Asan Medical Center Seoul
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery (403261)
Specialized in: thoracic and cardiovascular surgery
About the department
The Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery at the Asan Medical Center encompasses surgical treatment of various diseases of the thoracic organs encompassing the lungs, esophagus, chest wall and mediastinum as well as surgeries of the heart and great vessels. The department uses minimally invasive surgical techniques, which significantly reduce postoperative pain and surgical risks compared to conventional open chest surgeries. As a result, patients benefit by experiencing faster recovery, shortened length of hospitalization and a reduction in costs. Chief physician is Dr. Dong-kwan Kim.
In the field of cardiovascular medicine, the department belongs to the world’s leading centers performing minimally invasive and robot assisted surgeries with the aid of the Da Vinci and other systems. In close collaboration with related services specialists of the department are also working to provide all aspects of opened, hybrid procedures and completely percutaneous techniques (stenting) for treating aortic diseases. Over 90% of coronary bypasses are performed off-pump.
Thoracic surgery encompasses various specialties. Specifically, pulmonary surgery deals with lung cancers, benign lung tumors, tuberculosis, pulmonary abscess, pneumothorax and other disease entities of the thorax. Bronchial surgery deals with bronchial tumors, bronchial foreign bodies and bronchostenosis (airway obstruction). Other surgical entities of the thorax include mediastinal tumors, chest wall tumors, chest wall deformities (pectus carinatum and pectus excavatum) and excessive sweating (hyperhydrosis). The department is also proud to announce that now all aspects of lung transplantation can be performed here.
The range of services of the department includes:
- Pulmonary surgery (lung cancers, benign lung tumors, tuberculosis, pulmonary abscess, pneumothorax, etc.)
- Bronchial surgery (bronchial tumors, bronchial foreign bodies, bronchostenosis, etc.)
- Esophageal surgery (esophageal cancer, benign tumors, esophageal stenosis of various causes, etc.)
- Minimally invasive and robot assisted cardiovascular surgery
- Complex conventional surgeries for heart failure (Dor procedure, ischemic mitral valve disease, heart transplantation, etc.)
- Valve surgeries i.e., repair and replacements
- Various arrhythmia surgeries (i.e., Maze procedures)
- And other options
- Doctor of Medicine, Yonsei University.
- Master of Medicine, Yonsei University.
- Bachelor of Medicine, Yonsei University.
Major Professional Experiences
- Associate Professor in UUCM AMC.
- Professor in UUCM AMC.
- Postdoctoral at University of Pennsylvania Hospital.
- Assistant Professor in UUCM AMC.
- Clinical Instructor in UUCM AMC.
- Fellowship in UUCM AMC.
- Residency in Severance Hospital.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Asan Medical Center
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
Asan Medical Center Seoul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.