Diagnosis and conservative treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis (program ID: 300873)
Academic Hospital Augustinerinnen Cologne
Urte SommerwerckSpecialized in: pulmonology
Department of Pulmonology
The program includes:
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- biochemical analysis of blood
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- x-ray and bronchography
- electrocardiogram (ECG)
- high-resolution computed tomography (HR-CT)
- collected three sputum samples
- tuberculin skin test
- pulmonary function test
- blood gas analysis
- bronchial lavage
- bacteriological and microbiological examination
- consultation of related specialists
- symptomatic specific treatment
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- control examinations
- full hospital accommodation
- developing of further guidance
- Medical records
- Chest X-ray, MRI/CT scan (if available)
You may also book:
About the department
The Department of Pulmonology at the Academic Hospital Augustinerinnen Cologne offers the full range of medical services for the diagnostics and treatment of respiratory diseases. The specialists have unique experience in the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases, asthma, interstitial lung diseases, infectious lesions of the respiratory system and pleural diseases. In addition, the department's doctors specialize in the treatment of sleep disorders and long-term non-invasive ventilation. The department has state-of-the-art diagnostic and therapeutic techniques to guarantee complete recovery of the patients even in the most complex clinical cases. The department annually admits more than 2,100 inpatients. The department is headed by Dr. med. Urte Sommerwerck.
The priority focuses of the department are the diagnostics and treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases, particularly the progressive stages of COPD and pulmonary emphysema. Along with drug treatment, the patients are offered non-drug methods, including non-invasive ventilation (NIV), long-term oxygen therapy and lung volume reduction surgery.
The department is also distinguished by its experience in hardware treatment of severe respiratory disorders caused by lung pathologies, diseases of the nervous system or musculoskeletal diseases. The department offers a specialized section for non-invasive ventilation.
The key tasks of the department's medical team also include the diagnostics and treatment of interstitial lung diseases. It offers all informative and effective techniques, including open lung biopsy (in collaboration with the Department of Surgery), as well as drug and non-drug therapy.
In addition, the department's specialists often deal with the treatment of patients with lung and pleural malignancies. The availability of progressive endoscopic and imaging techniques can detect a tumor, determine its type and stage as accurately as possible. Once a week, the department holds special interdisciplinary tumor boards, within which the doctors develop individual treatment plans for patients with cancers of the pulmonological spectrum. The tumor boards involve the participation of oncologists, radiologists, radiotherapists and surgeons.
The department has the Weaning Center, which is certified by the German Society of Pulmonology and Respiratory Medicine. The center admits patients from clinics in other regions and provides weaning. If it is impossible to immediately wean the patient from mechanical ventilation, he is monitored in a specialized unit for long-term mechanical ventilation. In addition, there is maintained close cooperation with intensive care services for ventilation at home.
The main activities of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of bronchial asthma
- Diagnostics and treatment of interstitial lung diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of infectious lung diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis, including multidrug-resistant types, as well as atypical mycobacteriosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of lung diseases caused by immunodeficiency conditions and autoimmune diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of pulmonary hypertension
- Diagnostics and treatment of occupational lung diseases (silicosis, asbestosis, etc.)
- Diagnostics and treatment of pleural diseases with pneumothorax, pleural effusion and empyema (in collaboration with thoracic surgeons)
- Long-term oxygen therapy and home mechanical ventilation
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign and malignant tumors of the lungs and bronchi, tumors of the pleura and diaphragm, mediastinum, as well as chest wall tumors and chest deformities (in collaboration with thoracic surgeons)
- Diagnostics and treatment of drug allergies
- Diagnostics and treatment of bee venom allergies
- Diagnostics and treatment of food intolerance
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergic rhinitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergic bronchial asthma
- Diagnostics and treatment of hereditary angioedema
- Diagnostics and treatment of mastocytosis
- Sleep medicine
- Diagnostics and treatment of obstructive sleep apnea
- Diagnostics and treatment of central sleep apnea
- Diagnostics and treatment of insomnia
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases
The department specializes in the following diagnostic and therapeutic procedures:
- Video bronchoscopy
- Rigid bronchoscopy
- Stent implantation
- Transbronchial lung biopsy
- Bronchoalveolar lavage
- Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS)
- Bronchoscopy under anesthesia to remove tumors, hemostasis and foreign bodies
- Comprehensive functional pulmonary testing, including whole-body plethysmography, assessment of diffusion capacity of the lungs and respiratory muscles
- Blood gas test
- Diagnostics of thoracic wall diseases, including puncture of the thoracic wall, costal and pulmonary pleura, as well as superficially located foci in the lungs (ultrasound-guided)
- Thoracoscopy for the diagnostics and treatment of pleural diseases (in collaboration with the Department of Surgery)
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
- 1987 - 1994 Study of Human Medicine at the Universities of Kiel and Tuebingen.
- 1994 - 1999 Intern, Assistant Physician in the Department of Internal Medicine at the St. Johannes Clinic, Troisdorf-Sieglar.
- 1999 - 2015 Assistant Physician, Senior Physician and Leading Senior Physician, Department of Internal Medicine and Pulmonology, Hospital Ruhrland Essen.
- Development of an interdisciplinary concept of diagnostics and treatment of incurable lung diseases.
- Medical care for patients who have underwent lung transplantation.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Krankenhaus der Augustinerinnen
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Diagnosis and conservative treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis
- Hospital: Academic Hospital Augustinerinnen Cologne
There are 76 pulmonary tuberculosis treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics