Alfried Krupp Hospital in Essen-Steele
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Adult and Pediatric Hand Surgery, Reconstructive Burn Surgery (155)
Specialized in: plastic, reconstructive and aesthetics, adult and pediatric hand surgery, reconstructive burn surgery
About the Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Adult and Pediatric Hand Surgery, Reconstructive Burn Surgery at Alfried Krupp Hospital in Essen-Steele
The Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Adult and Pediatric Hand Surgery, Reconstructive Burn Surgery at the Alfried Krupp Hospital in Essen-Steele performs the full range of modern surgical interventions in the fields of its competence. The specialists in reconstructive plastic surgery perform operations to repair external defects of the body parts and their dysfunction caused by previous injuries, congenital malformations and cancers. Aesthetic plastic surgeons also offer their services to patients who want to improve their appearance without any clinical indication for this. In most cases, aesthetic plastic surgery is performed for age-related changes. Such interventions are often carried out for skin lift after rapid weight loss, breast augmentation, nose and ear reshaping, etc. Hand surgery focuses on the interventions for the treatment of hand diseases, injuries and congenital deformities. The department also deals with the treatment of patients with burns up to 20% of their body surface. In addition, it carries out secondary reconstructive surgical procedures after burns and scar revision. The department's medical team makes sure that each patient receives an individual solution to his problem and is as satisfied as possible with the result. The specialists pay attention not only to the quality of the surgical procedure, but also to its thorough planning with a preliminary assessment of the expected final outcome. The Chief Physician of the department is PD Dr. med. Jörg Hauser, who has more than 20 years of successful clinical experience in plastic surgery.
The primary focus of the department's clinical practice is reconstructive plastic surgery. The task of the surgeons of this specialty is to eliminate post-traumatic and postoperative defects in the face and body, as well as repair congenital malformations. A large number of reconstructive surgical procedures are performed for the elimination of soft tissue defects caused by trauma, invasive cancer treatment, etc. The doctors have in their arsenal various reconstructive techniques, ranging from transplantation of autologous soft tissues and skin grafts to plastic surgery with free soft tissue grafts. In addition, the department's reconstructive surgeons have excellent qualifications in extensive reconstructive surgery for injuries complicated by osteomyelitis (bone tissue infection). The department's surgical options are complemented by the reconstruction of nerve endings and blood vessels, as well as limb replantation surgery. The department's reconstructive surgeons show excellent results in breast reconstruction in women after cancer treatment. The reconstruction mostly involves the use of implants or patients' autologous tissues. In some cases, surgeons also resort to free-flap breast reconstruction using microsurgical techniques. Reconstructive breast surgery includes not only the restoration of its shape after cancer, but also the correction of tubular deformity, breast asymmetry and mammary hypoplasia, as well as the treatment of gynecomastia in men.
The specialists in the field of reconstructive burn surgery perform interventions for injuries of varying severity – burns can cover up to 20% of the body surface. In addition, the department's surgeons deal with scar revision after burns.
Another area of the department's competence is aesthetic plastic surgery. The purpose of such operations is to improve facial features and body shapes, as well as to eliminate age-related changes. At the initial consultation, the plastic surgeon attentively listens to the patient's wishes regarding a new appearance, after which he suggests possible options for surgical interventions and talks about their potential risks. The specialists of the medical facility strive to provide patients with the best and the most natural result. The most popular aesthetic surgical procedures are breast augmentation, otoplasty, rhinoplasty, face and neck lift, treatment of wrinkles with Botox and fillers, as well as body lift and skin lift after bariatric surgery.
The department provides medical care for patients with hand diseases and injuries. The therapeutic offer also includes the repair of congenital hand defects in children – polydactyly, syndactyly, camptodactyly and aplasia. Adult patients are provided with high-quality medical services for the treatment of hand injuries of any severity, including replantation surgery, hand arthritis, tennis elbow and golfer's elbow, paralysis and other hand dysfunctions, nerve ending compression syndromes, benign neoplasms and other pathological conditions. The department's operating rooms are equipped with state-of-the-art devices for performing microsurgical procedures with pinpoint accuracy, so patients can be sure of an excellent result.
