Evangelical Lung Hospital Berlin
Department of Pulmonology and Pulmonary Oncology (302938)
Specialized in: pulmonology, pulmonary oncology
About the Department of Pulmonology and Pulmonary Oncology at Evangelical Lung Hospital Berlin
The Department of Pulmonology and Pulmonary Oncology at the Evangelical Lung Hospital Berlin offers the full range of diagnostics, treatment and follow-up monitoring for patients with respiratory diseases. The department’s key clinical focuses include the treatment of acute and chronic lung diseases, such as bronchial asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, pulmonary fibrosis, as well as the treatment of cancer and sleep-related breathing disorders. In 2009, the department was certified by the German Cancer Society in lung cancer treatment and meets these standards to the present day. In addition, the department's medical team has more than 20 years of experience in treating rare pulmonary diseases, including alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency and pulmonary arterial hypertension. The clinical practice involves the use of only reliable and highly effective treatment methods, which guarantee the cure of even the most complex clinical cases. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Christian Grohé.
The department has the very latest resources and unique experience in the treatment of lung cancer. It annually treats about 3,500 patients, while 600 of them are patients with newly diagnosed oncological pathologies. Lung tumors are treated using an interdisciplinary approach with the participation of pulmonologists, thoracic surgeons, radiation therapists, oncologists, specialists in pain therapy, radiologists and pathologists. Within the framework of daily tumor boards, each patient receives an individual treatment regimen, corresponding to the advanced scientific achievements.
The department also has an accredited Sleep Laboratory and is the Weaning Center (accreditation of the German Society of Pulmonology and Mechanical Ventilation).
The department's specialists have rich experience and expert knowledge in the field of medical care for patients with newly diagnosed tuberculosis. In addition, the department's pulmonologists are involved in the research and treatment of such rare diseases as alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency and pulmonary hypertension.
The department also operates a specialized Outpatient Center, which coordinates outpatient treatment and provides optimal follow-up monitoring for patients with lung diseases upon the completion of the main course of therapy.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Benign pathologies
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Interstitial lung diseases
- Infectious lung diseases (pneumonia, tuberculosis)
- Benign pleural diseases
- Benign mediastinal diseases
- Occupational diseases of the lungs and pleura (for example, caused by the contact with asbestos)
- Congenital lung diseases
- Chronic cough
- Pulmonary emphysema
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Lung lesions in autoimmune diseases
- Bronchial asthma
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency
- Insecticide allergy
- Sleep-related breathing disorders (obstructive sleep apnoea)
- Rare lung diseases (for example, histiocytosis X, lymphangioleiomyomatosis, alveolar proteinosis)
- Malignant pathologies
- Small cell lung cancer
- Non-small cell lung cancer (squamous cell carcinoma, adenocarcinoma)
- Large cell lung cancer
- Lung metastases
- Mediastinal tumors
- Pleural cancer (including pleural metastases)
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Tumors of unknown origin and rare tumors
- Other diseases
The department's range of diagnostic and therapeutic services includes:
- Diagnostics of allergic reactions (prick tests, blood tests)
- CT-guided percutaneous lung biopsy
- Ultrasound scanning of the lungs and pleura
- Diagnostic pleural puncture
- Right heart catheterization
- Flexible and rigid bronchoscopy
- Biopsy of the bronchi and lungs
- Bronchoalveolar lavage for diagnostic purposes
- Endobronchial ultrasound scanning
- Pulmonary function testing
- Salbutamol spirography
- Diagnostics for suspected lung cancer
- Bronchoscopy with biopsy
- Pulmonary function testing
- X-ray and CT scanning
- Ultrasound diagnostics (sonography)
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Computer aided diagnosis (CAD)
- Positron emission tomography (PET) (in collaboration with partner clinics)
- Mechanical ventilation at night (CPAP, BiPAP)
- Ventilation therapy for chronic respiratory failure (ventilation using a special mask, tracheostomy)
- Home mechanical ventilation and outpatient care
- Lung ventilation in the case of pathologies of the respiratory muscles in adults (for example, in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
- Therapeutic pleural puncture
- Bronchoalveolar lavage for therapeutic purposes
- Removal of tumors from the trachea and bronchi
- Stent implantation in the trachea and bronchi
- Preparation for lung transplantation
- Smoking cessation programs
- Curative tumor therapy
- Radiation therapy
- Bronchoscopic removal of tumors from the respiratory tract
- Antibody therapy
- Tyrosine kinase inhibitor therapy
- Palliative care
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Christian Grohé
- 2014 Appointed as a Pulmonologist by the German Cancer Society (permission for certification of Lung Cancer Centers).
- 2011 Recognized as a Specialist in Palliative Care.
- 2004 Recognized as a Specialist in Cardiology.
- 2002 Recognized as a Specialist in Pulmonology.
- 1999 Habilitation.
- 1996 Recognized as a Specialist in Internal Medicine.
- 1989 Admission to medical practice.
- 1982 - 1988 Study of Human Medicine in Bonn, Berlin, Zürich, Boston.
- Since 2014 Medical Director at the Amsee Hospital, Waren an der Müritz.
- Since 2007 Chief Physician of the Department of Pulmonology and Pulmonary Oncology at the Evangelical Lung Hospital Berlin.
- 1999 - 2007 Leading Senior Physician in the Department of Pulmonology and Head of the Research Laboratories, Department of Internal Medicine II, University Hospital Bonn.
- 1992 - 1999 Medical training in Internal Medicine, University of Bonn.
- 1990 - 1992 Postdoctoral Fellow of the German Research Society (Prof. R. S. Williams), UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, USA.
- 1989 - 1990 Internship, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Bonn.
- Publisher of the German Medical Weekly.
- Co-Publisher of "Pulmonology".
- Board Member of the Berlin Cancer Society.
- Board Member of the Thoracic Oncology in the Working Group on Internal Medicine (AIO) of the German Cancer Society.
- Board Member of the Neuroendocrine Tumour Registry.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Pulmonology.
- German Society of Cardiology.
- German Cancer Society.
- European Respiratory Society.
- American Thoracic Society.
- American Heart Association.
- German Society of Internal Medicine.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Evangelischen Lungenklinik Berlin
Department of Pulmonology and Pulmonary Oncology.
Evangelical Lung Hospital Berlin:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.