Academic Hospital Asklepios Barmbek Hamburg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology (356110)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric ophthalmology
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the Academic Hospital Asklepios Barmbek offers the full range of conservative and surgical services in this focus. As one of the largest ophthalmologic clinics in northern Germany, the department specializes in the treatment of eye diseases, eyelids, orbits, and vision correction. The department provides modern diagnostics and uses the very latest surgical methods, which ensures optimal results of treatment. The department is headed by PD Dr. med. Ulrich Schaudig.
The department offers high-quality surgical cataract treatment. In most cases, the operation is performed on an outpatient basis. The cloudy lens of the eye is replaced by an artificial lens. Thanks to modern intervention, it rarely leads to any complications. Just a few hours after the procedure, almost 95% of patients can see better.
Also, much attention is paid to the treatment of glaucoma. The most common form of this disease is chronic glaucoma. It develops quite slowly, and people with this pathology notice it only in the advanced stages, when damage to the eyes cannot be treated. However, if the condition is detected, it is possible to prevent its progression, and consequently loss of vision. To do this, first of all, special eye drops are used. Naturally, the treatment begins with a comprehensive diagnostics. The department offers many diagnostic procedures, for example, perimetry, tonometry, Heidelberg retinal tomography (HRT), pachymetry, etc. In most cases, patients with glaucoma require surgical treatment. The department performs such interventions as cyclophobic coagulation, ab interno trabeculectomy, selective laser trabeculoplasty, YAG iridotomy and many others.
In addition, the department offers treatment for various forms of corneal disease. The therapeutic options range from conservative therapy to surgical treatment, including corneal transplantation.
A separate focus is the diagnostics and treatment of eyelid diseases. The most common clinical pictures in this area are blepharitis, dry eye syndrome, sty, dermatochalasis, ectropion and entropion (acquired eyelid deformities), ptosis (in children and adults), endocrine orbitopathy, eyelid tumors and Bell's palsy.
In the field of pediatric ophthalmology, there is also offered the entire spectrum of diagnostic and therapeutic services for children with eye diseases. Much attention in the department is given to the treatment of retinopathy of prematurity. Timely diagnosis plays an important role here. In most cases, the child does not require therapy, but it is strongly recommended that the child to be regularly examined by the ophthalmologist. If progression of the disease is detected, doctor prescribes laser treatment, which is usually successful and returns healthy vision to the baby.
The range of services of the department includes both diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Diseases of the cornea, incl. corneal transplantation
- Diseases of the orbit
- Diseases of the eyelids
- Ophthalmic diseases in children (eg, ptosis, retinopathy of prematurity)
- And many other eye diseases
- PD Dr. med. Ulrich Schaudig studied medicine at the Universities of Regensburg and Munich and spent part of his final year at the Medical Schools of the University of Colorado at Denver and the University of Illinois at Chicago.
- He started his postgraduate training in general and plastic surgery in Munich before he turned his interest to ophthalmology and entered the residency program at the University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf.
- After his board certification in 1997, he continued to work as an ophthalmologist at the University Hospital, with special interests in both oculoplastic and vitreoretinal surgery. He completed his PhD thesis on retinal imaging. He also served as the Head of the Ophthalmology Lab.
- He has published numerous articles in ophthalmological German and international journals. Dr. Schaudig is a member of various scientific societies and serves as a regular reviewer for several ophthalmological journals.
- In 2007, he took up the post of the Chief Physician of the Department of Ophthalmology at the Academic Teaching Hospital Asklepios Barmbek.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Asklepios Klinik Barmbek
Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology.
Academic Hospital Asklepios Barmbek Hamburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.