Academic Hospital Cologne-Merheim
Department of Orthopedics, Traumatology and Sports Traumatology (274441)
Specialized in: orthopedics, traumatology, sports traumatology
About the department
According to the reputable Focus magazine, the Department of Orthopedics, Traumatology and Sports Traumatology at the Academic Hospital Cologne-Merheim ranks among the best medical facilities in Germany specializing in knee and hip replacement surgery, as well as in the treatment of injuries of varying severity!
The department offers the full range of medical services in these medical fields. It has innovative treatments, state-of-the-art equipment and highly professional staff, which forms a solid foundation for the successful clinical practice. Despite technical progress and automation of many clinical processes, the focus of the attention of the department's doctors is on the patient, his individual needs and wishes.
The department is headed Prof. Dr. med. Bertil Bouillon. He is an outstanding specialist who has repeatedly been included in the ranking of the best doctors in Germany in his field of competence.
The team of the department’s doctora has gained an excellent reputation in the field of hip and knee replacement surgery. Such interventions are performed using the very latest medical techniques, including with computer navigation. In addition, the department widely uses the cutting-edge methods of intraoperative imaging. It is worth noting that the preparation and performance of the world's first endoprosthesis implantation with i-Pod navigation made the department famous both in Germany and in many other countries of the world.
The high quality of the department's medical services is confirmed by a number of prestigious certificates. In the field of implantation of hip and knee prostheses, the department is the only clinic in Cologne, which is included in the list of the best specialized health facilities in the Rhine region (according to the special quality system regulation (QSR) of the General Health Insurance Fund). In addition, the department is certified by the German Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology as the Maximum Care Center for Hip and Knee Arthroplasty. The department's successful work is also awarded by the certificate of Cooperation for Transparency and Quality in Healthcare (KTQ).
The range of the department’s medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of knee diseases, including endoprosthetics
- Meniscal injuries, including meniscal transplantation and partial meniscal replacement
- Primary and secondary anterior cruciate ligament tear
- Posterior cruciate ligament tear
- Tear of all cruciate ligaments
- Patellar dislocation
- Cartilage lesions, including cartilage transplantation
- Runner's knee
- Jumper's knee
- Iliotibial band syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of shoulder diseases
- Shoulder arthrosis
- Shoulder impingement syndrome
- Frozen shoulder
- Rotator cuff tear
- Pectoralis major tendon rupture
- Shoulder dislocation
- Damage to the upper part of the articular lip of the scapula
- Diagnostics and treatment of elbow diseases
- Distal biceps tendon rupture
- Elbow dislocation
- Elbow instability
- Elbow arthrosis
- Tennis player's elbow
- Golfer's elbow
- Knee and hip replacement surgery within the specialized Maximum Care Endoprosthetics Center
- Foot surgery
- Spinal surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of injuries of varying severity, including sports injuries
- Diagnostics and treatment of soft tissue and bone tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of bone infections
- Other medical services
Education and Professional Career
- 1976 - 1982 Study of Human Medicine, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- 1983 - 1984 Military service, navy, ship's doctor, Wilhelmshaven.
- 1984 - 1986 Assistant Physician, Department of Surgery II, University of Cologne.
- 1986 - 1987 Internship abroad, McGill University, Canada, Montreal.
- 1987 - 1995 Assistant Physician, Department of Surgery II, University of Cologne.
- 1996 - 2001 Senior Physician, Department of Surgery II, University of Cologne.
- 1998 Habilitation.
- 2001 - 2003 Leading Senior Physician, Department of Surgery II, University of Cologne.
- 2003 - 2004 Acting Head of the Department of Surgery at the Academic Hospital Cologne-Merheim.
- Since 2004 Head of the Department of Orthopedics, Traumatology of Sports Traumatology at the Academic Hospital Cologne-Merheim.
- 2004 Invitation to the Department of Traumatology and Orthopedics at Witten-Herdecke University.
- 2005 Appointed as Dean of the Faculty at Witten-Herdecke University.
- 1987 Diploma in Epidemiology and Biostatistics.
- 1992 Board certification in Surgery.
- 1994 Specialization in Traumatology.
- 1999 Specialization in Surgical Intensive Care.
- 2009 Board certification in Orthopedics and Traumatology.
- 2009 Additional specialization in Special Traumatology.
- Fracture treatment, including pelvic and spinal fractures.
- Treatment of injuries at work.
- Treatment of sports injuries, including damage to joints, menisci, cruciate ligaments.
- Treatment of tendon and muscle injuries, including the Achilles tendon, the quadriceps tendon, the biceps tendon.
- Hip replacement surgery.
- Quality of life after injuries.
- Blood coagulation disorders after injuries.
- Sports injuries.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Trauma Society (DGU).
- German Society of Surgery (DGCH).
- Professional Association of German Surgeons (BDC).
- Association of Emergency Physicians in Northrhine-Westphalia (AGNNW).
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS).
- American Association for the Surgery of Trauma (AAST).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Kliniken der Stadt Köln gGmbH
Department of Orthopedics, Traumatology and Sports Traumatology.
Academic Hospital Cologne-Merheim:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.