The department's range of surgical services includes:
- Reconstructive plastic surgery
- Skin and soft tissue surgery
- Removal of skin malignancies (basal cell carcinoma, melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma of the skin)
- Removal of benign skin neoplasms (nevi, birthmarks, vascular malformations)
- Scar revision using expanders
- Treatment of hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) with Botox injections or removal of the sweat glands in the armpit
- Amputation surgery
- Amputation stump lengthening
- Revision and reconstructive stump surgery
- Replacement plastic surgery with function preservation
- Replacement plastic surgery with tendon transfer
- Replacement plastic surgery for facial paralysis
- Muscle transplantation
- Reconstructive nerve ending surgery
- Nerve transplantation
- Tumor surgery
- Surgery for sarcomas and other limb tumors, including metastases
- Palliative cancer surgery
- Reconstructive plastic surgery of the head and neck after tumor removal
- Resection of benign tendon and ligament tumors
- Skin and soft tissue reconstruction after tumor removal
- Reconstructive plastic surgery of the face, head and neck
- Removal of hemangiomas
- Removal of nevi and basaliomas
- Correction of eyelid dysfunction, malformations of the ears, nose and lips
- Treatment of recent facial injuries
- Scar revision
- Reconstructive interventions for facial nerve paralysis (for example, with muscle transposition or nerve transplantation)
- Reconstructive breast and thoracic surgery
- Correction of mammary hypoplasia
- Correction of tubular breasts
- Correction of gynecomastia in men
- Correction of breast asymmetry
- Reconstructive plastic surgery for chronic non-healing wounds
- Skin and soft tissue surgery
- Reconstructive burn surgery
- Treatment of burn injuries, including severe ones
- Secondary reconstructive surgery after burns
- Reconstructive interventions for scar revision after burns
- Aesthetic plastic surgery
- Facial surgery
- Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty)
- Correction of droopy eyelids and bags under the eyes
- Ear reshaping (otoplasty)
- Nose reshaping (rhinoplasty)
- Lip plastic surgery (cheiloplasty), including non-surgical lip augmentation with hyaluronic acid injections
- Face and neck lift
- Treatment of wrinkles with botox and filler injections
- Body surgery
- Body contouring
- Breast plastic surgery
- Breast augmentation
- Breast reduction
- Breast lift
- Facial surgery
- Hand surgery in adults and children
- Treatment of hand injuries in adults and children, including severe ones, up to replantation
- Emergency treatment of bacterial infections: panaritium, phlegmon and empyema
- Correction of congenital finger anomalies in children: syndactyly, polydactyly, camptodactyly, aplasia
- Treatment of finger joint and wrist arthrosis
- Treatment of tennis and golfer's elbow
- Arthroscopic interventions on the hand joints
- Treatment of rheumatic hand lesions
- Treatment of hand contractures and spasticity
- Reconstruction of nerve endings, tendons and blood vessels after accidents or tumor removal
- Treatment of nerve ending compression syndromes: carpal tunnel syndrome, pronator teres syndrome, Guyon's canal syndrome, ulnar tunnel syndrome, etc.
- Hand finger and wrist denervation for chronic pain syndromes
- Removal of benign hand neoplasms (for example, ganglion)
- Treatment of trigger fingers and Dupuytren's contracture
- Reconstruction of chronic and post-traumatic hand soft tissue defects
- Treatment of Zudeck's syndrome
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of PD Dr. med. Jörg Hauser
Higher Education and Professional Career
- Since 11.2012 Head of the Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Adult and Pediatric Hand Surgery, Reconstructive Burn Surgery at the Alfried Krupp Hospital in Essen-Steele.
- Since 05.2012 Managing Senior Physician, Department of Plastic Surgery, Severe Burns and Hand Surgery at the University Hospital Bergmannsheil Bochum.
- 10.2011 Additional specialization in Hand Surgery.
- 12.2010 Habilitation and Venia legendi in Plastic Surgery, Ruhr University Bochum.
- Since 01.2010 Senior Physician, Department of Plastic Surgery, Severe Burns and Hand Surgery at the University Hospital Bergmannsheil Bochum.
- 04.2007 Board certification in Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery.
- 07.2005 - 12.2009 Assistant Physician, Department of Plastic Surgery, Severe Burns and Hand Surgery at the University Hospital Bergmannsheil Bochum.
- 05.2003 - 06.2005 Assistant Physician, Department of Surgery at the University Hospital Bergmannsheil Bochum.
- 01.2003 - 05.2003 Assistant Physician, Department of Surgery, Evangelical Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 01.2003 Doctoral thesis defense with honors, Department of Plastic Surgery, Severe Burns and Hand Surgery at the University Hospital Bergmannsheil Bochum, Ruhr University Bochum.
- 06.2002 - 01.2003 Assistant Physician, Department of Plastic Surgery, Severe Burns and Hand Surgery at the University Hospital Bergmannsheil Bochum.
- 12.2000 - 05.2002 Internship.
- 1993 - 2000 Study of Human Medicine at the Ruhr University Bochum.
- 02 - 04.2006 Research Internship at the National Center of Microscopy and Imaging Research (NCMIR), University of California, San Diego, USA.
- 03 - 05.2005 Research Internship at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), University of California San Diego, USA.
- Breast plastic surgery.
- Face and neck lift.
- Hand surgery.
Awards, Prizes and Honors
- 2012 Poster Award, 15th Annual Congress of the German Society for Wound Healing and Wound Treatment (DGfW), Kassel.
- 2010 Poster Award, 41st Annual Meeting of the German Society of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (DGPRÄC), Dresden.
- 2010 Poster Award, 23rd SIS-Europe Congress on Surgical Infectious Diseases and 8th World Congress on Traumatic Injuries, Inflammatory Diseases and Sepsis, Munich.
- 2009 Poster Award, 12th Annual Meeting of the German Society for Wound Healing and Wound Treatment (DGfW), Kassel.
- 2007 Clinical Research Award by the Board of the Faculty of Medicine of the Ruhr University Bochum.
- 2005 Osteoporosis Research Grant.
- 2002 Poster Award, 33rd Annual Meeting of the Professional Society of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (VDPC) and 7th Annual Meeting of the German Society of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (DGPRÄC), Heidelberg.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Surgery (DGCH).
- Plastic Surgery Research Council (PSRC).
- German Society of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (DGPRÄC).
- German Society for Biomedical Engineering (DGBMT).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Alfried Krupp Krankenhaus
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Adult and Pediatric Hand Surgery, Reconstructive Burn Surgery.
Alfried Krupp Hospital in Essen-Steele:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.