Asan Medical Center Seoul
Department of Neurosurgery (403234)
Specialized in: neurosurgery
The Department of Neurosurgery at the Asan Medical Center offers the full range of diagnosis and surgery of the brain and spinal nerves. The department specializes in treatment of all kinds of tumors that develop within the brain tissue or other soft tissue inside the cranium as well brain metastases of other tumors. The department also offers diagnosis and treatment of patients with pituitary disorders and cooperates with the Scoliosis Center. The department is head by Dr. Do-hoon Kwon.
The department has one of the largest brain tumor-specialized centers in Asia. Annually, the Brain Tumor Center treats around 1,200 patients with all kinds of brain tumors. It provides a broad range of treatment options including all aspects of therapeutic modalities such as skull base surgery, endoscopic operation, neuro-oncologic clinical trials, stereotactic radiosurgery, and neuroendocrine treatment.
The primary treatment option for many brain tumors such as meningiomas, schwannomas and pituitary adenomas is surgery. To maximize safety in brain tumor surgery, various advanced technologies are applied in both preoperative and intraoperative stages such as functional MRI, neurophysiologic monitoring, neuronavigation and intraoperative ultrasound and CT. In the postoperative treatment, such options as chemotherapy, radiotherapy including stereotactic radiosurgery, targeted therapy and new biologic therapies are available.
The department is equipped with the cutting-edge radiosurgery systems, Gamma Knife Icon, and CyberKnife Version 9.5.
Main focuses of the department include:
- Diagnosis and treatment of brain tumors
- Treatment of benign tumors such as meningiomas, schwannomas, pituitary adenomas, etc.
- Treatment of malignant tumors such as high-grade gliomas, medulloblastomas, etc.
- Diagnosis and treatment of patients with pituitary disorders
- Diagnosis and treatment of patients with of all types of infantile and adolescent scoliosis (idiopathic, congenital and neuromuscular) as well as other pediatric spinal disorders
- Diagnosis and treatment of other diseases
- Seoul, South Korea