ATOS Clinic Heidelberg
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology (364711)
Specialized in: endocrinology, diabetology
About the Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology at ATOS Clinic Heidelberg
The Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology at the ATOS Clinic Heidelberg offers a full range of services in these areas of medicine. The department specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of endocrine disorders, type 1 and type 2 diabetes, impaired glucose tolerance and gestational diabetes mellitus. The medical team of the department provides a high level of medical care, and also supports patients at all stages of treatment. The chief physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Christoph Hasslacher.
Thanks to the development of new drugs and methods of therapy, more accurate laboratory studies, there are many new options for the treatment of diabetes today. The department offers differentiated therapy, which adapts to the individual life situation of the patient. In addition to long-term care for patients suffering from diabetes, the department carries out a special diagnostic program, through which doctors effectively identify diabetes, the causes of its development and other endocrine disorders. This diagnostics covers the check of blood sugar level, insulin secretion and insulin resistance, assessment of the risks of the development of concomitant diseases (heart, vessels, kidneys, nerves, etc.), and also check for the presence of concomitant endocrine disorders.
Based on the results of the examination, the doctor suggests options for treatment to the patient. Therapeutic options cover not only medical treatment and proper lifestyle, but also the latest technical methods (for example, daily monitoring of glucose level, insulin pump) and transplantation of autologous stem cells.
In addition, the department offers a special preventive diagnosis of diabetes, aimed at identifying the risks of the disease, which are people who are overweight, high blood pressure or the presence of cases of pathology in the family history. The survey covers a variety of laboratory tests and an optional study of the intestinal microbiome, as a violation of the composition of intestinal bacteria plays an important role in the development of diabetes mellitus. After receiving all the diagnostic results, the doctor tells the patient about preventive measures.
A number of laboratory studies of the most important endocrine organs are performed to identify endocrine disorders, which help characterize their current functioning.
The range of the department’s services includes:
- Fractional control of blood glucose level
- Special laboratory tests to identify the following conditions:
- Transient Diabetes Mellitus
- Gestational diabetes mellitus
- Autoimmune diabetes mellitus
- Violations of insulin secretion
- Resistance to insulin
- Other endocrinological disorders
- Diagnosis to identify the risks of developing accompanying illnesses:
- Study of the heart and blood vessels
- Checking blood pressure
- Nephropathy, neuropathy
- Study of intestinal microbiome
- Technical diagnostics
- Checking the serviceability of the glucometer, the condition of the cannula of an insulin pump, etc.
- Continuous measurement of glucose (glucose sensor)
- Pump insulin therapy
- Other methods of diagnostics and treatment
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Christoph Hasslacher
- Study of medicine at the Hannover Medical School.
- 1975 Physician-specialist in the field of internal medicine, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1978 Defense of doctoral dissertation, internal medicine.
- 1980 Appointed a senior physician.
- 1985 Appointed a freelance professor at Heidelberg University.
- 1991 The name of the field: endocrinology, diabetology.
- 1993 The name of the field: angiology.
- 1993 Chief physician of the Department of Internal Medicine, St. Joseph's Hospital, Heidelberg.
- 2009 Establishment and management of the Heidelberg Institute of Diabetes and the Department of Clinical Studies at St. Joseph's Hospital, Heidelberg.
- Qualification of the doctor-auditor for conducting clinical studies.
Membership in Professional Societies
- German Diabetes Society.
- European Society for the Study of Diabetes.
- American Diabetes Association.
- German Society of Nephrology.
- German Hypertension League.
Photo of the doctor: (c) ATOS Klinik Heidelberg
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology.
ATOS Clinic Heidelberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.