Asklepios Childrens Hospital in Sankt Augustin
Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery (303072)
Specialized in: pediatric neurosurgery
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery at the Asklepios Children’s Hospital in Sankt Augustin under the direction of PD Dr. Martina Messing-Jünger specializes in treatment of diseases of the brain and the spinal cord, as well as of the encasing structures and peripheral nerves. The specialists of the Department have a special expertise in the assessment and treatment of neurosurgical diseases in children and adolescents.
The Asklepios Children’s Hospital in Sankt Augustin specializes in the malformations, brain tumors, hydrocephalus as well as electrophysiology. Different types of malformations are often diagnosed in the pediatric neurosurgery. First, there are distinguished the following types: malformations of the skull, brain, spinal column and spinal cord. Besides, combinations of malformations are frequently diagnosed. Vascular malformations are discussed in the section for vascular neurosurgery.
Another focus of the Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery, headed by PD Dr. Martina Messing-Jünger, are brain tumors. Apart from a few exceptions, in particular, in cases when there is diffuse growth in the so-called eloquent brain areas, it is common that an operative removal of tumor issues does significantly correlate with the survival time of the patient. The only exception are secreting germ cell tumors, which have good prospects of a cure also without an operative intervention.
Apart from a surgical intervention, various therapy methods are applied. These include radio-, chemotherapy as well as modern therapy approaches. The latter include treatments with antibodies against certain cells and growth factors, such as the formation of new blood vessels, which are responsible for the tumor’s spread and prevent the vaccination with specially cultivated defense cells, which should help to combat the tumor.
The Asklepios Children’s Hospital in Sankt Augustin treats the following diseases, pathologies and injuries of the central and peripheral nervous system:
- Spina bifida (incomplete closure of the backbone and membranes around the spinal cord)
- Tumors of the CNS
- Cystic brain lesions
- Premature craniosynostosis (premature closure of the cranial sutures)
- Tethered cord syndrome (TCS)
- Craniocerebral injuries
- Nerve injuries
- Instabilities of the spinal column and craniocervical junction
- 1987 Graduation from Düsseldorf University Medical School
- 1987 – 1994 Neurosurgical training at the Düsseldorf University Hospital
- After 1994 Subspecialization in Pediatric Neurosurgery and establishment of a Pediatric Neurosurgery Section at Düsseldorf University; Hospital consultant in General Neurosurgery, main fields: Microsurgery, Neurovascular Surgery, Neuroendoscopy
- Since 2007 Head of Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Asklepios Childrens Hospital Sankt Augustin (teaching hospital of Semmelweis University, Campus Hamburg) and Director of the Surgical Center (ZeKON)
- 1988 – 1995 Coordinator of a statewide research-project on lumbar disc herniations
- 2000 – 2006 Leader of a research- and working group in clinical and scientific fields of Pediatric Neurosurgery, Hydrocephalus and Pathologies of CSF spaces (major interests: Dysraphic Disorders, Gravitational Valves and Neuroendoscopy)
- Since 2007 Scientific projects on craniosynostosis, hydrocephalus, occult and open spinal dysraphism, CVJ pathologies
- Executive board of German Society of Neurosurgery (DGNC)
- German Academy of Neurosurgery (GANS)
- German Neurosurgical Professional Board (BDNC)
- European Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery (ESPN) (President 2016 – 2018)
- International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery (ISPN)
- Until 2013 Examination Committee of the EANS
- Scientific Board of the German Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus Society (AsbH)
- Scientific Board of the German Syringomyelia and Chiari Society (DSCM)
- German Pediatric Neurosurgery Course (Section Pediatric Neurosurgery of the DGNC)
- Reviewer / Regional Editor of scientific journals
Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery.
Asklepios Childrens Hospital in Sankt Augustin:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home