ATOS Orthoparc Clinic Cologne
Department of Spinal Surgery (389422)
Specialized in: spinal surgery
About the department
The Department of Spinal Surgery at the ATOS ORTHOPARC Clinic Cologne offers the full range of both conservative and surgical methods for treating spinal diseases. Thanks to the specialization in the field of neurosurgery, patients are treated with the use of sparing, minimally invasive techniques. The indications for the operation are very strict and are determined on an individual basis. At the same time, the doctors of the department rely on many years of experience and their own know-how in the field of spinal surgery. The department is headed by Dr. med. Charilaos Christopoulos.
The department presents the full range of conservative procedures ranging from the treatment of facet joints (cryo-, thermo-, laser therapy for intervertebral joints) up to the 3D X-ray-guided treatment of nerve roots. Due to cooperation with the Department of Physiotherapy, combinations of various therapeutic techniques are also available.
In the field of surgical treatment, various modern methods are available. For example, for the treatment of cervical intervertebral disc herniation here is used a proven microsurgical ventral fusion with the help of PEEK ceramics (PEEK Cage). Cage is a special fixator for the spaces between the vertebrae, which replaces the damaged intervertebral disc after its microsurgical removal. Cages allow to restore the natural relative position of the vertebrae and thus to achieve a long-term stabilization of the affected region of the spine. In this case, the fixation of separate vertebrae practically does not affect the flexibility of the entire cervical spine.
As an alternative, especially in young patients with an insignificant degree of degenerative changes in the spine, intervertebral disc prostheses are used to stabilize the vertebrae in herniated intervertebral disc (cervical spine). The mobility of the affected segment is maintained by means of an artificial intervertebral disk. Both methods are very convenient for the patient, since they are characterized by the shortest periods of mobilization and minimal postoperative pain.
The service range of the department includes the treatment of the following diseases:
- Cervical disc herniation
- Thoracic disc herniation
- Lumbar disc herniation
- Spinal stenosis
- Slipped vertebrae (spondylolisthesis)
- And other spinal diseases.
- 2012 - 2015 Partner of the Sana Clinic Remscheid.
- Since 2011 Chief Physician of the Department of Spinal Surgery at the ORTHOPARC Clinic.
- 2010 - 2011 Private Practice in the Spine Center of the MediaPark Clinic in Cologne and Consultant of the Sana Clinic Remscheid.
- 2006 - 2010 Senior Physician, Department of Neurosurgery, Clinical Center Herdecke, Witten-Herdecke University.
- 2006 Doctoral degree at the University of Cologne.
- 2005 - 2006 Medical Specialist in Neurosurgery, Department of Neurosurgery at the Cologne-Merheim Hospital.
- 2005 Qualified as Neurosurgeon.
- 2002 - 2005 Assistant Physician in the Department of Neurosurgery, Cologne-Merheim Hospital, hospitals in Cologne.
- 1999 - 2002 Assistant Physician of the Department of Neurosurgery, Südharzkrankenhaus Nordhausen, Academic Hospital of the University of Göttingen.
- 1997 - 1999 Intern in the Department of Neurosurgery at the Berlin-Friedrichshain Hospital, Humboldt University of Berlin.
- 1990 - 1996 Study of Medicine at the Humboldt University of Berlin (Charite Campus).
Membership in Societies
- German Society of Neurosurgery (DGNC).
- German Spine Society (DWG).
- Greek Society of Neurosurgery (ENE).
- Medical Association of North Rhine (ÄKN0).
- Athens Medical Association (AMA).
- European Society AO-Spine.
Certificates and Competencies
- Master's Certificate of the German Society for Spinal Surgery (DWG).
- Right to conduct refresher courses to become a qualified neurosurgeon.
Department of Spinal Surgery.
ATOS Orthoparc Clinic Cologne:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home