Children’s Hospital Nuremberg offers the full range of services in these medical fields. It performs various surgical procedures to treat oncological, gastroenterological, neurological and other diseases. Many operations are performed using sparing minimally invasive techniques, which allow for the minimal traumatization of a young patient and his speedy recovery. An important focus is neonatal surgery, namely corrective surgery to eliminate congenital malformations. In the field of urology, there are conducted various diagnostic examinations and treatment of diseases of the genitourinary system in boys. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Maximilian Stehr.
The department has 42 beds for hospitalization of young patients (one of the parents may be accommodated in the patient room with a child). The treatment is provided on both an inpatient and outpatient basis. Due attention is paid to the comprehensive counselling of patients and their parents, which helps to establish trustful relationships and jointly decide on the best treatment option.
The department has excellent diagnostic and surgical equipment, thanks to which the department’s surgeons provide the most accurate and effective surgical treatment of pediatric pathologies. Naturally, of crucial importance in the successful treatment outcome is the high professionalism and outstanding skills of the surgeons, who find the best treatment options even in the case of particularly complex clinical situations.
In the field of urology, the department's specialists conduct the full range of functional diagnostics, including renal function testing, examination to detect impaired bladder emptying and enuresis. In case of necessity for the surgical correction of the urogenital system, the treatment is mainly endoscopic, that is through the urethra, as well as in the treatment of the kidneys, ureters. During surgery, special attention is given to the age-specific features of children, therefore the surgeons select the surgical equipment of the appropriate size.
The service range of the department includes:
- Neonatal surgery
- Minimally invasive pediatric surgery
- Sclerotherapy in varicocele
- Removal of the cecum (laparoscopic appendectomy)
- Treatment of Hirschsprung's disease
- Cardia plastic repair
- Treatment of true cryptorchidism
- Correction of the funnel-shaped chest (15 years of experience)
- Other minimally invasive interventions
- Surgical interventions on the digestive tract (gastroenterology)
- Esophageal stricture
- Hirschsprung's disease
- Anal atresia
- Bowel obstruction
- Other diseases
- Surgical removal of tumors
- Installation of a Hickman catheter for chemotherapy
- Pediatric traumatology
- Surgical and conservative treatment of all types of fractures
- Medical assistance in case of accidents
- Care for children with bone diseases
- Other services
- Interventions to treat diseases of the central nervous system (for example, treatment of hydrocephalus)
- Treatment of hematologic diseases
- Laser treatments
- Other services
- Pediatric urology
- Kidney, bladder function testing, x-ray studies, etc.
- Surgical treatment, for example, plastic repair of the renal pelvis, correction of hypospadias
- Cystoscopy with subureteral injection
- Treatment of voiding disorders
- Treatment of enuresis
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Maximilian Stehr
- Studied Medicine at the Friedrich-Alexander University of Erlangen.
- 1992 PhD, Department of Pediatric Cardiology.
- 2000 Medical Specialist in Pediatric Surgery.
- Since 2003, Senior Physician at the Dr. von Hauner Children's Hospital.
- 2003 Head of the Manometry Laboratory of the Department of Pediatric Surgery.
- 2005 Habilitation.
- 2006 Appointed as a Professor of the Department of Pediatric Surgery at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- Since 2006, Work at the Paediatric Surgery Research Laboratories at the Dr. von Hauner Children's Hospital.
- Since 2009, First Chairman of the Association of Pediatric Urology of the German Society of Pediatric Surgery.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinik Hallerwiese-Cnopfsche Kinderklinik
Department of Pediatric Surgery and Pediatric Urology.
Academic Childrens Hospital Nuremberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.