Asklepios Childrens Hospital Sankt Augustin
Department of Pediatric Cardiology (303071)
Specialized in: pediatric cardiology
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Cardiology at the Asklepios Children's Hospital Sankt Augustin offers the effective diagnostics and treatment of congenital and acquired heart defects in children of all age groups. The experienced team of doctors and nursing staff takes care of the health of patients. The medical team can provide the successful treatment of both common and rare heart diseases. The medical institution enjoys an excellent reputation in the area of its specialization in the European medical arena, therefore every year more and more parents trust the health of their children to the cardiologists of the department. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Martin Schneider.
The primary task of the department's cardiologists is the treatment of young children, adolescents and adults with congenital heart defects. The key to the successful treatment of such pathologies is the accurate diagnostics using state-of-the-art equipment. This includes the systems for electrocardiography, echocardiography, spiroergometry, magnetic resonance imaging, as well as devices for catheter diagnostics. The complicated clinical cases are examined at interdisciplinary boards with the participation of pediatric cardiologists, cardiac surgeons and intensive care specialists. Based on the results of examinations and a joint expert review of the clinical case, the doctors develop the optimal treatment tactics in accordance with the individual needs of the child.
The department has special experience in the field of interventional catheter therapy. It performs more than 750 coronarographies annually, mainly in infants and children. The most common interventions include the closure of septal defects using occluders or balloon dilatation, installation of stents, prosthetic valves, direct administration of medications for pulmonary hypertension, etc.
The department also offers the treatment of heart arrhythmias with pacemakers and the follow-up care of young patients after such therapy. Currently, about 300 children and adolescents with a pacemaker or defibrillator are monitored in the department. The department offers a special consultation for these patients. The specialists of the department work with devices of almost all manufacturers of pacemakers and, if necessary, adjust them in accordance with the needs of patients.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital heart defects in children, monitoring of adults with congenital heart defects
- Diagnostics and treatment of acquired heart disease in children and adolescents
- Chest pain and heart murmur
- High blood pressure
- Acute rheumatic fever
- Kawasaki disease
- Interventional catheter-assisted therapy
- Closure of septal defects using special occluders
- Stenting and balloon dilatation
- Stent implantation
- Heart valve prosthetics
- Electrophysiological diagnostics for the treatment of heart arrhythmias
- Diagnostics and treatment of arterial hypertension in children
- Postoperative care for children with heart diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of heart rhythm disturbances
- Pacemaker implantation
- Defibrillator implantation
- Monitoring of young children after pacemaker, defibrillator implantation
- Other medical services
- 1989 Intern, Cardiothoracic Surgery
- 1990 - 1993 Assistant Physician.
- 1994 Senior Physician and Head of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory.
- 1997 Head and Clinical Senior Physician of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory at the Department of Pediatrics with a focus on Cardiology.
- 1997 Senior Lecturer in Pediatric Cardiology.
- 2003 Chief Physician.
Membership in Medical Professional Societies
- Member of the Association for European Pediatric Cardiology.
- Member of the Association for British Pediatric Cardiology.
- Member of the International Society of Invasive Cardiology in Congenital Heart Diseases.
- Member of the German Society of Pediatric Cardiology.
Scientific Awards and Honors
- 2004 Estonian State Award (Red Cross Third Class).
- 2007 Honorary Professorship.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Asklepios Klinik Sankt Augustin GmbH
Department of Pediatric Cardiology.
Asklepios Childrens Hospital Sankt Augustin:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.