Asan Medical Center Seoul
Department of Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery (397878)
Specialized in: hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgery
About the department
The Department of Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery at the Asan Medical Center performs surgical treatment of benign and malignant tumors of liver, biliary tract, bladder, pancreas and transplantations. The department also specializes in pancreatoduodenectomy, treatment of hilar choangiocellular carcinoma, laparoscopic cholecystectomy. The specialists of the department have unrivaled medical skills and experience in pancreas transplantation as well as in transplantation of pancreatic islet cells. The department is headed by Dr. Song-cheol Kim.
The department specializes in treatment of liver cancer. All modern treatment methods are available including hepatic resection, liver transplantation, radiofrequency ablation (RFA), percutaneous ethanol injection therapy (PEIT), transcatheter arterial chemoembolization (TACE), targeted therapy, chemotherapy and radiotherapy. A treatment option is determined by collectively considering the location and size of the tumor, the stage, and the severity of the cirrhosis.
- Hepatic resection
- Radiofrequency ablation (RFA)
- Percutaneous ethanol injection therapy (PEIT)
- Transcatheter arterial chemoembolization (TACE)
- Hepatic arterial infusional chemotherapy (HAIC)
- Transarterial radioembolization (TARE)
- Chemotherapy/targeted therapy
- External beam radiotherapy
- Liver transplantation
Another area of specialization is treatment of biliary tract and pancreatic cancer, which is provided by the Biliary Tract and Pancreatic Cancer Center. Here, physicians of related specialties share opinions and closely cooperate to produce the best treatment plans based on their clinical experiences and expertise. The department has around 2,000 first-visit patients with biliary tract and pancreatic cancers and performs more than 800 surgeries for the cancers a year.
Treatment options of the Biliary Tract & Pancreatic Cancer:
- Endoscopic procedures
- ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography)
- EUS (Endoscopic Ultrasonography)
- PTCS (Percutaneous Transhepatic Choledochoscopy)
- EUS intervention (in treatment of complications)
- Chemotherapy (Department of Oncology)
- Radiation therapy (Department of Radiation Oncology)
- And other diagnostic and therapeutic options
- Master of Medicine, Seoul National University.
- Doctor of Medicine, Seoul National University.
- Bachelor of Medicine, Seoul National University.
Major Professional Experiences
- Training on 1st workshop for Human pancreas islet isolation and transplantation techniques, University of Miami, USA.
- Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor, UUCM AMC.
- Fellowship in UUCM AMC.
- Residency in Seoul National University Hospital, Korea.
- Internship in Seoul National University Hospital, Korea.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Asan Medical Center
Department of Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery.
Asan Medical Center Seoul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.