Asklepios Childrens Hospital Sankt Augustin
Department of General Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine (303068)
Specialized in: pediatric, adolescent medicine
About the department
The Department of General Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the Asklepios Children's Hospital Sankt Augustin offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services in its area of specialization. It treats both severe acute diseases and chronic pathologies of the pediatric sphere. To provide comprehensive medical care, the department includes various outpatient clinics, an interdisciplinary emergency care service, and a Social Pediatric Center. The young patients receive medical care from the competent physicians with extensive and successful clinical experience. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Gerd Horneff.
One of the priority focuses of the department is pediatric oncology and hematology. The doctors of these areas deal with the diagnostics and treatment of malignant, congenital and acquired blood diseases, as well as solid tumors. The most common pathologies in hematology include various forms of anemia (for example, sickle cell anemia, Fanconi anemia, iron deficiency anemia), thrombocytopenia, leukemias and malignant lymphomas. In the context of oncology, the department's specialists mostly have to deal with brain tumors. The malignancies in children differ significantly from those in adults. Children usually develop embryonic tumors that are not affected by environmental factors. Carcinomas in children are extremely rare.
All diagnostic and therapeutic services of the department comply with the treatment protocols of the Society of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology (GPOH). The first stage of the therapeutic process is the comprehensive diagnostics, which allows to establish an accurate diagnosis and determine the most effective treatment tactics. In the treatment of oncopathologies, due attention is paid to interdisciplinary cooperation with doctors from the related fields. The treatment can be provided not only inpatiently, but also on an outpatient basis, as well as in a day hospital. Psychologists and social workers work with children and their parents. Once therapy is completed, the child should be monitored to prevent relapse, as well as to assess the growth and development of the child.
The scope of competence of the department’s specialists also includes the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the bronchi and lungs, including bronchial asthma, which is the most common chronic disease in children. To identify a respiratory disease and make an accurate diagnosis, the doctors have in their arsenal all the modern and most effective studies. The diagnostic options include pulmonary function testing (spirometry, bodyplethysmography) at rest and under load (treadmill, provocation with methacholine, use of bronchodilators), imaging techniques (for example, radiography, CT scan), bronchoscopy, allergic tests, etc.
In addition, the department has a professional team of endocrinologists who specialize in the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the endocrine glands, growth and puberty disorders in children. All these pathologies can be congenital or acquired in their nature. The spectrum of the most frequent endocrine disorders in children includes hypothyroidism, hyperteriosis and autoimmune thyroid diseases (Graves' disease, Hashimoto's thyroiditis), growth disorders (short stature, gigantism), premature puberty and its delay, hypogonadism, dysfunction of the adrenal cortex. To detect endocrine disorders, the doctors use such diagnostic tests as anamnesis study, general physical examination, laboratory tests, diagnostic imaging (ultrasound, x-ray), functional hormonal tests, etc.
The department's spectrum of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic diseases
- Still's disease
- Oligoarticular juvenile arthritis (type I oligoarthritis)
- Enthesitis-related arthritis (type II oligoarthritis)
- Seronegative polyarthritis (normal rheumatoid factor levels)
- Seropositive polyarthritis (elevated rheumatoid factor levels)
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital, acquired immunodeficiencies
- Diagnostics and treatment of pulmonary and bronchial diseases(focus on the treatment of bronchial asthma)
- Diagnosis and treatment of hematological diseases
- All forms of anemia
- Congenital thrombocytopenia
- Malignant lymphomas
- Diagnostics and treatment of cancers (focus on brain tumor treatment)
- Diagnostics and treatment of obesity
- Diagnostics and treatment of diabetes mellitus
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuromuscular diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of infectious diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergic diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of endocrine diseases
- Autoimmune thyroid diseases (Graves' disease, Hashimoto's thyroiditis)
- Growth disorders (short stature, gigantism)
- Premature puberty
- Delayed puberty
- Breast enlargement in boys (gynecomastia)
- Adrenal cortex dysfunction
- Diagnostics and treatment of cystic fibrosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases in children and adolescents
- 1981 - 1987 Medical studies at the University of Cologne.
- 09.12.1987 Admission to practice medicine.
- 01.1984 - 12.1987 Scholarship granted by Maria Pesch Foundation, Cologne.
- 26.03.1989 Dissertation, Institute of Pharmacology at the University of Cologne. Subject: "Influence of pretreatment with nifedipine on experimental ischemia in the rabbit heart".
- 01.06.1988 - 30.11.88 Assistant Physician at the Children's Hospital in Cologne.
- 01.01.1989 - 31.12.1991 Scholarship from the German Research Foundation with research stay at the Institute and Department of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine III, University of Erlangen.
- 01.01.1991 - 31.07.1998 Fellow at the Centre for Pediatrics, University of Duesseldorf.
- 25.04.1996 Board certification in Pediatrics.
- 12.1996 Appointment as Chief Physician at the University Hospital.
- 12.06.1997 Habilitation and Venia legendi in Pediatrics by the Medical Faculty of the Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf.
- 07.04.1998 Additional qualification in Allergology.
- 01.08.1998 - 01.07.2005 Senior Physician of the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University Hospital Halle (Saale).
- 08.11.2001 Deputy Head of the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- 01.11.2004 Acting Head of the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- Since 01.07.2005 Chief Physician of the Department of General Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the Asklepios Children's Hospital Sankt Augustin.
- 01.02.2006 Additional qualification in Pediatric Rheumatology and appointment as Specialist Auditor of the Medical Association of North Rhine.
Scientific Awards and Grants
- Research Grant from the German Research Foundation (Ho1143/1-1 and Ho1143/1-2) and research promotion from the Federal Ministry for Research and Technology (BMFT): Multicentre clinical and theoretical research project "Pathomechanisms of immune and autoimmune diseases and the effects of endogenous immunomodulatory substances (FKZ 01 TO 8607/)".
- Award of Therapy Week 1991 together with Prof. Dr. med. G.R. Burmester and Prof. Dr. med. F. Emmrich. Subject: "Therapy of chronic polyarthritis with monoclonal antibodies against T-helper cells".
- Research promotion by industry: "Quality assurance in endocrine care of children and adolescents with chronic inflammatory and rheumatic diseases".
- Research promotion by industry: "Registry for long-term documentation of the use of Etanercept in childhood and adolescence".
Memberships in Scientific Associations
- German Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine (DGKJ).
- Board Member, Saxon Thuringian Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- Founding Member, Working Group on Pediatric and Adolescent Rheumatology (AGKJR).
- Since 15.11.2003 Deputy Chairman of the Working Group on Pediatric and Adolescent Rheumatology (AGKJR).
- Committee for Drugs and Medication of the Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Rheumatology.
- Founding Member, European Society of Pediatric Rheumatology.
- Working Group on Pediatric Immunology.
- German Society of Rheumatology.
- Commission for Training Students of the German Society of Rheumatology.
- President, Working Group on Patient Education in Rheumatology of the German Initiative for the Rheumatic Children.
- First Chairman of the Centre for Rheumatology Aachen-Cologne-Bonn.
Reviewer and/or Editorial Board Member of the Journals
- Advisory Board Member of the Journal for Rheumatology.
- Advisory Board Member of the journal Rheumatology International.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Asklepios Klinik Sankt Augustin GmbH
Department of General Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
Asklepios Childrens Hospital Sankt Augustin:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.