Asan Medical Center Seoul
Department of Reproductive Medicine (603661)
Specialized in: reproductive medicine
About the department
The Department of Reproductive Medicine at the Asan Medical Center Seoul offers the full range of first-class diagnostic and therapeutic services to identify the causes and treat infertility. One of the most effective and successful procedures for conceiving a desired pregnancy is in vitro fertilization. The reproductologists of the department annually carry out about 600 such procedures, while the success rate of the procedure reaches 50%. Given that the average age of patients suffering from infertility is 38 years, this is an excellent result. The experienced specialists of the department have at their disposal all the necessary technical resources, as well as have a perfect command of modern assisted reproductive technology, thanks to which they give women the joy of long-awaited motherhood. The department is headed by Dr. med. Kim Sung-Hoon.
The specialists in the field of reproductive medicine diagnose infertility if a couple fails to become pregnant during the year of regular sexual activity without the use of contraceptives. In women, infertility can be caused by the impaired patency of the fallopian tubes, uterine and cervical pathologies, as well as impaired ovulation. In men, infertility can be caused by azoospermia or oligoasthenozoospermia. In some cases, infertility can develop due to a combination of several causes, while, in rare cases, the cause of infertility cannot be determined.
The department includes highly modern laboratories, which serve for the comprehensive diagnostics to determine the causes of infertility. Depending on the specific clinical situation, such diagnostics can include basic clinical testing, sperm testing, hormonal testing, diagnostic tests to assess the structure of the uterus and endometrium, as well as folliculometry and ovulation tracking. In addition, sufficient time is allocated for individual consultations on various issues.
After identifying the causes of the impossibility of conceiving a child, the doctors develop an individual treatment regimen that takes into account all the clinical indications of a particular couple and is designed for rapid conception of pregnancy and its successful bearing.
The therapeutic options of the department include:
- Intrauterine insemination with partner or donor sperm (a procedure in which a man’s sperm is artificially inserted into a woman’s uterus during ovulation to increase the chance of fertilization)
- In vitro fertilization (the procedure, which involves the extraction of eggs, after which they will be fertilized by sperm in vitro), while the developing embryos will then be transferred to the uterine cavity through the cervix or surgically; this option is most effective for tubal factor infertility, tubal-peritoneal infertility and male infertility)
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) – a procedure, which involves the introduction of a good quality sperm into the oocyte using micromanipulation
- Embryo cryopreservation
- Embryo vitrification
- Assisted hatching (an assisted procedure that facilitates embryo implantation in the uterine endothelium)
- Preimplantation genetic diagnosis and screening (diagnosis of genetic diseases in an embryo before implantation in the uterine mucosa, i.e. before pregnancy)
- Interventional treatment of benign gynecologic neoplasms
- Aspiration with ethanol sclerotherapy for endometrioma (AEST)
- Hydrosalpinx aspiration and tubal occlusion with fibrin sealant (HATOFS)
- Radiofrequency myolysis and radiofrequency endometrial ablation
- Other assisted reproductive technologies
- Doctorate, Seoul National University.
- Master of Medicine, Seoul National University.
- Bachelor of Medicine, Seoul National University.
- Professor in Gynecology and Obstetrics, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center Seoul.
- Visiting Scholar at Yale University.
- Clinical Instructor, Associate Professor of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center Seoul.
- Fellowship in Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center Seoul.
- Residency in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea.
- Internship at Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Asan Medical Center
Department of Reproductive Medicine.
Asan Medical Center Seoul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.