Academic Hospital Asklepios Barmbek Hamburg
Department of Thoracic Surgery (356109)
Specialized in: thoracic surgery
About the department
The Department of Thoracic Surgery at the Academic Hospital Asklepios Barmbek offers the full range of services in this medical field. An experienced team of highly qualified specialists performs surgical treatment of all forms of lung and thoracic diseases, with the exception of heart diseases. A large number of operations are minimally invasive, which contributes to the shortest possible period of hospitalization and early recovery of patients. The department is headed by Dr. med. Klaus Diemel und Dr. med. Jörn Halberstadt, who are world-renowned thoracic surgeons with a long experience.
Of particular interest for the department is the surgical treatment of lung cancer. Specialists of the department have unique knowledge in the treatment of any form of this disease: slow growing tumors, very fast growing tumors and fast metastasizing cancer, which in the absence of treatment can lead to death within a few months. The treatment plan is developed individually, taking into account a specific clinical picture. Any surgical intervention is necessarily preceded by a comprehensive diagnostics of the lungs and heart. In most cases, the operation is combined with chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy, which can be performed both before and after the intervention.
Quite often, operations can be performed using video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS). This is a minimally invasive surgical intervention: during the operation, surgeon makes one or two small incisions, through which he removes the affected tissue using special optical instruments. Such an operation will be effective only in the early stages of lung cancer.
It should be noted that the department has more than 20 years of experience in the field of minimally invasive thoracic surgery and, with appropriate indications, gives preference to this method, which is more sparing compared to open surgery. Nevertheless, for the treatment of metastases in the lungs, surgeons perform open operations, in which even minimal, hardly noticeable pathological changes can be eliminated. There are two methods to remove metastases in the lungs: classical surgical intervention (part of the lung, affected by metastases, is removed with a scalpel) and laser surgery (part of the lung, affected by metastases, is removed by a special surgical laser, which helps to save more healthy tissues).
In addition, the department performs a variety of interventions for the treatment of pleural mesothelioma, pneumothorax, pleural empyema, mediastinal diseases, surgery to remove chest deformities (funnel chest), surgical treatment of rib fractures, etc.
The main treatment focuses of the department include:
- Open surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Corrective surgery (keeled and funnel chest)
- Surgery for injuries (e.g., surgical treatment of rib fractures)
- Surgical treatment of lung and thoracic cancers
- Surgical treatment of lung metastases
- Respiratory therapy
- Chief Physician of the Department of Thoracic Surgery at the Academic Teaching Hospital Barmbek, Hamburg.
- Leading Senior Physician and Deputy Chief Physician of the Department of Thoracic Surgery, Grosshansdorf Clinic.
- Head of the Section of Thoracic Surgery in the Department of General, Abdominal, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, Marienkrankenhaus Clinic, Hamburg (Chief Physician: Prof. Dr. med. Christian Müller).
Membership in Professional Societies
- German Society of Surgery (DGCH).
- German Society of Thoracic Surgery (DGT).
- European Society of Thoracic Surgeons (ESTS).
- German Interdisciplinary Association for Intensive Care Medicine (DIVI).
- Working Group on Intensive Care Medicine and Emergency Medical Care (CAIN) of the German Society of Surgery.
- Working Group on Perioperative Medicine (CAPM) of the German Society of Surgery.
- German Cancer Society (DKG).
- Working Group on Thoracic Surgical Oncology of the German Cancer Society.
- Association of Surgeons of Northwest Germany.
- Working Group on Lung Cancer in Northern Germany (NBA), Chairman of the Presidium.
- North German Society for the Treatment of Pneumonia (NdGP).
- Hamburg Association for Intensive Care.
- Lungennetz Nord (network of Centers of Competence in Lung Diseases).
Department of Thoracic Surgery.
Academic Hospital Asklepios Barmbek Hamburg:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home