Academic Hospital Cologne-Merheim
Department of Neurology (274438)
Specialized in: neurology
About the Department of Neurology at Academic Hospital Cologne-Merheim
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Neurology at the Academic Hospital Cologne-Merheim ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in multiple sclerosis treatment!
The department offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for patients with pathological changes in the brain and spinal cord, peripheral nerves and muscular system. 80 beds are available for hospitalization. The department's specialists annually treat more than 3,000 inpatients with neurological diseases of varying severity.
The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Volker Limmroth. The doctor has repeatedly been ranked among the top German specialists in Neurology.
The department has advanced medical equipment for the most accurate diagnostics of neurological diseases. It carries out modern neurophysiological examinations (for example, electroencephalography, electroneurography and electromyography), registration of evoked potentials, ultrasound examinations, including Doppler, duplex and transcranial duplex sonography to assess blood circulation in the brain. The patients can undergo video-oculography and posturography for the diagnostics of dizziness. The computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging of the brain and spinal cord can be carried out in collaboration with the Department of Neuroradiology. The diagnostic options are complemented by comprehensive cerebrospinal fluid testing, as well as neuropsychological diagnostics.
The department has excellent results in the treatment of brain tumors. The treatment of brain cancer is a complex clinical task, and therefore the department's neurologists prefer an interdisciplinary approach. As a rule, neurosurgeons, neuroradiologists and the specialists in neurological rehabilitation are involved in the therapeutic process. The treatment regimen is developed solely on an individual basis, taking into account particular clinical indicators and the stage of the oncological process. The department's specialists mostly have to deal with the treatment of gliomas, meningiomas, medulloblastomas, neurinomas and brain metastases.
The department includes the progressive Stroke Unit and the Intensive Care Unit. The Intensive Care Unit treats about 400 patients annually. In most cases, these are patients with impaired cerebral circulation, hemorrhages into the brain and its internal structures, and hemorrhages from the pia mater. The Intensive Care Unit also deals with the treatment of patients with meningitis, certain forms of epilepsy, Parkinson's disease, neuromuscular junction disorders, etc. The main treatment method for stroke is thrombolysis (pharmacotherapy aimed at the rapid dissolution of the clot in the vessel). This type of treatment is effective during the first hours after the onset of symptoms of a stroke.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of brain tumors
- Pituitary adenomas
- Brain metastases
- Diagnostics and treatment of stroke (within the specialized Stroke Unit)
- Diagnostics and treatment of headaches
- All forms of migraine
- Tension headache
- Cluster headache
- Medication-overuse headache
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Diagnostics and treatment of epilepsy
- Diagnostics and treatment of multiple sclerosis
- Therapy for relieving exacerbations
- Continuous immunomodulatory therapy for reduction of the risk of relapse and control of disease dynamics
- Symptomatic therapy
- Conservative treatment methods (for example, physiotherapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy)
- Diagnostics and treatment of Parkinson's disease
- Drug therapy
- Conservative treatment methods (for example, physiotherapy, occupational therapy)
- Deep brain stimulation
- Neurological intensive care
- Other services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Volker Limmroth
Education and Professional Career
- 1984 - 1990 Study of Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine of the Georg-August-University of Göttingen, as well as the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- 1990 - 1993 Intern and Assistant Physician, Department of Neurology, Essen University Hospital.
- 1991 Doctoral thesis defense at the Georg-August-University of Göttingen.
- 1993 - 1996 Neurology Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston.
- 1996 - 1997 Work in the Department of General Psychiatry at the Essen University Hospital.
- 1998 Board certification in Neurology, the Medical Association of North Rhine, as well as the theoretical basis of the specialty in Cerebrospinal Fluid Research, Neurological Laboratory Medicine.
- 1999 Senior Physician, Department of Neurology, Essen University Hospital.
- 2002 Leading Senior Physician, Department of Neurology.
- 2002 Habilitation, University of Essen.
- Since 2006 Chief Physician of the Department of Neurology at the Academic Hospital Cologne-Merheim.
- 2008 Deputy Medical Director of the Academic Hospital Cologne-Merheim.
- 2008 Extraordinary Professorship, University of Cologne.
- 2010 - 2013 Medical Director of the Academic Hospital Cologne-Merheim.
- Special neurological intensive care.
- Palliative care.
- Immunology and multiple sclerosis treatment.
- Stroke treatment.
- Pathophysiology, genetics and treatment of pain syndromes.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Kliniken der Stadt Köln gGmbH
Department of Neurology.
Academic Hospital Cologne-Merheim:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.