Academic Lung Hospital Berlin
The Department of Pneumology and Lung Cancer ( 302938)
Specialized in: pulmonology, lung cancer
The Department of Pneumology and Lung Cancer at the Academic Lung Hospital Berlin under the lead of Prof. Dr. med. Christian Grohé offers a comprehensive range of diagnosis, treatment and patient care of all diseases of the lungs and related organs. Specialized physicians, specially trained nursing staff and physiotherapists, psychooncologists and social services work in a close cooperation. Main interests of the Department are acute and chronic lung and bronchus illnesses, such as asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, lung fibrosis as well as tumor diseases and sleep-related respiratory disorders.
Thanks to the highest medical quality in treatment of tumor diseases of the lungs, the Department has been certified as a Lung Cancer Center by the major German cancer charity Deutsche Krebshilfe since 2009.
Every year, the Lung Cancer Center at the Academic Lung Hospital Berlin under the lead of Prof. Dr. med. Christian Grohé treats approx. 3,500 patients, including 600 patients with newly diagnosed diseases. The treatment of lung tumors is performed on an interdisciplinary basis – i.e. pneumologists, thoracic surgeons, radiotherapists, oncologists, pain therapists, radiologists and pathologists examine tissues and cells, define examinations and treatments together with specialized nursing professionals. A tailored interdisciplinary therapy strategy is developed for each patient on the daily tumor conferences in compliance with the latest scientific findings.
According to the Focus magazine rating of 2017, the Department of Pneumology and Lung Cancer at the Academic Lung Hospital Berlin ranks among the top German departments specializing in lung cancer treatment!
In addition, the Academic Lung Hospital Berlin has an accredited sleep laboratory and is certified by the German Society for Pneumology and Respiratory Medicine as a Weaning Center for weaning from respiratory assistance.
The Department of Pneumology, headed by Prof. Dr. med. Christian Grohé, traditionally covers treatment of a large part of newly diagnosed tuberculosis diseases in Berlin, and, additionally, carries out consultation services to that end in broader areas. The specialists of the Department of Pneumology also investigate and treat more rare diseases such as alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency and pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH).
The range of inpatient examinations and therapies is extended by services on an outpatient basis. The Outpatient Center at the Department of Pneumology coordinates the outpatient treatment and ensures that patients with lung diseases receive an optimal comprehensive treatment.
Main treatment areas of the Department of Pneumology:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Interstitial lung diseases
- Infectious lung diseases (pneumonia / tuberculosis)
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)
- Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency
- Insect poison allergy
- Tumor diseases of the lungs
- Respiratory medicine (Weaning)
- Sleep-related respiratory disorders / Sleep laboratory
Treatment modalities of the Lung Cancer Center at the Academic Lung Hospital Berlin cover all forms and stages of lung cancer:
- Small-cell lung cancer
- Non-small-cell lung cancer: squamous carcinoma, adenocarcinoma, large cell carcinoma
- Pulmonary metastases
- Mediastinal tumors
- Pleural carcinomatosis (spreading of tumor cells)
- Tumors of unclear genesis (e.g. benign tumors of the lung, mediastinum and the chest wall)
The range of services of the Lung Cancer Center at the Academic Lung Hospital Berlin:
- Examinations in patients with suspected lung cancer (diagnosis)
- Bronchoscopy with an option of biopsy
- Mediastinoscopy (visualization of the contents of the mediastinum)
- Lung function test
- X-Ray / CT
- Magnetic resonance tomography MRT
- Computer-aided image analysis (CAD)
- Positron emission tomography (PET) (an external cooperation partner)
- Curative therapies for destruction of tumors
- Bronchoscopic removal of tracheal and bronchial tumors
- Antibody therapy
- Tyrosine kinase inhibitors
- Thoracosurgical operations for removal of tumors and metastases
- Lobectomies (removal of one of the lobes of the lungs)
- VATS-lobectomy (video-assisted removal of one of the lobes of the lungs)
- Pneumonectomy (removal of the lung)
- Lung sleeve resections, tissue sparing procedure
- Sleeve pneumonectomies
- Segment resections (removal of lung segment)
- Palliative decortication
- Removal of tumors of the mediastinum, chest wall and trachea
- Laser treatment of the lung metastases
- Microwave ablation of lung metastases (removal of microwaves)
- Palliative therapy
- Outpatient treatment and patient care
Academic Lung Hospital Berlin
The Department of Pneumology and Lung Cancer
- Berlin, Germany