Academic Hospital Asklepios Barmbek Hamburg
Department of General, Abdominal Surgery and Surgical Oncology (356100)
Karl Jürgen Oldhafer
Specialized in: general, abdominal surgery, surgical oncology
About the department
The Department of General, Abdominal Surgery and Surgical Oncology at the Academic Hospital Asklepios Barmbek offers the full range of services in these medical focuses. The department provides high-quality surgical treatment of all abdominal diseases. The surgeons of the department have a huge experience in performing open and laparoscopic interventions. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. Karl Jürgen Oldhafer.
Much attention is paid to the diagnostics and treatment of all types of abdominal cancer: stomach, esophageal, pancreatic, liver, small and large intestine, bladder cancer, etc. To ensure optimal results during the treatment, experienced gastroenterologists, oncologists, radiologists and other specialists are involved. Each patient receives a tailored treatment plan with due consideration of his/her specific clinical picture, general health status, possible risks, age, weight and other factors.
The range of medical services of the department includes:
- Diseases of the esophagus and stomach
- Pancreatic diseases
- Biliary diseases
- Diseases of the small and large intestine (e.g., Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, diverticulum)
- Gallbladder diseases (e.g., gallstones, gallbladder tumors)
- Hernias: inguinal, umbilical and incisional
- Diseases of the rectum (e.g., hemorrhoids, anal fissures, anal fistula, incontinence)
- Liver diseases (cirrhosis, hepatitis B and C, liver cysts, liver adenoma)
- And other diseases
- 1978 - 1984 Education at the University of Göttingen, the University of Illinois, USA.
- 1984 State examination (III), University of Göttingen.
- 1985 Defense of doctoral thesis at the University of Göttingen.
- 1984 Approbation.
- 1984 - 1985 Experimental pathology (Head: Prof., Dr. U. Mohr), Hannover Medical School.
- 1985 - 1986 Laboratory for Transplantation Immunology (Director: Prof., Dr. K. Wonigeit), Hannover Medical School.
- 1986 - 1992 Internship, Department of Surgery (Prof. Dr. Pichlmayr, Prof. Dr. Borst, Prof. Dr. Tscherne), Hannover Medical School.
- 1992 Appointment as a Surgeon.
- 1993 Appointment of a Doctor of Emergency Medical Care.
- 1993 Venia Legendi, Hannover Medical School, Surgery, subject: "Ischemic and reperfusion lesions after liver transplantation."
- 1993 - 1998 Senior Physician of the Department of Abdominal and Transplant Surgery (Head: Prof. Dr. R. Pichlmayr), Hannover Medical School.
- Head of the Transplantation Program, Hannover Medical School.
- 1998 Advanced training, Abdominal Surgery.
- 1998 Visiting Professor.
- 1998 - 2002 Senior Physician of the Department of General, Abdominal and Transplant Surgery (Head: Prof., Dr. Broelsch).
- Head of the Department of Surgical Oncology, University Hospital Essen.
- Since March 2002 Head of the Department of General and Abdominal Surgery, Krankenhaus Celle Hospital, academic teaching hospital of the Hannover Medical School.
- Since February 2007 Head of the Department of General Surgery, St. Joseph-Stift Celle.
- Since July 2007 Chief Physician of the Krankenhaus Celle Hospital.
- Head of the Department of general, Abdominal and Surgical Oncology, Asklepios Barmbek Hospital.
Awards and Prizes
- 1995 Prize for the best study on transplantation. "Auxiliary orthotopic liver transplantation. A new therapeutic option for acute liver failure", European Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association, Athen.
- 1997 Award for the Best report (together with L. Moreno) "Hyperthermic isolated liver perfusion (HILP) with tumor necrosis factor", an experimental study, European Congress of the International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association.
- 1999 Award (together with T. Schindewolf and others), "Preoperative virtual planning of liver surgery using three dimensional liver models." Tumor biology, diagnostics, therapy. Congress on Surgery of Liver Tumors, Munich, Grosshadern Hospital.
- Award (together with D. Selle and others), "Image processing system for preoperative liver surgery", German Society of Radiology, Wiesbaden.
- 2004 Award (together with C. Franke, H. Barenthin): "Twofold rupture of the liver and spleen after minor trauma in the treatment with Marcumar 174". Conference of the Association of Surgeons of North-West Germany.
Department of General, Abdominal Surgery and Surgical Oncology.
Academic Hospital Asklepios Barmbek Hamburg:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical coordinator will contact you within 24 hours and answer all questions that might interest you.
you will receive a reply shortly Home