St. Elisabethen Hospital Lörrach
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology (371104)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric otolaryngology
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology at St. Elisabethen Hospital Lörrach
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology at the St. Elisabethen Hospital Lörrach offers the full range of services in this medical field. The department specializes in the diagnostics, conservative and surgical treatment of ENT diseases. Doctors deal with the treatment of patients of various age groups – from young children to elderly patients. About 600 inpatient and 700 outpatient interventions are performed here annually. When conducting surgical treatment, doctors use the very latest surgical techniques and advanced medical equipment. The department performs all modern interventions on the ENT organs, including pharyngeal and palatine tonsil removal, hearing improvement surgery, interventions to improve nasal breathing, operations for snoring and obstructive sleep apnea, laryngeal surgery, plastic surgery to reshape the nasal cavity and ears. Each patient is guaranteed to receive customized medical care in accordance with European standards. The department is headed by Dr. med. Kai Hecksteden.
When admitted to the department, doctors hold an individual consultation with the patient, during which they ask him in detail about his medical history and current complaints. The doctor then prescribes a set of necessary diagnostic tests, based on the results of which he selects the optimal treatment method or a combination of several types of treatment. In most cases, the patient is examined on an outpatient basis. The department's specialists have a perfect command of all modern methods for assessing the condition of the ENT organs: otomicroscopy, endoscopic examinations of the ear, throat and nose, hearing testing in adults and children, including hearing screening in newborns, examinations for dizziness, ultrasound scans, etc.
A large number of surgical interventions in the department falls on the surgical treatment of ear pathologies. The most frequent operations include tympanic membrane paracentesis; tympanoplasty to restore the ossicles of the middle ear, tympanic membrane, auditory tube and tympanic cavity; myringoplasty (surgical repair of a perforated eardrum); plastic interventions for ear reshaping. The department's surgeons successfully use endoscopic and microsurgical techniques, which can significantly reduce the duration of the operation and postoperative recovery. In addition, modern low traumatic techniques ensure an excellent aesthetic result and practically do not leave scars.
The department's clinical practice deals with surgery on the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses. The specialists of the medical facility have excellent professional skills in the field of septoplasty (surgery to repair the nasal septum curvature), operations for nasal fractures, removal of nasal polyps, puncture of the maxillary sinus for sinusitis and other interventions. The area of responsibility of otolaryngologists also includes plastic surgery for nose reshaping. The department's operating rooms are adapted for sparing operations, after which the patient can leave the hospital as soon as possible.
In the field of pediatric otolaryngology, special attention is paid to hearing screening in newborns, as well as to pharyngeal and palatine tonsil removal surgery – adenectomy, tonsillectomy and tonsillotomy.
The main areas of the department’s clinical activity include:
- Surgery on the pharyngeal and palatine tonsils
- Hearing improvement surgery
- Tympanic membrane paracentesis
- Tympanostomy tube insertion
- Ear reshaping (otoplasty)
- Surgery on the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses
- Septoplasty (surgical repair of a deviated septum)
- Surgery for nasal fractures
- Nasal polyp removal
- Maxillary sinus puncture
- Nose reshaping (rhinoplasty)
- Surgery for snoring and obstructive sleep apnea
- Laryngeal microsurgery
- Surgical interventions in the throat and salivary glands (for example, marsupialization)
- Other treatment methods
Curriculum vitae of Dr. med. Kai Hecksteden
Higher Education, Postgraduate Training and Professional Career
- 1992 - 1993 Compulsory military service, partly paramedic officer in the field hospital of Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- 1993 - 1999 Study of Medicine with training in France, "Socrates" Scholarship, USA and South Africa.
- 2000 - 2003 Assistant Physician, Department of Otolaryngology, University Hospital Mannheim.
- 2001 Admission to medical practice and doctoral thesis defense.
- 2002 Scholarship of the Research Foundation of the Faculty of Clinical Medicine, University of Mannheim.
- 2002 Advanced training in Laser Medicine.
- 2003 - 2007 Assistant Physician and Senior Physician in the Department of Otolaryngology, University Hospital Freiburg.
- 2004 Advanced training in Somnology, German Society for Sleep Research and Sleep Medicine (DGSM).
- 2004 - 2007 Head of the Sleep Laboratory, Department of Otolaryngology, University Hospital Freiburg.
- 2005 Board certification in Otolaryngology, additional qualification in the treatment of voice and speech disorders.
- 2007 Additional qualification in Sleep Medicine.
- 2007 Start of work at the St. Elisabethen Hospital Lörrach.
- 2008 Additional qualification in Allergology.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
- French Society of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
- Working Group on Sleep Medicine of the German Society of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
- German Society for Sleep Research and Sleep Medicine (DGSM).
- German-French Working Group of the German Society of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
- Professional Association of Otolaryngologists.
- Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians Baden-Wuerttemberg.
- Ärztenetz Dreiländereck e.V. Medical Organization.
Photo of the doctor: (c) St. Elisabethen-Krankenhaus gGmbH
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology.
St. Elisabethen Hospital Lörrach:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.