Asan Medical Center Seoul
Department of Breast surgery (Breast Cancer) (396618)
Specialized in: breast surgery
The Department of Breast Surgery at the Asan Medical Center in Seoul offers operative treatment of breast diseases and specializes in breast conserving surgeries. Currently, it conducts more than 2,000 surgeries a year and in about 70% of cases patients are able to preserve their breast. In addition, the department also offers breast reconstructions after mastectomy. The department is headed by Dr. Sei-hyun Ahn.
After tumor removal, radiotherapy utilizing various advanced radiotherapy techniques is applied to the remaining breast tissue and/or surrounding lymph nodes, bringing about substantial cosmetic effects and minimal side effects.
- Breast conserving surgery
- After breast conserving surgery
- Radiotherapy after mastectomy
- Endocrine therapy
- Targeted therapy
Since its establishment, the AMC Breast Cancer Center has shown excellent treatment results in breast cancer patients. For instance, from 2003 to 2008, the five-year survival rate was 91.9%. Thus, the department belongs to the leading international facilities with the highest success rates.
Advantages of the department of Mammology:
- The largest number of breast cancer surgeries performed in Korea
- 20,000 breast cancer surgeries performed in 2013 for the first time in Korea
- 3,000 breast reconstructions performed in 2014 for the first time in Korea
- 2,500 breast cancer surgeries performed a year on average
- The largest number of breast cancer surgery and immediate reconstruction performed in Korea
- Survival rate of 94-97% in breast cancer patients with stage 1 and 2; Survival rate of more than 80% in breast cancer patient with stage 3
- Seoul, South Korea