Academic Hospital Cologne-Merheim
Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Diabetology (292224)
Specialized in: cardiology, angiology, diabetology
About the department
The Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Diabetology at the Academic Hospital Cologne-Merheim offers all the options of modern medicine in these fields. The department specializes in the interventional treatment of heart valve pathologies, diagnostics and treatment of arrhythmias, emergency care in acute coronary syndrome, non-invasive methods of cardiovascular imaging, diagnostics and treatment of vascular diseases, as well as the treatment of diabetes mellitus. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Axel Meissner.
The clinical activities of the department's competent team of doctors are based on the use of innovative treatment methods and an individual approach to each patient, which contributes to excellent results. If necessary, the experts in nephrology, gastroenterology, pulmonology, radiology, neurology and vascular surgery can be involved in the therapeutic process. Thanks to this, the patients receive comprehensive treatment, taking into account all the medical nuances.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Left heart catheterization (contrast-enhanced invasive imaging of coronary arteries)
- Fractional flow reserve measurement
- Intravascular ultrasound
- Intravascular OCT
- Right heart catheterization for the assessment of the severity of pre- and post-capillary pulmonary hypertension, as well as for the assessment of the heart valve function
- Myocardial biopsy
- Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty with and without implantation of stents (classic stents, drug-coated stents and others)
- Intra-aortic balloon counterpulsation
- Foramen ovale closure
- Atrial septal defect closure
- Atrial appendage closure
- Coronary artery recanalization in acute myocardial infarction
- Rhythmology and interventional electrophysiology
- Implantation of pacemakers
- Implantation of defibrillators
- Implantation of event recorders
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy
- Ablation therapy
- Catheter-assisted pulmonary vein isolation
- Doppler ultrasonography
- Color-flow duplex scanning
- Electronic oscillography
- Venous occlusion plethysmography
- Light reflection rheography
- Treadmill ergometry
- Capillary microscopy
- Percutaneous measurement of arterial oxygen saturation
- 24-hour blood pressure monitoring
- Diagnostics and treatment of type I diabetes mellitus
- Diagnostics and treatment of type II diabetes mellitus
- Diagnostics and treatment of all other types of diabetes mellitus (for example, LADA diabetes, secondary diabetes mellitus caused by medication intake)
- Insulin therapy
- Therapy using insulin pumps
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
Photo of the doctor: (c) Kliniken der Stadt Köln gGmbH
Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Diabetology.
Academic Hospital Cologne-Merheim:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.