Diagnosis and conservative treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis (program ID: 300873)
Academic Hospital Augustinerinnen Cologne
Urte SommerwerckSpecialized in: pulmonology
Department of Pulmonology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- biochemical analysis of blood
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- x-ray and bronchography
- electrocardiogram (ECG)
- high-resolution computed tomography (HR-CT)
- collected three sputum samples
- tuberculin skin test
- pulmonary function test
- blood gas analysis
- bronchial lavage
- bacteriological and microbiological examination
- consultation of related specialists
- symptomatic specific treatment
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- control examinations
- full hospital accommodation
- developing of further guidance
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Pulmonology at the Academic Hospital Augustinerinnen in Cologne, headed by Dr. med. Urte Sommerwerck, deals with the diagnosis and treatment of all respiratory diseases. Pulmonology, including artificial lung ventilation and sleep medicine with 3 sections containing 46 beds. There are annually treated over 2,100 inpatients.
The Department of Pulmonology has a special focus on the diagnosis and treatment of chronic obstructive respiratory diseases, especially progressive stages of COPD/emphysema. In addition to drug treatment options, there are also offered non-drug treatments, including noninvasive artificial lung ventilation (ALV), continuous oxygen therapy and lung volume reduction. The diagnosis of malignant lung and pleural diseases is carried out by means of cutting-edge endoscopic techniques. Drug and maintenance treatment of malignant lung diseases is provided on an inpatient basis. To ensure a comprehensive treatment of all malignant lung and pleural diseases, there is maintained tight cooperation with thoracic surgeons, oncologists and radiologists in private practice.
The Department of Pulmonology at the Academic Hospital Augustinerinnen has a unique competence in the field of device-based therapy for severe respiratory disorders not only of the lungs, but also of complications after diseases of the nervous system, musculoskeletal system. There is designed a specialized section for noninvasive ALV.
Another focus of the Department of Pulmonology is the diagnosis and treatment of interstitial lung diseases. There are offered all common methods, including open lung biopsy (in cooperation with the Department of Surgery), as well as drug and non-drug medical procedures.
The Department of Pulmonology has a big Weaning Section. There are admitted patients with a long-term ALV from the hospitals of other regions. The Department also provides weaning from mechanical ventilation. If a patient cannot be weaned from ALV, the physicians of the Department at the Augustinerinnen Hospital in Cologne have a separate specialized unit for a long-term ALV. Moreover, there is close collaboration with intensive care services for the so-called artificial lung ventilation at home.
The treatment focuses of the Department of Pulmonology at the Academic Hospital Augustinerinnen are:
- Lung cancer
- Chronic obstructive bronchitis and emphysema / COPD
- Bronchial asthma
- Interstitial lung diseases
- Infectious lung diseases
- Pulmonary and extrapulmonary tuberculosis, including, multi-drug resistant forms, as well as atypical mycobacteriosis
- Lung diseases in immunodeficiency and immune dysregulation (autoimmune diseases)
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Occupational lung diseases (silicosis, asbestosis, etc.)
- Pleural diseases with pneumothorax, pleural effusion and pleural empyema in cooperation with the Department of Thoracic Surgery at the Academic Hospital Augustinerinnen in Cologne
- Long-term oxygen therapy and ALV at home
- Diagnosis and treatment of benign and malignant tumors of the lungs and bronchi, pleura, diaphragm, mediastinum, as well as chest wall tumors and chest deformities in cooperation with the Department of Thoracic Surgery
- Diagnosis and treatment of allergic diseases
The field of pulmonology offers the following diagnostic and therapeutic procedures:
- Video-guided bronchoscopy
- Rigid bronchoscopy
- Stent implantation
- Transbronchial lung biopsy
- Bronchoalveolar lavage
- Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS)
- Interventional bronchoscopy under anesthesia in the treatment of tumors (tumor removal), in hemostasis and removal of foreign bodies
- Comprehensive functional diagnosis of the lungs, including a whole body plethysmography, lung diffusion testing, diagnosis of the respiratory muscle disorders
- Blood gas test to detect chest wall diseases, including ultrasound-guided puncture of the chest wall, costal and pulmonary pleura, as well as pulmonary lesions close to the chest wall
- Thoracoscopy to detect and treat diseases of the costal and pulmonary pleura (in cooperation with the Department of Surgery)
- 1987 - 1994 Study of Human Medicine at the Universities of Kiel and Tuebingen.
- 1994 - 1999 Intern, Assistant Physician in the Department of Internal Medicine at the St. Johannes Clinic, Troisdorf-Sieglar.
- 1999 - 2015 Assistant Physician, Senior Physician and Leading Senior Physician, Department of Internal Medicine and Pulmonology, Hospital Ruhrland Essen.
- Development of an interdisciplinary concept of diagnostics and treatment of incurable lung diseases.
- Medical care for patients who have underwent lung transplantation.
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Diagnosis and conservative treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis
- Hospital: Academic Hospital Augustinerinnen Cologne
- access_time Duration:
There are 70 pulmonary tuberculosis treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics