Asklepios Childrens Hospital in Sankt Augustin
Department of General Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine (303068)
Specialized in: pediatrics, adolescent medicine
About the department
The Department of General Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine at the Asklepios Children’s Hospital in Sankt Augustin, headed by Prof. Dr. Gerd Horneff, takes care of children of all ages with acute and chronic diseases. To this end, the Department has at its disposal apart from specialized divisions also authorization ambulances, interdisciplinary consultation hours, as well as an adjoining Social-Pediatric Center.
The Asklepios Children’s Hospital in Sankt Augustin offers you a competent aid in almost all acute and chronic diseases in children of all ages from the neonatal period to adolescence. Medical focuses of the Department under the direction of Prof. Dr. Gerd Horneff are bronchial and lung diseases, diseases of the nerves and muscles, diseases of blood and leukemia, etc.
A special focus of the Department is given to oncology. The Asklepios Children’s Hospital in Sankt Augustin offers diagnosis and treatment for children with hematological and oncological diseases. The therapy is carried out in accordance with guidelines and protocols of the “Society for Pediatric Oncology and Hematology” (GPOH).
First, required diagnostic procedures are performed to confirm the suspected diagnosis – tumor or cancerous disease. In case the diagnosis of a tumor disease or leukemia is confirmed, children often need to take combinations of medications, which must be administered as intravenous injections. To facilitate this therapy, central venous catheters (port or Broviac) can be implanted for a short period of time.
The goal of the Asklepios Children’s Hospital in Sankt Augustin is to treat children on an inpatient basis only as long as absolutely necessary. Many therapy elements can be carried out on an outpatient or day clinic basis. As for parents, they can normally stay at the hospital and receive instructions about the peculiarities regarding care and hygiene of their child.
Main areas of treatment of the Department of General Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine:
- Rheumatic diseases
- Allergies / Neurodermatitis
- Primary (congenital) or secondary (acquired) immunodeficiencies
- Endocrinological diseases and growth disorders
- Bronchus and lung diseases / asthma
- The disease of the nerves and muscles / spasms
- Diseases of the blood / leukemia
- Infectious diseases
- 1981 – 1987 Medical studies at the University of Cologne
- 09.12.1987 License to practice medicine
- 1/1984 – 12/1987 Scholarship granted by Maria-Pesch-Stiftung, Cologne
- 26.03.1989 Dissertation, Institute of Pharmacology at the University of Cologne, Prof. Dr. W. Klaus (Subject: "Influence of pretreatment with nifedipine on experimental ischemia in the rabbit heart")
- 01.06.1988 – 30.11.88 Assistant doctor at Children's Hospital of Cologne, Head: Prof. Dr. F. Bläker
- 01.01.1989 – 31.12.1991 Scholarship from the German Research Foundation with research stay at the Institute and Department of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, Medical Clinic III, University of Erlangen, Director: Prof. Dr. J. R. Kalden
- 01.01.1991 – 31.07.1998 Research associate at the Centre for Paediatrics, University of Düsseldorf, Director: Prof. Dr. H. G. Lenard
- 25.04.1996 Board certification, paediatrician
- 12.1996 Appointment as chief physician at the University Clinic
- 12.06.1997 Habilitation and granting of the Venia legendi in the field of paediatrics by the Medical Faculty of the Heinrich-Heine-University
- 07.04.1998 Recognition of the additional qualification Allergology
- 01.08.1998 – 01.07.2005 Senior Physician at the University Clinic for Child and Adolescent Medicine of the Martin-Luther-University, Halle-Wittenberg, Director: Prof. Dr. Burdach
- 08.11.2001 Deputy Hospital Director of the University Clinic for Child and Adolescent Medicine
- 01.11.2004 Acting Director of the University Hospital Department of Child and Adolescent Medicine
- Since 01.07.2005 Director and Head Physician of the Medical Centre of General Paediatrics and Neonatology at Asklepios Clinic Sankt Augustin
- 01.02.2006 Additional qualification as children's rheumatologist and appointment as specialist auditor of the General Medical Council North Rhine
Scientific Awards and Grants
- Research grant from the German Research Foundation (Ho1143/1-1 and Ho1143/1-2) and research promotion from the BMFT: Multicentre clinical and theoretical research project "Pathomechanisms of immune and autoimmune diseases and the effects of endogenous immunomodulatory substances." (FKZ 01 TO 8607 /)
- Award of Therapy Week 1991 together with Prof. Dr. GR Burmester and Prof. Dr. F. Emmrich. Topic: "Therapy of chronic polyarthritis with monoclonal antibodies against T-helper cells."
- Research promotion by industry: Quality assurance in endocrine care of children and adolescents with chronic inflammatory/rheumatic diseases.
- Research promotion by industry: Registry for long-term documentation of the use of Etanercept in childhood and adolescence (ongoing)
Memberships in scientific associations
- German Society of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine (DGKJ)
- Saxon Thuringian Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine (Co-opted Board Member)
- Working Group Child and Adolescent Rheumatology (Founding Member)
- Deputy Chairman of the AGKJR since 15.11.2003
- Acting Chairman from 1.9.2006
- First Chairman since 20.09.2009
- Committee for drugs and medication of the Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Rheumatology
- Paediatric Rheumatology European Society (Founding Member)
- Working Group Paediatric Immunology
- German Society for Rheumatology
- Commission for training students of the German Society for Rheumatology
- Working Group Patient Education in the rheumatology of the German Initiative for the rheumatic child (president)
- First Chairman of the Centre for Rheumatology Aachen-Cologne-Bonn
Reviewer and/or Editorial Board Member of the Journals
- Advisory Board Member of the “Journal for Rheumatology”
- Advisory Board Member of the journal “Rheumatology International”
Department of General Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.
Asklepios Childrens Hospital in Sankt Augustin:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home