Academic Hospital St. Elisabethen Lörrach
Department of Pediatric Surgery (367506)
Specialized in: pediatric surgery
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Surgery at the Academic Hospital St. Elisabethen Lörrach offers the full range of conservative, surgical and postoperative treatment of bone fractures, gastrointestinal diseases, congenital and acquired diseases of the genitourinary system. The department also performs plastic and reconstructive interventions. The Chief Physician of the department is an outstanding pediatric surgeon, Dr. med. Tobias Berberich.
The special task of the department is to guarantee the treatment success with the highest possible safety for a young patient. In this regard, minimally invasive surgical procedures are among the priority treatments. Such interventions as fundoplication, cholecystectomy, appendectomy, pyloromyotomy and the treatment of undescended testes can be successfully performed using the minimally invasive techniques. Thanks to this approach, the doctors can achieve the best cosmetic results, reduce the injury rate and pain, whereas the healing and recovery processes can be accelerated as well. In particular, the department's innovation is a special surgical technique, in which the cecum (appendix) is removed almost without the skin incision, through the navel.
To provide medical care, which meets all children's needs, the department has the specially trained team of pediatric surgeons, anesthetists and child care specialists. During the treatment process, the doctors apply their special knowledge about the treatment of children, the mechanisms of growth and correction of skeletal deformities. Therefore, the treatment of children according to the international recommendations very often significantly differs from the treatment of adults.
The department was awarded with the Ausgezeichnet. FÜR KINDER quality seal. ("Excellent. For children") of the German Academy for Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine for the outstanding treatment quality.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Gastrointestinal diseases
- Minimally invasive appendectomy in acute and chronic appendicitis
- Minimally invasive cholecystectomy in calculous cholecystitis
- Minimally invasive pylorotomy in pyloric stenosis
- Minimally invasive and open fundoplication in diaphragmatic hernia and gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Congenital and acquired urogenital diseases
- Minimally invasive correction of testicular position in unilateral and bilateral cryptorchidism
- Treatment of hydrocele (hydrocele testis)
- Plastic interventions in hypospadias
- Plastic interventions in epispadias
- Correction of phimosis
- Bone fractures
- Reposition of fractures under general or local anesthesia, taking into account the characteristics of the child’s body
- Immobilization of the damaged limb using modern splints
- Adhesive plaster traction for fractures in young children
- Intramedullary osteosynthesis in older children
- Assessment of fracture consolidation using high-power X-ray examination, CT and MRI
- Other diseases and treatment methods
Education and Professional Сareer
- Since June 2009 Head of the Department of Pediatric Surgery at the Academic Hospital St. Elisabethen Lörrach.
- Specialist in Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital Basel, Switzerland.
- 2003 - 2009 Senior Physician, Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland.
- 1996 - 2003 Professional training in Adult and Pediatric Surgery, Leopoldina Hospital Schweinfurt, Bavaria.
- Intern, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Würzburg.
- 1990 - 1996 Study of Human Medicine at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich and the University of Würzburg.
Main Clinical Focuses
- General pediatric surgery.
- General and abdominal surgery.
- Thoracic surgery.
- Pediatric traumatology.
- Surgery of cranial malformations.
- Urology (hypospadias and other malformations of the reproductive organs, kidneys and urinary tract, including minimally invasive surgery).
- Surgery for congenital malformations.
- Surgery for congenital vascular malformations.
Photo of the doctor: (c) St. Elisabethen Krankenhaus gGmbH
Department of Pediatric Surgery.
Academic Hospital St. Elisabethen Lörrach:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.