Academic Hospital Asklepios Barmbek Hamburg
Department of Pulmonology (356108)
Specialized in: pulmonology
About the department
The Department of Pulmonology at the Academic Hospital Asklepios Barmbek offers the full range of services in this focus. It diagnoses and treats diseases of any complexity, ranging from airway narrowing due to asthma or COPD and ending up with pneumonia, lung and pleural tumors, pulmonary fibrosis, respiratory disturbances in sleep. Combining the most advanced diagnostic and therapeutic methods, the department provides the best medical care, as well as sympathy and understanding towards patients. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Heinrich Becker.
The department has the specialized Weaning Center. Each patient receives a tailored therapy plan. The medical team is proud of the outstanding results: complete weaning in approximately 60% of patients and only 15% of patients need respiratory support at home after hospitalization.
The department offers a variety of therapeutic options for the treatment of all forms of respiratory failure. The decisive role is played by the treatment of the cause of the pathological condition, for example, pneumonia, pleural effusion or asthma, the elimination of which contributes to the rapid restoration of normal breathing. During the first few critical days, the patient breathes through the mask, and then, depending on the symptoms, he/she is prescribed effective medications. In more severe cases, long-term oxygen therapy is usually required.
The department’s medical team also specializes in the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). This disease can not be cured completely, so the initial goal of therapy is to slow or delay the progression of the disease, and thus to alleviate symptoms and improve the quality of life of the patient. To this end, the patient undergoes drug therapy. Besides, the patient should completely reconsider their way of life: give up smoking, adhere to proper nutrition, perform regular physiotherapeutic breathing exercises, etc.
Much attention is paid to the treatment of tumors of the bronchi and lungs. In cooperation with the Department of Thoracic Surgery, there are offered many surgical procedures, which are often combined with chemotherapy and radiotherapy (before and after surgery). In tumor metastasis, the chances of recovery are reduced, so the goal of treatment is to prevent rapid progression of the disease and improve the quality of life of patients. In this case, therapy helps alleviate pain and other symptoms, for example, general weakness, shortness of breath or loss of appetite. An integral part of therapy is psycho-oncological counseling, which helps patients cope with emotional experiences.
The range of medical services of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of respiratory failure (acute and chronic)
- Diagnostics and treatment of sleep-related respiratory disorders (e.g., obstructive sleep apnea)
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Diagnostics and treatment of pneumonia
- Diagnostics and treatment of pulmonary fibrosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of bronchial and lung tumors
- Respiratory therapy
- Speech therapy
- And many other diagnostic and therapeutic services
- Study of medicine at the University of Marburg.
- 1984 Approbation.
- 1994 - 1995 Research internship at the University of Sydney, Australia.
- Medical Specialist in the field of Internal Medicine, additional qualification: pulmonology, intensive therapy (internal diseases) and sleep medicine.
- 1997 Assistant Professorship and Venia Legendi, Medical Faculty of the University of Marburg.
- 2003 Visiting Professor at the University of Marburg.
- Since 2006 Chief Physician of the Department of Pulmonology at the Academic Teaching Hospital Asklepios Barmbek.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Asklepios Klinik Barmbek
Department of Pulmonology.
Academic Hospital Asklepios Barmbek Hamburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.