Asklepios Childrens Hospital Sankt Augustin
Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery (303072)
Specialized in: pediatric neurosurgery
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery at the Asklepios Children's Hospital Sankt Augustin offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for children with diseases of the brain and spinal cord, as well as their meninges and peripheral nerves. The doctors of the department have the highest competence and vast experience in their area of specialization. In clinical practice, an important role is given to the correction of congenital skull and spinal deformities. The young patients are treated in ultramodern operating rooms using advanced neurosurgical instruments. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Martina Messing-Jünger.
The neurosurgeons of the department have a perfect command of all modern techniques for the treatment of skull, brain, spinal and spinal cord malformations. Children can often have not single malformations, but a combination of several pathologies. Nevertheless, the department's specialists successfully cope with such clinical cases.
Another important focus of the department's work is brain tumor treatment. With a few exceptions (in the presence of diffuse growth in the eloquent brain regions), brain tumors in childhood and adolescence can be treated surgically. An exception are germ cell tumors, which have a good chance of cure without surgery.
In addition to surgical treatment, the department uses radiation therapy, chemotherapy, as well as innovative therapeutic approaches. The latter include the treatment with antibodies against certain cells and growth factors that inhibit angiogenesis (the formation of new tumor blood vessels) and tumor metastasis.
The department's spectrum of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of skull, brain, spinal and spinal cord malformations
- Skull malformations (craniosynostosis)
- Cloverleaf skull
- Brain malformations
- Malformations due to hydrocephalus (for example, Dandy-Walker syndrome)
- Arachnoid cyst
- Chiari malformation
- Spinal and spinal cord malformations
- Spine of sphenoid bone
- Vertebral fusion (for example, Klippel Feil syndrome)
- Spina bifida aperta
- Spina bifida occulta
- Myelomeningocele (anterior and posterior)
- Dermal sinus
- Epidermoid tumors
- Caudal regression syndrome
- Craniocervical junction abnormalities
- Skull malformations (craniosynostosis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of brain tumors
- Medulloblastomas and primitive neuroectodermal tumors of the central nervous system
- Pilocytic astrocytoma
- Brain stem tumors
- Malignant astrocytomas and glioblastomas
- Dysontogenetic tumors
- Germ cell tumors
- Brain metastasis
- Diagnostics and treatment of various forms of hydrocephalus
- Electrophysiological testing
- Registration of sensory evoked potentials
- Registration of visual evoked potentials
- Intraoperative monitoring
- Other medical services
- 1987 Medical studies at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Duesseldorf.
- 1987 - 1994 Postdoctoral neurosurgical training at the University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- Since 1994 Specialization in Pediatric Neurosurgery and establishment of the Section of Pediatric Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Duesseldorf; Medical Consultant in General Neurosurgery, (main focuses: microsurgery, neurovascular surgery, neuroendoscopy).
- Since 2007 Head of Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery at the Asklepios Children's Hospital Sankt Augustin (teaching base of the Semmelweis University, Campus Hamburg) and Director of the Surgical Center (ZeKON).
- 1988 - 1995 Coordinator of the regional research project on lumbar disc herniations.
- 2000 - 2006 Leader of the Research and Working Group on Clinical and Scientific Fields of Pediatric Neurosurgery, Hydrocephalus and Pathologies of CSF Spaces (major scientific interests: Dysraphic Disorders, Gravitational Valves and Neuroendoscopy).
- Since 2007 Scientific projects on craniosynostosis, hydrocephalus, occult and open spinal dysraphism, CVJ pathologies.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Executive Board Member of German Society of Neurosurgery (DGNC).
- German Academy of Neurosurgery (GANS).
- German Professional Association of Neurosurgeons (BDNC).
- 2016 - 2018 President, European Society of Pediatric Neurosurgery (ESPN).
- International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery (ISPN).
- Until 2013 Examination Committee of the European Association of Neurosurgical Societies (EANS).
- Scientific Board of the German Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus Society (AsbH).
- Scientific Board of the German Syringomyelia and Chiari Society (DSCM).
- German Pediatric Neurosurgery Course (Section of Pediatric Neurosurgery of the German Society of Neurosurgery).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Asklepios Klinik Sankt Augustin GmbH
Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery.
Asklepios Childrens Hospital Sankt Augustin:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.